Viewer Crash/Hangs

LordHappycat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This is something I've been dealing with for the past month now and it's aggravating. I primarily use FireStorm viewer but it appears that any viewer I use, it'll be as affected. I'll install, say FireStorm, and it'll run fine. Once I'm done and I go to run it again another day, it shows a white screen and it hangs. I can't do anything to it other than close it after it says it's not responding.

It's done this to Alchemy and it's even done this to the SL viewer. The only way I'd get them to run again, is to go into Regedit, after uninstalling them and delete almost every registry key tied to FireStorm or any other viewer I've used. My NVIDIA had a driver update recently, dated back to May 27th and it's updated. Thought that was it, but no. I go and delete the folder in the Roaming folder of my user file and no it didn't work either. I've tried downloading a past version of FireStorm, thinking maybe this latest version was a bust, but no that wasn't it either. I tried a 32-bit version of FireStorm, thinking maybe the 64 bit version was buggy and it wasn't that either.

I run on Windows 10 Pro, with a MSI Armor 1060 6GB card, with a Ryzen 2600X CPU. What's going on with the viewers?

8 answers to this question

Can you fix your computer to allow the viewer to launch to the login screen.
Then from the login screen go to Help -> About Second Life  (About Firestorm), Click the "Copy to Clipboard" button & paste all your system information here.

Then run a session where you reproduce the viewer launching to a hung white screen.
Let the viewer sit hung for a minute or so & then quit the viewer.
Then BEFORE you relaunch the viewer again, can you zip up the viewer logs folder & upload the zip somewhere.  If you prefer you can email me the logs zip - whirly.fizzle at phoenixviewer.com.

For Firestorm, here's how to find the logs folder: https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/file_a_jira#how_to_give_us_your_logs

Are you using multiple monitors?

Edited by Whirly Fizzle

Hiya HappyCat,

I'm really not sure this is some fault of the viewers, it would be raining complaints if it was, i can only assume that this is an issue with your setup, and by the looks of it, it kinda feels like a rights issue, the viewer is not able to write its files on log off, unable to write to the registry or something in that direction, next time you have that pesky white screen you can try to right click on the shortcut and run as administrator, see if that will make the viewer start, if it does, it is definitely a rights issue.

9 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Can you fix your computer to allow the viewer to launch to the login screen.
Then from the login screen go to Help -> About Second Life  (About Firestorm), Click the "Copy to Clipboard" button & paste all your system information here.

Then run a session where you reproduce the viewer launching to a hung white screen.
Let the viewer sit hung for a minute or so & then quit the viewer.
Then BEFORE you relaunch the viewer again, can you zip up the viewer logs folder & upload the zip somewhere.  If you prefer you can email me the logs zip - whirly.fizzle at phoenixviewer.com.

For Firestorm, here's how to find the logs folder: https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/file_a_jira#how_to_give_us_your_logs

Are you using multiple monitors?

I have two monitors.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ePE2-cAEcbT_LlQSb9Fk3LQs8KHPhYm_

• Thanks 1

Bit of an update: It's apparent that I can only run the viewer again and again if I continue deleting the whole folder in my Roaming folder. Which is essentially just clearing my settings over and over again at the expense of running the viewer. That's quite annoying.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LordHappycat said:

Bit of an update: It's apparent that I can only run the viewer again and again if I continue deleting the whole folder in my Roaming folder. Which is essentially just clearing my settings over and over again at the expense of running the viewer. That's quite annoying.

Ok that sort of makes sense after looking at your logs.
The session that freezes does so just before the stage that the viewer has to write stuff to the settings folder.

10 hours ago, LordHappycat said:

I have two monitors.

Ok this is my first suspect.
Do you have the viewer set to launch on your secondary monitor?
If so, try moving Firestorm over to the primary monitor & see if this helps.
We have had several reports of the login screen remaining white when the viewer is opened on the secondary monitor on Nvidia systems.

14 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Ok that sort of makes sense after looking at your logs.
The session that freezes does so just before the stage that the viewer has to write stuff to the settings folder.

Ok this is my first suspect.
Do you have the viewer set to launch on your secondary monitor?
If so, try moving Firestorm over to the primary monitor & see if this helps.
We have had several reports of the login screen remaining white when the viewer is opened on the secondary monitor on Nvidia systems.

I don't think I can set it to launch on second monitor. Didn't see any settings where I could. It just happens to launch there anyways and I drag it to the first monitor.

But perhaps that's something to be worked on.

To re-affirm what I've said, according to Pheonix's answer about multi-monitoring:

"If you have two (or more) monitors and prefer to use Firestorm on one other than the primary, move it over as you normally would; but before closing it the first time, make sure the window is NOT maximized. This will save the window position when you next go to start the viewer. On subsequent runs you can maximize the viewer."

There does not appear to be any settings to really deal with this. It's just, no matter how little or how big of a change I make my settings, I'm not coming back on the next time I want to run the viewer.

UPDATE: While the settings don't exist in Firestorm, they exist to NVIDIA. I played around in the settings and found the option I wanted - Monitor Preference. I toggled my Dell ST2421L monitor to be the primary. Now the viewer will open without fail. It kept opening to the HP W2082 monitor which I presume didn't meet some kind of requirement for the viewer but the Dell did. Quite odd but intriguing to me.

Anywho, consider this matter closed and solved. Thanks, Whirly, for assistance and suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.