Group Shuffling reaches new level

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you are one of those faced with losing 7 group slots, how are you going to go about selecting which ones? 

Will it be a group with a fee who gives little or nothing in return? 

Will it be a group where notice delivery is unreliable, so what's the point anyway? 

Will it be a group you've held onto for sentimental reasons or because it's cool or has fun group tags? 

Will it be a Second Life related group because do any Lindens ever communicate via those groups anymore? 

Will it be a support group which is useful to have because you learn so much even from lurking? 

On my most active accounts (some are basic, some are premium), I'm almost maxed out on groups. I try to keep one spot open for when I need to do a quick test or something, but I'm often "shuffling" groups. It varies from account to account of course, but here's how one stands now:

Firestorm related 7
Second Life related 3
Personal 3
Shops/products/support - no cost 9
Shops/products/support - cost 19
                                                             Total 41

For the longest time, many groups have been easy come, easy go. A few are aware that using one of your group slots really does have "value". With the pending availability of only 35 groups for basic members, the "value" of a group is changing again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Willow. I'm curious as to the reason you need to be in the 7 FS groups?  I'm thinking I remember you but I'm not remembering what your role is so I'm wondering because for most of the team it wasn't necessary to be in all of the FS groups. 

Yes, I'm a little confused. No, the migraine hasn't gone away fully. Refresh my memory, please?

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Refresh my memory, please?

Hi Selene. Refresh won't work very well as my roles have evolved considerably in the five years you've been off the team. Even so, 7 Firestorm groups is far less than some team members have, and I don't think relevant to my question(s)? A couple of Firestorm groups did fall victim to shuffling on previous occasions. Regardless of the nature of the groups, I'm just curious about choices people will be making. Of course I don't have to remove any groups just yet. Until I need to join another one for whatever reason. 

8 minutes ago, Willow Wilder said:

Hi Selene. Refresh won't work very well as my roles have evolved considerably in the five years you've been off the team. Even so, 7 Firestorm groups is far less than some team members have, and I don't think relevant to my question(s)? A couple of Firestorm groups did fall victim to shuffling on previous occasions. Regardless of the nature of the groups, I'm just curious about choices people will be making. Of course I don't have to remove any groups just yet. Until I need to join another one for whatever reason. 

Makes sense. Thanks. And sorry. I probably should have just IMed you but I thought it might help if someone responded with something.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the reduction in groups. To the best of my knowledge (at the moment) the only option I have would be to use my alts and even that is going to be a very difficult call. Frankly, it's all going to hinge on whether or not I have a snowball's chance in hell of reviving my little shop so that I can continue contributing to the good of the whole of SL and be able to afford to be in SL. For now, the chances of that happening aren't looking very good. I even had to "borrow" some of the other half's hard earned Ls just to pay my rent on my skybox for one more month in the hope that things will change for the better for  me.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

6 hours ago, Willow Wilder said:

If you are one of those faced with losing 7 group slots, how are you going to go about selecting which ones? 

Or, you can just keep them. You will not lose any of the groups you already have unless you choose to leave them. It was specifically said that you cannot join *new* groups until you are under the new cap.

34 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Or, you can just keep them. You will not lose any of the groups you already have unless you choose to leave them. It was specifically said that you cannot join *new* groups until you are under the new cap.

Correct, and already mentioned. It has worked this way for premium members who return to basic what? the past 4 years or so.

Your suggestion to "just keep them" is simplistic. Again, as already mentioned, I frequently have to join a group to test something. Even without the need as part of my job, I may just want to take advantage of a bargain, or an incentive, or I may need product support for something. I may want information shared and communicated. The reasons will vary from person to person. 

I'm just planning ahead. I'm also mulling around options in my head for accounts which currently have 60 group slots, but will end up at basic with 35 slots. The challenge of 25 group slots on those accounts will be even more "fun" than the mere 7 group slots on this account. 

• Like 4

I have a premium account, but I suspect some RP communities that use multiple groups will end up moving to services like Discord with only one main group inworld. A lot of creators are going to see people leaving their product groups, especially ones that get very low traffic. IM bots are better in this scenario in any case. People are going to expect more 'value' in the groups they do keep. A possible alternative is setting up an alt to just hold groups that you don't need to keep track of on a daily basis such as the aforementioned product groups. I suspect a lot will do this which will completely defeat the stated reason for lowering the limit.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.