how do I get rid of a script over my avatar's head?

LadyBooBoo Olivieri

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

There may be two diferent kinds of words over your head.  Everyone always has a name and (sometimes) a group tag overhead.  You can't ever get rid of your name, but you can change or remove the group tag by selecting a different group from the list of groups that you belong to, or selecting "None."

1. Select Edit > Groups from the menus at the top of the Second Life window.
  2. Click on the name of the group you wish to make active. You'll be using the title that group has given you.
  3. Click the Activate button.
  4. When the group name changes to bold, click Close.

The other kind of words are floating text.  Those are created by a script in some object that you are wearing.  You can figure out which object it is by opening the Worn tab in your Inventory and looking to see what's currently attached, probably to your head somewhere.  Popular attachment points are your nose, mouth, or chin.  When you find the object, just detach it and the text will go away.  If you want to change the words in the text, you will need to open the object with your Edit tool, look in the Contents tab, and then open the script.  It should be fairly obvious where to change the words once you have the sipt open (if you have permission to modiy it).  Save the updated script and you should have new words.

• Like 2

Hi,

Welcome to Second Life. Every avatar has a tag over the head. You can turn off display in Preferences (Ctrl+P---> General). You may also talk about titler which is a kind of attachment. If it is an attachment you need to find it in inventory and talke it off.

You can turn on voice in Preferences ---> Sound and Media --> Allow voice communication (I don't have English language on at the moment so expressions can be a little different). You need to find a land where voice communication is allowed and you can use voice. At some lands voice can be turned off and you will not able to communicate.

If you have any questions please write them in comments.

• Like 1

Hello.

1)Open your inventory --> Outfits --> find the script and detach it. If you have difficulty to find it, right click on your avatar --> Detach --> Detach all

2)You need another script to make the letters to stay over your head. There are many products about that, usually the called "Titlers" and you can find them in Marketplace at most. Also it's possible to find a free one in world by your friends

3)For voice now again your need a script about it. For sounds now you need a script about it. Usually they are huds. You wear the hud, you see it in your screen, you click it and you get a menu for sounds. You find them in Marketplace, i am not sure if you can find a free one in world. Possible also to find gestures for sounds. Some of them are free, some other no.

I hope to understand right your questions. If you need more help, let us know.

(Thanks for your point Rolig) :)

I know it Rolig just i am not sure reading her questions if she means voice or sounds. Also i am not sure what she means about her 2 first questions. It's a question where all of us answered different things. I admit that i wanted to write: "for sounds you need a script" and i combined it (considered that she asks about sounds and no voice) because her questions are about scripts, so i got her last question in connection with her other ones.

As Rolig said the text over your head will either be the contents of your Name/Group Tag or a Hover Text Titler that you wear to put whatever message you want in whatever colour text.

If you are wearing the second type, you should find it in your inventory and it probably came with a notecard of instructions on how to change the text and colour, which will be in the same folder as the Titler.

If you want your avatar to have a voice that is different from your own voice, you can get Voice Morphing which is subscribed to 30 days at a time. You can find the details here: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Voice-morphing/ta-p/700167

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.