Identifying Duplicate Items in Invesntory

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No, sadly.  Most people fail to appreciate the importance of having a sensible inventory filing system with a unique name for every item until it is WAY too late to do anything about it.  In fact, I have never met anyone who claims to be so well organized and disciplined.  It's up to you to put version numbers on updated copies of items and to add a date or other information so that you know which ones are most recent.  If you can train yourself to do all of that, you will probably be the first in the history of SL.

Unfortunately, of course,  you can't do anything bout no-mod items that you get from other people, so even if you are truly obsessive about filing, you're screwed.  I'm sorry.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I have never met anyone who claims to be so well organized and disciplined.

~Raises her hand~ But technically, we've never met. LOL I will say this though, you are very right about not realizing it needs to be done until it is (usually) far too late. I recognized I needed to do something relatively early on. It took me about two months going through *everything*, almost every day for at least an hour or two in doing it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Wouldn't the two (similarly named) items have different UUIDs?

Objects in inventory do not have UUIDs, so that won't help.  An object  is only assigned a UUID as it is rezzed and then, yes, it is unique to that instance.  For at least some other assets like textures, though, that should work.

Edited by Rolig Loon

22 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Unfortunately, of course,  you can't do anything bout no-mod items that you get from other people, so even if you are truly obsessive about filing, you're screwed.  I'm sorry.

This makes me want to rename all the little things I've made to give away to friends... "Object".

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Objects in inventory do not have UUIDs, so that won't help.  An object  is only assigned a UUID as it is rezzed and then, yes, it is unique to that instance.  For at least some other assets like textures, though, that should work.

Actually, a copied simple item does have the same UUID unless someone made an alteration to one of them. (e.g. eyebrowshapers, skins, notecards)  But this doesn't apply to complex items like hair or AOs.  I have gotten rid of many duplicates by comparing UUIDs.

> Unfortunately, of course,  you can't do anything bout no-mod items that you get from other people, so even if you are truly obsessive about filing, you're screwed.

Folders and notecards can help mitigate this by giving you a place to explain to yourself.

Edited by LibGwen

9 hours ago, LibGwen said:

Actually, a copied simple item does have the same UUID unless someone made an alteration to one of them. (e.g. eyebrowshapers, skins, notecards)  But this doesn't apply to complex items like hair or AOs.  I have gotten rid of many duplicates by comparing UUIDs.

I was talking specifically about objects, not generically about items in inventory. Each rezzed instance of an object is unique.  As it is rezzed, the object has a unique UUID, different from every other instance of the same object.  Before it is rezzed, an object has no UUID at all, because it does not truly exist as an entity.  As I said earlier, that is not true for other assets like textures, scripts, and so on.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.