What is an Offline IM, and why would I want one?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't understand why on SL there is no Messager like in other plateform. Look how nice is Gmail. Even Facebook has a good messaging tool. Here you have Instant message and notecard. Notecard is very complicated to write, send and even find. You don't know wher they are. You don't know who write and when and the reason. I know maybe everybody are conforatble with that communication tool but I find complex. You have 2 instead of one.

When I'm offline, my IMs go to email, and then when I come back online those IMs also appear, up to the offline IM cap. So far so good. Now, what happens after the cap is reached and somebody tries to send me an object (or notecard or landmark or whatever)? Ordinarily, I'd suppose those inventory transfers would be completely unrelated to any IM cap, but I have a nagging memory that when one sets the avatar mode to "Busy" that also blocks incoming inventory transfers as well as IMs (so I never ever use "Busy" mode).

1. Such Busy-mode behavior may (should?) have nothing to do with offline IM behavior, and
  2. That supposed Busy-mode behavior might be non-existent anyway (frankly it seems too brain-damaged to be real, but I'm sure I've read it at some point, somewhere), or
  3. Maybe after IMs are capped inventory transfers are dropped similar to this supposed Busy-mode behavior.

Anybody know?

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

When I'm offline, my IMs go to email, and then when I come back online those IMs also appear, up to the offline IM cap. So far so good. Now, what happens after the cap is reached and somebody tries to send me an object (or notecard or landmark or whatever)? Ordinarily, I'd suppose those inventory transfers would be completely unrelated to any IM cap, but I have a nagging memory that when one sets the avatar mode to "Busy" that also blocks incoming inventory transfers as well as IMs (so I never ever use "Busy" mode).

1. Such Busy-mode behavior may (should?) have nothing to do with offline IM behavior, and
  2. That supposed Busy-mode behavior might be non-existent anyway (frankly it seems too brain-damaged to be real, but I'm sure I've read it at some point, somewhere), or
  3. Maybe after IMs are capped inventory transfers are dropped similar to this supposed Busy-mode behavior.

Anybody know?

My understanding has always been that busy mode blocks inventory offers, and that the cap applies to them as well. Just found this in the wiki:

When a Resident is offline, up to 25 messages (50 if a premium account holder) will be stored and delivered at the next login. This limit includes inventory offers, group notices, group invitation and IMs. All messages above this limit will be capped and not delivered.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Instant_Message

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Anybody know?

20 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

My understanding has always been that busy mode blocks inventory offers, and that the cap applies to them as well. Just found this in the wiki:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Instant_Message

You can set "Automatically accept inventory offers" (paraphrased, as it is phrased differently per viewer) - if you turn that on then you will receive inventory even after the cap (supposedly - I rarely reach IM caps, I'm a loser. LOL)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

You can set "Automatically accept inventory offers" (paraphrased, as it is phrased differently per viewer) - if you turn that on then you will receive inventory even after the cap (supposedly - I rarely reach IM caps, I'm a loser. LOL)

Oh, interesting! I don't think I've ever had that set because who knows what some dork might send to me, so I want to see what it is before accepting. lol

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Oh, interesting! I don't think I've ever had that set because who knows what some dork might send to me, so I want to see what it is before accepting. lol

Precisely. LOL I'm the same way; No inventory for you! ~EJECT~, You! You are allowed, welcome to my home. ~NEXT!?~

• Haha 1

On 6/5/2019 at 1:33 PM, BelindaN said:

/me facepalms

I only just realised that offline IM to e-mail is possible.

I need to tick that box later today...........👩‍💻

I'll send you a message later offline:D  Too many girls got the IM offline feature disabled. Respect to you. 

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2019 at 11:33 AM, Alyona Su said:

If you are *smart enough* to have IMs sent to the email then you will *never* miss an IM while not logged into SL

This is only applicable when the message system(s) are fully functional. They have never actually been fully functional-which is a huge part of why such messaging systems (methodologies, really) are buggy across the entire platform (and across various different email providers), regardless of viewer(s), or method, used by sender and recipient. At its base level, it's not always fully functional. In fact, it's been increasingly less functional over the years.  That's been an issue that has plagued sl for longer than I've been a regular participant. Even LL has said as much in past discussions, typically with the "we'll look into it" mantra. It's not a HUGE issue for a large (perhaps not majority is a better phrase, not sure) portion of sl, but it is an issue that has existed for years, and really ought to be looked into more closely than it has been in the past.  Marketplace messages (sales, reviews, etc) to email is a perfect example of precisely this, it's far, far more buggy than the "offline to email" methodology-that whole system is most definitely broke and it is most definitely broke on LL's end, when it doesn't even work at the same consistency (or not, lol) that offlines to email does. 

That said, they do work, and at times they work far better than other times, unless the system is being particularly buggy and having a temper tantrum which is far more frequent than it used to be, but perhaps not frequent enough for enough people to notice and get up in arms about it.  I got an email not even two weeks ago, for an IM that was sent in October 2018-one I had actually responded to and taken care of...in October 2018 ;)  I also, sometimes, miss IMs to email that I know exist, because I respond to them when I get online. It's not frequent enough to suggest it's my email provider(s), nor is it always frequent enough to suggest LL broke something again, intentionally or otherwise, (my go to mantra when what worked for years stops working with no rhyme, reason, or outside factors, keeps me from getting particularly ornery about it) I have had "offlines to email".set for longer than my pea-brain can remember, apparently. I can't necessarily foist all the blame onto LL when they don't work, again, because of mitigating factors out of their control, like no email system ever being exactly perfect at all times. That's why I don't use absolutes like "never", instead I tell people that if they turn on that feature they won't miss as many messages. 

Probably just my long winded semantics, but..it is what it is :D 

7 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Yes. :) I've never missed an IM in 13 years. Some claim to have. Perhaps I've just been lucky?

Entirely possible, lol. I do actually know people who have never missed them, people who have only missed some, and folks who have missed most.  The latter category is nearly always a mix of email provider issues, plus the system being buggy on LL's end. But, the system really is buggy and has always been, lol. Then again, I nearly always expect most systems(of any sort) to have bugs somewhere along the line. So,I consider it somewhat expected behavior, except when it goes full on fruit loop (which the communication methodologies for LL's various systems have done quite a lot over the years, lol).

The message system(s) in place for the MP are far, far worse than the offlines to email system though, always has been. Although, I'm not really sure precisely why, since I don't know their back end, I do know they're capable of doing better. The fact that offlines to email actually works so much better, even at its worst, is proof they can. 

Edited by Tari Landar

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I still need to figure out how to enable this function, but I know that I was sent an offline IM while I was away, and I didn't get it in my IMs when I logged on...….so it disappeared.

Go to your Dashboard, then click the drop down arrow next to Account. Go to Change Email Settings and check the box next to "I would like to receive offline IMs via email". Save the change, and you're done!

• Thanks 1

I once tested this and sent an alt 100 notecards and prims all numbered from various accounts so that I could see if any numbers went missing and all were accounted for and all offlines of their being sent came through. This was before offlines and such became a 'perk'. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.