Resize a DAE for another size avatar

Leigh Avelino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I accidently bought an item which was the source files instead of the full perm set.  So I need to learn how to rig, weight and get the items into Secondlife.  I'm ok with taking the time to learn the process to do so.  I have 2 questions please: (1) How hard is it to resize something to another avatars size?  And also: (2) just curious but why don't creators give all the avatar sizes in source files since they already are including 2 others. 

6 hours ago, Leigh Avelino said:

How hard is it to resize something to another avatars size?

As long as the rigging is right, the mesh will be automatically resized to fit the avatar that wears it regardless of what size it was uploaded at. That's exactly what fitted mesh is all about.

9 hours ago, Leigh Avelino said:

I accidently bought an item which was the source files instead of the full perm set.  So I need to learn how to rig, weight and get the items into Secondlife.  I'm ok with taking the time to learn the process to do so.  I have 2 questions please: (1) How hard is it to resize something to another avatars size?  And also: (2) just curious but why don't creators give all the avatar sizes in source files since they already are including 2 others. 

By different sized avatars, do you mean system or different mesh bodies?

10 hours ago, Leigh Avelino said:

So I need to learn how to rig, weight and get the items into Secondlife.  

Just want you to know that this is a HUGE project. If you are not already familiar with 3D modeling software you may just want to count your mistake AS a mistake.  

Here is a reference starting place should you decide to give it a try.  http://ainetutorials.blogspot.com/2015/11/tutorial-principles-of-blender-rigging_10.html

You will likely only be able to make the sizes for the legacy avatars as creators will most likely not honor any request to have the body files for the various bodies (Maitreya, Belleza etc). 

Good luck. 

There are a couple of bodies that offer free dev. Kits notably Tonic and Ebody. While they won’t be able to make things for the big three, they will be able to learn all of the basic principles of creating mesh clothing in a relevant way.

That is if they’re talking about mesh bodies at all. From the op’s wording, they could be talking about mesh clothing for the system avatar which would require a different answer.

my inexperience is showing. I should have given more information. 

It is mesh Id be working with.  The source DAE and FBX files are for Maitreya and Slink.  Id like to resize to my Belleza body.  can it be done?  not now as I have only just begun my Blender to SL tour.  but is it feasible to keep it and someday be able to do it?  I love the outfit and would like to wear it eventually.

the part 2 is a curiousity.  why would a full perm mesh creator give 2 body shapes but exclude a Belleza.  Is Belleza hard to work with in Blender or something?

I imported my XML body file into Blender today and made an avastar avi so I have a Belleza body to try and work with.

Edited by Leigh Avelino

48 minutes ago, Leigh Avelino said:

why would a full perm mesh creator give 2 body shapes but exclude a Belleza.

There could be a lot of different answers for that question. Maybe personal preference or perhaps that full-perm creator doesn't have the DEV kit for rigging for Belleza, or maybe they don't own Belleza bodies for QA testing, or maybe they just choose to rig for 2 bodies. 

On one hand, there seems to be ever-multiplying mesh bodies available, and on the other hand, many creators seem to be cutting back on the number of mesh bodies that they create for.

1 hour ago, Leigh Avelino said:

Id like to resize to my Belleza body.  can it be done? 

You would need to apply for the Belleza Dev Kit so that you have the body shape and body wieghts to work from. 

I imported my XML body file into Blender today and made an avastar avi

the XML shape is just a set of shape sliders, it is not the shape of the body mesh as that is a modelled piece of mesh, nor will it have the weights required to rig for that body. you can only get that by applying for the developer kit which you can find the application for on the Belleza website.

Do heed the warnings above, application does guarantee you will be issued a kit, and it is a learning curve if you have never done this kind of thing before. You could apply for the kit and take the waiting time to become accustomed to blender, avastar and the tools and nothing to stop you using the standard avatar to practise with

• Like 1

I've been going thru tutotials on blenders site to get acquainted with the tools.  That means lots and lots of 3d coffee cups and donuts lol.  My background is more illustrator and Photoshop.  I understand this is a huge undertaking and will require months and months of training to even begin to import anything back to SL.  But I find it fun and interesting to learn hard applications.  I will work with the developers who will let me have their dev kits.  Thank you all for your information.  

Don’t let your lack of knowledge discourage you. Knowing photoshop is a big part of the puzzle. It will be a lot of tears, but a lot of aha moments that are very rewarding.

Stick with it, don’t forget you can access the beta grid to upload. You probably should attempt to upload your objects from time to time because there’s a different.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.