Bye Bye Premium

Sean Azambuja

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To Linden Labs, 

[07:06]: I do not care for "Bait And Switch" Programs.  You guys introduce homes only available to Premium Memberships, and as soon as people sign up, you raise the fees??  Thats a classic "Bait And Switch".  Classic!!  I can't pay for a service that operates that way.  Terrible business practice.  And I would've been happy to pay the increase and annual fees if this was introduced in a more ethical way.  Yall can suck an egg on your Premium membership.  LL wont get any $ from me.  -Sean

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

20 minutes ago, Sean Azambuja said:

[07:06]: I do not care for "Bait And Switch" Programs.  You guys introduce homes only available to Premium Memberships, and as soon as people sign up, you raise the fees??  Thats a classic "Bait And Switch".  Classic!!  I can't pay for a service that operates that way.  Terrible business practice.  And I would've been happy to pay the increase and annual fees if this was introduced in a more ethical way.  Yall can suck an egg on your Premium membership.  LL wont get any $ from me.  -Sean

Well Sean, maybe they thought once people saw the new Bellisseria continent with numerous advantages plus the updated new Linden homes that residents would actually want to pay more for the improvements.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sean Azambuja said:

To Linden Labs, 

12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well Sean, maybe they thought once people saw the new Bellisseria content with numerous advantages plus the updated new Linden homes that residents would actually want to pay more for the improvements.

If that is the case, they have over confident.  It is, in fact, the contradiction act by LL. If the new home attract move premium account, it is already a gain. They don't need to rise the fees. Or they rise the fees after all old and new premium settle down in the new Linden Home. 

Edited by Ruslana Koskinen

6 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Imagine the complaints if they had raised the rates first, before revealing the new Linden homes. There would be 2000 threads about "WHY RAISE RATES WHEN WE GET NOTHING IN RETURN????? BYE SL I AM LEAVING U 4EVER!!!"

I agree.

Premium has not been raised, ever! Instead of just raising it and being done, they have started releasing the new homes, which have a thriving community. Those that signed up just for the new houses did so before the price hike. LL even has gone so far as to give a 3 week grace period (starting June 3rd) where current premiums can get another year at the current cost. They did not have to do that at all. So those waiting for a new house will still be paying the same price they were paying before the first house was even released. (And you can take that as meaning the first house in 2010, or the first house in 2019, because the premium has been the same cost since it was introduced.)

Edited by Zoya McDonnagh
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I don't think you can call it "bait and switch" when you pay X for Y, and get exactly Y. The fact that the price has changed after you've paid, but you don't have to pay for the difference or lose anything, you haven't been baited into anything. It's like saying "the grocery store raised the price on this [delicious food item] I bought last week, what a scam!!"

Especially when considering how LL is giving people the option to extend their current Premium with the old rate even after the new rate has been announced seems pretty anti-bait-and-switch.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Sean Azambuja said:

To Linden Labs, 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I really love these open threats to anyone, it's really just a cry for attention, more than anything. If you really wanted to cancel, you would have done it quietly. Not making such a dramatic scene about it. Let me fill you in on something, you're not the victim here. You choose whether or not, you pay to keep these perks.  LL is not forcing you to stay on, nor are they baiting and switching. I really don't get this, he doesn't like the rise, like many of us. But instead of just leaving quietly, he makes a scene and then plays the victim. Well played sir, well played. Lol

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Imagine the complaints if they had raised the rates first, before revealing the new Linden homes. There would be 2000 threads about "WHY RAISE RATES WHEN WE GET NOTHING IN RETURN????? BYE SL I AM LEAVING U 4EVER!!!"

The new homes are not part of the premium offering, they are an inducement to take the offering.

Think of it as buying a car and the salesman offers to throw in an upgraded set of seat covers. You sign on the line and then the bill comes and when you query it, are told "yeah, but we did give you those seat covers".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

The new homes are not part of the premium offering, they are an inducement to take the offering.

Think of it as buying a car and the salesman offers to throw in an upgraded set of seat covers. You sign on the line and then the bill comes and when you query it, are told "yeah, but we did give you those seat covers".

Access to Linden homes is a perk of having a Premium account. No Premium account, no access to Linden homes. So.... you can raise the rates before introducing nice new homes, and have people whine because the perks suck (old homes, ew!), or you can introduce lovely new homes to make the perks more valuable, and then raise the rates. My point was about TIMING, and what timing is most advantageous to LL. 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 3

I wonder how many people purchased Premiums for alts but now feel they need to give some of them up due to the price increase, actually decreasing instead of increasing LL's bottom line. I've heard of a few. Maybe this would only be a temporary decrease in income however.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I wonder how many people purchased Premiums for alts but now feel they need to give some of them up due to the price increase, actually decreasing instead of increasing LL's bottom line. I've heard of a few. Maybe this would only be a temporary decrease in income however.

I have thought about doing that, but so far, my calculations indicate that unless I want to unload all my land, it is cheaper to keep the premium alts and use their land allowances, as opposed to making them basic and paying additional monthly tier fees for the land (especially since I can renew them all at the current rate and not have to worry about a price increase for an additional year). I suppose it really comes down to what the purpose was in making the alts premium in the first place. 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It would likely depend on why the alt was made Premium.  Some folks created an alt to get a second style of Linden Home - have both a house and a houseboat.  Some of those will rethink that with the price increase.

One of my alts is Premium to donate the 1024 tier to the land group.  It is still cheaper to keep that alt Premium rather than having Lil bump up the tier and pay $7 per month - though if $$ are tight, then I would have to consider reducing land size overall.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I can't speak for others, but I am going to try to keep my yearly budget for SL relatively static, so while I may drop one of my premium accounts, LL will still be getting close to the same amount of money from me.  I still think it is worth it, and $600L a week is enough to keep me happy :) For this year, I will try to keep my third account active for as long as possible, but after the grandfathered premium rates are not longer valid, I'll likely drop it if it lasted that long.  So, they will have a slight boost from me this year.

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It would likely depend on why the alt was made Premium.  Some folks created an alt to get a second style of Linden Home - have both a house and a houseboat.  Some of those will rethink that with the price increase.

This is why I made my alt  get premium. She will stay premium since she is on quarterly and her plot is nicer than mine. 600 a week for 4 weeks is roughly what I would be spending in buying L's so its worth it to keep both going and the added benefits of the LH's. I lived in other "communities" but left due to the clique feel. Belli is definitely more open.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I have already cut down the number of my premiums with 50%. Due to a serious drop in my income in January. Things looked rough for a while. Last month things look a bit more positive, and the extended period of 1 year more for the old price, it is actually possible for me and one alt.

I never cared for premium when all one could have was 512m and 117 prim, so for me, the price rise came a bit sudden. I have not been premium so long.

I know it's not been any increase in Premium for years and years, but let me be totally frank: It wasn't worth to pay for before they increased land to 1024 and upped the LI even a bit more. Not worth it for me.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 4

The value of premium is still good at $99, that's been covered, but jeez.. even more so if you're already living in Bellisseria. It seems rash to give it up.Don't do it! I spent the last year coveting various pieces of not-ugly mainland before Bellisseria was dropped in our laps and it would be a considerable outlay to match even the most average spot on the new continent.  18 months worth of premium for Horizons, 3 years for Bay City. And in those 18 months, who knows... new themes and enticements. The nature of the alternatives won't change. They could even get cheaper. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Most everyone I've chatted to about has made it very clear they are reevaluating, and the option to pay forward a few accounts all in one go is a huge bill that no one has the cash just sitting around for.

Paying ahead doesn't work when you're living paycheck to paycheck.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Most everyone I've chatted to about has made it very clear they are reevaluating, and the option to pay forward a few accounts all in one go is a huge bill that no one has the cash just sitting around for.

Paying ahead doesn't work when you're living paycheck to paycheck.

Two important things to note:

1. Only a sith deals in absolutes.
  2. Second Life is a luxury. If living paycheck-to-paycheck is your reality, paying for Premium on SL should not even be a consideration.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

One of my alts is Premium to donate the 1024 tier to the land group.  It is still cheaper to keep that alt Premium rather than having Lil bump up the tier and pay $7 per month - though if $$ are tight, then I would have to consider reducing land size overall.

What I'm really wondering about (and will likely not get an answer for) is whether I'm going to be sorry if I renew my land alts for a year. What if the super seekrit new premium level turns out to be an increased land allowance, so that I no longer need those alts (but have already paid for them)? 

It's kind of hard to know what to do without all the information, so I feel a bit like I'm in Vegas rolling dice at the moment!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.