Question regarding mods and additions to new homes

Talia Heartsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To answer the original question I don't have a set amount in mind when I decorate, but I do try and keep the land impact as low as possible. Sometimes I have to factor in what I want more; detail or clutter, and that in turn defines the majority of the decorating process.

Since I created my own additions I've been able to tweak things until I was relatively happy with the outcome. While I could still change the LOD on one aspect (a planter box out the front), in all reality I'm at the stage I can overlook it. My house is set on a hill and at a distance away from the road so people have to cam to see my place anyway. Raising the LI for a better LOD seemed like take it or leave it type deal.

As for the numbers: I meshed the interior walls (for the Adams) to create an additional bathroom and second bedroom, doorways, skirting boards and floors for 12 LI. The fence, two garden beds, fire pit and addition to steps are 17, and pergolas front and back are 2 LI each for a total of 33. Ideal for me, maybe not as detailed as others may like.

I also wanted to have room for my Zooby Animesh baby so I had to accommodate prims for that (averaging 105 Land Impact, depending on her attachments). My main goal was to ensure that I had a house that I could live in and looked lived in too, as opposed to just another display home. That meant adding clutter. To do all that, on top of furnishing the extra two rooms, came at a cost. Not everything is animated so that meant I could link a lot together. But then I also don't need every item of furniture to be usable either, so its another trade off that has worked for me. Helps in terms of less scripts to run, but then I have more textures and objects to render so... *shrugs*

Edited by RaeLeeH
Dreaded typos >.<
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Drop your draw distance (rather aggressively), the less you have to download the faster everything that's left will pop into view.

You can mess about dropping your bandwidth setting, again, be aggressive it doesn't affect the speed that textures or inventory are downloaded.

Obviously it won't affect the speed at which your inventory is loading. But, almost equally obviously it seems, why wouldn't it affect texture download speed?! I usually have mine set at 3,000.

7 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Obviously it won't affect the speed at which your inventory is loading. But, almost equally obviously it seems, why wouldn't it affect texture download speed?! I usually have mine set at 3,000.

The bandwidth slider is misnamed.

It only applies to UDP data (typically used for time sensitive stuff, that once the moment has passed that data is is of no use), which the server shoots at your viewer as fast as it can. If your viewer can't keep up with the hail of incoming packets .. you get packet loss. The speed of your actual internet connection is irrelevant to how fast you (and your setup) can catch the incoming UDP bullets. Data transport is not guaranteed.

Textures are downloaded over HTTP .. and will download just as fast as they can, you have no options in the viewer that will affect this. if UDP is catching bullets, HTTP (over TCP) is more pass the parcel. Data transport is guaranteed.

LL have been slowly moving everything they can over to HTTP.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, CoffeeDujour said:

The bandwidth slider is misnamed.

It only applies to UDP data (typically used for time sensitive stuff, that once the moment has passed that data is is of no use), which the server shoots at your viewer as fast as it can. If your viewer can't keep up with the hail of incoming packets .. you get packet loss. The speed of your actual internet connection is irrelevant to how fast you (and your setup) can catch the incoming UDP bullets. Data transport is not guaranteed.

Textures are downloaded over HTTP .. and will download just as fast as they can, you have no options in the viewer that will affect this. if UDP is catching bullets, HTTP (over TCP) is more pass the parcel. Data transport is guaranteed.

LL have been slowly moving everything they can over to HTTP.

Cool, thx. :) You're the first one to explain it to me in a way I actually understood.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 2:03 AM, Marianne Little said:

Here is the "new" card compared to the old: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-560-Ti/2577vs2180

I could manage SL on the card from 2011, but the card from 2014 is so much better. And the price isn't so bad for used cards.

Well - an update - Thanks to all who commented with helpful info about my poor graphics.  I tried all the suggestions, changing settings till the cows came home...I did find settings that helped a little, but not that much.

I was all set to find a better graphics card.....but with research...I realized that I can't put a better graphics card in my All in One computer...it has an integrated card - very limited.

So - I just bought a new computer yesterday, but don't have it set up yet, I will have to wait for my new monitor to arrive next week.....

Can't wait to get it set up and be able to see and enjoy Second Life better.

Again - thanks to all who sent me helpful info.

By the way Marianne - your pics of your house that you shared were gorgeous...love that living room wallpaper....and the dining room paper too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 8:04 AM, Blush Bravin said:

When I build an add-on I don't really let the LI determine what I will do. I build what I think looks good keeping in mind LODs. I do, of course, aim for low LI but sometimes in order to get the details I consider so important, it's impossible to do the add-on without spending a few extras prims. With my add-ons, and I would guess others are the same, the purchaser can decide what they want to use, as most of mine are a combination of pieces. That's another reason why I don't concern myself with the LI as much, because those details are important to me, but for my customer they might not be so they can remove them and reduce the LI. Most of my add-ons are around 10-15 LI, with the most being 50 which was the wrap around porch with screened room add-on for the Continental. But that porch completely changed the house so I felt 50 LI was a bargain.

I agree with you Blush. My issues are beautiful design and bang for your Linden buck. Who cares about LI if it's ugly or falls apart?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trinity Aironaut said:

I agree with you Blush. My issues are beautiful design and bang for your Linden buck. Who cares about LI if it's ugly or falls apart?

I do!  I want something pretty and low impact.   Call me greedy but really.  With only 351 prims, I do not wish to spend the bulk on addons.   I need room to decorate too.   There should be some middle ground and thought given to the customers as well.  If it's pretty but cost me 150LI. i don't care how nice it looks.   it's too much to use from the allowance given.  IMHO

I hadn't ever counted mine up but just did. 45 li for front porch with patio and widow's walk, carport, sheltered patio with roof and a pretty good sized bonus room with french doors.   

I DO LIKE clutter, but as I am mostly and OUTSIDE gal (or at least open patio and the like with a "breeze" wafting through) I probably would be willing to spend more on the buildings and outside flora and clutter than most folks.

I am very happy with the mix I ended up with and it looks pretty cluttered inside also. That is mostly because I used well-made low land impact furniture and decor. Some is fairly old as quite a few of the top designers have gone over into the high LI and texture camp and while that works OK on a full sim, not so much on a 1024.  So carefully picking out items and then linking .5 ish items together when I could made it all work out well. I still have a few LI to use when something new and great comes along. 

I haven't really looked at what is available for add-ons but if there was something spectacular out there that was 100 li and I loved -- and either couldn't make or didn't want to take the time to make -- it I would use despite the LI cost.   It is very much (for me) using the things that make you feel comfortable.  LOD is of course always an issue for me so that is a given.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 2:04 PM, Blush Bravin said:

When I build an add-on I don't really let the LI determine what I will do. I build what I think looks good keeping in mind LODs. I do, of course, aim for low LI but sometimes in order to get the details I consider so important, it's impossible to do the add-on without spending a few extras prims. With my add-ons, and I would guess others are the same, the purchaser can decide what they want to use, as most of mine are a combination of pieces. That's another reason why I don't concern myself with the LI as much, because those details are important to me, but for my customer they might not be so they can remove them and reduce the LI. Most of my add-ons are around 10-15 LI, with the most being 50 which was the wrap around porch with screened room add-on for the Continental. But that porch completely changed the house so I felt 50 LI was a bargain.

You have me torn, lady. :) I want to do a Barnacle next, or an Evening Star, but only your addons are even worth considering. But if I use your addons, I basically relinquish all possible claims to originality. What to do, what to do?! 😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Trinity Aironaut said:

I agree with you agreeing with Blush. :) Things need to be pretty, foremost; when it's fugly, who cares about LI!? I mean, I try and shop for low LI (for the Linden homes), but if stuff is dreadful to look at, then the LI issue is moot to begin with.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

You have me torn, lady. :) I want to do a Barnacle next, or an Evening Star, but only your addons are even worth considering. But if I use your addons, I basically relinquish all possible claims to originality. What to do, what to do?! 😉

That's not true. You absolutely add your own personality to whatever you do. My add-ons are just a canvas. The owner is who brings it to life. 

• Like 9

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.