Neck

AidySL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I searched the whole forum, and can not keep looking in the mirror, then my ava, then the mirror, etc. etc. 

How long does a neck have to be? It looks ridiculous long, but when I change it, it looks even longer or way to short. 

Can anyone tell me if there is anything on SL what tells me what the standards should be? 

I am back to the original shape, does that matter? 

Maybe the picture isn't really good, but... so long :-)

Snapshot_002.png

this is just a personal opinion dear, but i think the lenght in there is just fine, it just has to be wider... maybe shouders a bit wider also, but that changes alot with the pose you pick...

i dont belive there is a standard. it is just a matter of aesthethics of each person. i think if anyone would try to implement a standard, lots of peeps would go burst in flames about "individuality" 😅

Edited by dokitten
  • Like 1

I agree that the neck ought to be a little wider, but it can vary a lot from person to person.

image.thumb.png.8a8bc8297e78379d7a0878c7c91e90b9.png

A generic ratio I've heard is that the neck should have the same width as the eyes from their outer corners. Judging by this portrait that appears to be roughly correct. Length feels like a more individual thing.

• Like 2

Seconding dokitten's suggestion that the length is fine, but I think what's causing you to question it is the width. Do you have a good-sized mirror that you can place near you while you work on your shape? If so, take a look at the width of your neck compared to the width of your jaw (bearing in mind the shape of your jaw) and you'll get an idea of where it should more realistically be. Yes, some women do have thin necks, but a quick trawl through Google for random images of women gives a very similar width to the neck, as below:

neck_examples.png.dce730945d72bc9b644e370fc64abea6.png

If you hold a straight edge against those (tilting it as required by the angle of the image) you'll see that on all four of them the side of the neck corresponds roughly with the outer corner of the eye. It's the jaw shape that can change how the neck looks.The neck of the woman at the top-left looks thinner because she has a wide, square jaw, whereas the neck of the woman at the top-right looks thicker because her face is longer and narrower. The woman on the lower-left has a heart-shaped face, so her neck appears in-between those sizes, and the woman on the lower-right has her head tilted back to show the width of the neck as it joins the skull.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 3

Thank you!! Congrats on me trying out everything but making it wider. Not sure if that is even possible, but I have a look tomorrow. And Skell.... No words... 

That is the reason I said maybe the photo isn't really good. If you look at it online, it looks like a ....let's say baby-giraffe. 

Thank you all for your help. I feel less Zoo-ie now. 

Thank you. I did try a lot, never ever making it wider. Head smaller, now that is the most stupid thing you can ever do. What a bad look. But I try more, and if it doesn't work i just think it's ok. Thanks again.

Remember that field-of-view/Zoom has a lot to say. These two pictures are taken with the exact same head shape/same pose, but the first one is taken with the standard viewer FOV, the second zoomed in with 5x CTRL-0 to get a less distorted perspective...

Snapshot_2422_cr.thumb.jpg.d4c5d0d43d775b3ff02a256819fb5722.jpg

Snapshot_2421_cr.thumb.jpg.000fa11f89939bc8e3a0c537c9c7e6f1.jpg

Neck looks a bit skinnier on the first one, right?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Angelina String said:

zoomed in with 5x CTRL-0 to get a less distorted perspective

Ditto this - I have always been recommending for all photography and especially when editing your shape (I always do x6 or x8, myself) - the default Fiel-of-View when editing is what created so many disproportioned avatars when their typists think they are properly proportioned. Especially legs and arms :)

• Like 1

I tried to find a face proportion drawing which showed the neck but I'm not seeing one.

As a guide, the distance between the bottom of the nose to the bottom of the chin is also the length of the neck. However there are all kinds of things which can change this like chin angle or where exactly do you call the bottom of the neck ... so just take it as a rough estimate and then tweak it to what you think looks right.

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I tried to find a face proportion drawing which showed the neck but I'm not seeing one.

As a guide, the distance between the bottom of the nose to the bottom of the chin is also the length of the neck. However there are all kinds of things which can change this like chin angle or where exactly do you call the bottom of the neck ... so just take it as a rough estimate and then tweak it to what you think looks right.

Of the many varying degrees of variety is sizes and lengths, the neck is crazy variable. The width is generally consistent (rarely thinner, but can go wider for muscle men and women) - but I have seen RL lengths of the neck that are crazy (when you pay attention to them). For instance, look at some runway models: human Giraffes. And is when adding weight (as in over-weight) everything gets thicker so the neck *appears* a lot shorter (ever see those people and you go: 'they don't have a neck!"?) :)

Though all in all, I suspect the length also is consistent and it is the body-weight of the person that makes it look longer or shorter.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.