SL performance on MacBook pro

BartPitcher

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 hours ago, animats said:

Thing is: we know strictly nothing about Apple's future custom GPUs (since they plan to do away with NVIDIA and AMD and to use their home-made silicon chips)... Open Source is far from being the characteristic of Apple's ecosystem, and nothing can give us a single clue wether their future GPU will have an open (as in at the very least *documented*) API or will need reverse-engineering to add Open Source Vulkan compatibility layers...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I've been using macs since 2008. My computing experience has been greatly improved ever since.

The reality, they're expensive and suck for gaming.

Unless you can afford to max out the GPU hardware on your mac at purchase time, I wouldn't make an attempt to run demanding games on one. Computer shops, random people on the internet and friends will tell you that SL is not a GPU intesive "game" (they'll search for SL on CanIRunIt). Even if you max out your GPU, you'll be better off with a mid-level gaming PC setup.

I ended up spending $1000.00 CAD in 2019 on a custom "gamer-ish" PC build at a local Computer store, (we essentially loaded the parts into the tower together as I purchased them). If I remember correctly it had an AMD Radeon RX 570, intel i3-9100 and ran SL beautifully. I (think) was getting 40-60fps navigating large sims, it would dip in busier places, but even the most traffic heavy locations would never drop frames and basically die the way my macbook pros or imacs would even on empty sims.

User experience is subjective, but if I was to subject anyone to my opinion.... for anything outside of gaming, macOS is a quality and luxurious experience over Windows. That's anything from video production, software development, audio engineering to watching Youtube or emailing Grandma. After using a mac, Windows literally feels like punishment. It's funny you'll always hear people mentioning some Windows extension or third-party software to make something behave "mac-like"

If you're in the market and buying a machine specifically to run SL, get a PC. The comparison isn't even close

Edited by PhantomSuiyobi

3 hours ago, PhantomSuiyobi said:

I've been using macs since 2008. My computing experience has been greatly improved ever since.

The reality, they're expensive and suck for gaming.

Unless you can afford to max out the GPU hardware on your mac at purchase time, I wouldn't make an attempt to run demanding games on one. Computer shops, random people on the internet and friends will tell you that SL is not a GPU intesive "game" (they'll search for SL on CanIRunIt). Even if you max out your GPU, you'll be better off with a mid-level gaming PC setup.

I ended up spending $1000.00 CAD in 2019 on a custom "gamer-ish" PC build at a local Computer store, (we essentially loaded the parts into the tower together as I purchased them). If I remember correctly it had an AMD Radeon RX 570, intel i3-9100 and ran SL beautifully. I (think) was getting 40-60fps navigating large sims, it would dip in busier places, but even the most traffic heavy locations would never drop frames and basically die the way my macbook pros or imacs would even on empty sims.

User experience is subjective, but if I was to subject anyone to my opinion.... for anything outside of gaming, macOS is a quality and luxurious experience over Windows. That's anything from video production, software development, audio engineering to watching Youtube or emailing Grandma. After using a mac, Windows literally feels like punishment. It's funny you'll always hear people mentioning some Windows extension or third-party software to make something behave "mac-like"

If you're in the market and buying a machine specifically to run SL, get a PC. The comparison isn't even close

Yes, I gave pretty much up on the Mac for gaming. Not long ago I got a Dell G7 (7590) with an NVDIA RTX 2080 graphic card because I'm also a fan of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Now you talk about a nice gaming experience... Though this new laptop was in the same price range as MacBook Pro... But SL on this runs flawlessly. Sadly, Apple's decision about OpenGL made those computers useless on games... No one cares much about Metal engine. We will see what will happen in the next few years with their new "Silicon" chips...

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.