"Starter" Homes, more like Retirement Homes, amIright?

Kat Shadow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

49 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Also, the presence of the many 60s, 70s, and 80s themed clubs on SL can serve as a sign of the presence of these age groups. No way that you can make me believe that these clubs are run and frequented by mostly 20-year-olds 🙂

Definitely. I am nearer to 50 than to 40 and nearly everyone I know in SL (where I know their RL age at all) is older than me.  We are an ageing demographic and I think that's what will kill Second Life in the end. Not economy, not changes to premium fees or benefits. Just an ageing out and passing away of the population.

That said, I don't see Bellisseria as my "retirement home". I'm not comfortable on a parcel as small as 1024m and I think that in due course I'll be abandoning my Bellisseria home and purchasing a 2048 parcel with my alt on regular mainland.  For me, it's more of a "year out" kind of thing - a chance to enjoy the community for now. But even when I do move elsewhere I still think I'll visit regularly.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

Free golf carts for everyone!  😂

Beat you to it!

(Took old full perm and retextured).  The steering wheel is covered with a towel- don't want an ouchie on hot days, the sidewalls on the tires are shot from lousy parking , the wheels are all scuffed up, but I live in Bellisseria  and the country club has these cute umbrella drinks - so who cares!

Note the newly minted Bellisseria Crest-- the house boat, Linden-ish hand ( no infringement implied), a castle with an oddly Winchester-y deck and a tribute to the Bellisseria cat.

cart 2_001.jpg

cart 1_001.jpg

crest on cart _001.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 9

25 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

We are an ageing demographic and I think that's what will kill Second Life in the end. Not economy, not changes to premium fees or benefits. Just an ageing out and passing away of the population.

We know what demo sticks in here, why don't they  market to the Auto clubs, alumni magazines  AARP clients etc -- more will stay then hitting a bunch of 20 year old gamers who sniff, sample, swipe and move on--just not sexy for Lab staffers I guess. But money is green and agile  , not gray ;p.

The average US citizen of 2060 is likely to be older than the average citizen of today, and almost one in four people will be 65 or older.(Source: http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/united-states-population/).

Go gray to go gold Linden !

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Mari Moonbeam said:

Go gray to go gold Linden !

This- we are a greying population and as that becomes ever more true, think abut this, LL:  empty nesters have more time and usually a somewhat more stable (if budgeted) income and they are in need of keeping social connections and skills alive.  Sure, go for broad demographic appeal, but pay a special attention on those most likely to loyally invest in your product because they get the most out of it.

Also: I love that standard on the golf cart. Esp.  Community First. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Edited by Kitten Kaos
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Just an idea off the cuff, how about an "old farts party" on Bellisseria where everyone is supposed to come as an old person with walkers, canes, scooters, and of course, grey/white hair, etc. Poking fun at our age 🙂

You know we'd only do that because, in SL, we can find that hella amusing & then... wake up the next day as 30 year old hawties, right? 😛 😛 😛

Edited by Kitten Kaos
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

& another things about SL socializing is that as AVs we see each other as idealizations or projections of an inner vision. Young, old, all genders, all cultural backgrounds... come together without making snap pre judgements (other than those we form about someone else's aesthetics 😛).

Gives us a chance to experience differing viewpoints that we might otherwise be prone to discount.

& I think that is part of staying mentally young.

(Dropping this here  too   https://www.thecut.com/2016/03/why-its-so-important-to-have-social-goals-late-in-life.html)

• Like 7

I just really want to thank everyone for such s lovely thread that made me laugh which I really needed today! I apologize for being off topic, but just thank you for the wonderful topic. I really do agree that living in my little family home is like a breathe of fresh air. At 41, I really just want to login to enjoy my family and friends in a peaceful and beautiful setting.

Of course in spirit of the topic... You young whipper snapper's better stay off my lawn! 😂

Edited by LyricalBookworm
To apologize for the strange difference in text size. I don't know how I did that. 😳
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/30/2019 at 5:22 PM, Kitten Kaos said:

That is perfectly said, Raspberry. Prosocial values means so much more to most of us than: a bunch of cool stuff I bought or built that only I ever use or look at.  Meh.

This is an aspect of Bellisseria I still need to get used to. I've been living on my private island for so long, I almost lost a sense of community. I've made beautiful places there (ahem), but Bellisseria made me realize, What is the point, when no one can see what you made?! Community, to me, is something I equated with crass, rude folks on mainland, that put up huge neon-signs, and generally don't give a crap about others. I'm sure there are actually many friendly, considerate mainland dwellers, but after visiting there so many times, mainland became, to me, like the armpit of SL. 

Bellisseria is soooo different. For one, ppl are really trying: they're digging deep, to pull the best out of themselves, build-wise, but also socially. It feels like everyone is keen on making it work.

As for 'retirment homes', dunno about that. I mean, I love the sentiment behind it, but I think LL would get in big trouble if ppl (like me) started to abandon our private islands, and did, in fact, retire to Bellisseria. 😋 As valiant efforts go, Bellisseria is, by far, the best they've ever made, though. Period.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

but I think LL would get in big trouble if ppl (like me) started to abandon our private islands, and did, in fact, retire to Bellisseria.

Don't worry your kids will let you know when it's time --"You've asked three times when does Coll88 start-- on the 8th the EIGHTH" ;   "You wore the wrong head with that body two days in a row" ;"You said you were teleporting home and I found you wandering in Bay City".....

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

8 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Definitely. I am nearer to 50 than to 40 and nearly everyone I know in SL (where I know their RL age at all) is older than me.  We are an ageing demographic and I think that's what will kill Second Life in the end. Not economy, not changes to premium fees or benefits. Just an ageing out and passing away of the population.

Sounds a bit grim lol. I'm no spring chicken either (well, in my mind I am...that's all that matters lol). However, let's say the average age of all the 'oldies' to pop their socks will be about 80 going forward (no I don't know the real stats) and the average age is 65, then that demographic could still be playing SL for a good 15 years. Let's hope that in that time tech will have jumped quite a bit and SL have employed some new great features or platform that does entice more new people. I'm sure someone will provide some more accurate kind of stats to shoot that hope down...:)

I think real  problem is not so much that, but the advertising of SL. There is so much that can be done in this virtual world, so many applications that people don't realise (e.g.simulation applications for real world services such as nursing, mental health - I've read about and seen those projects in the past, courses to learn stuff, and so on), apart from sex and shopping, but where do you ever hear about that? I don't know anyone outside of immediate family currently that has heard of SL.

Sorry...got a bit off topic....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mari Moonbeam said:

Don't worry your kids will let you know when it's time --"You've asked three times when does Coll88 start-- on the 8th the EIGHTH" ;   "You wore the wrong head with that body two days in a row" ;"You said you were teleporting home and I found you wandering in Bay City".....

this is my future, I know it

• Haha 6

On 5/30/2019 at 3:41 PM, Kitten Kaos said:

oldbees (like me) after years are rediscovering what is good about SL, prompted by a newfound sense of community.

How much goes on during the UK day? (Let's say roughly 2 am - 6 am SLT).

Your description appeals to me and I've been toying with the idea of making an alt premium to try Belliseria out. Given the price changes I can't really do just a month, it will be a year or nothing now. The time zone thing has always complicated joining in with other communities and I already have enough frustration with things I'd like to do happening when I'm sound asleep.

Also, what sorts of interests are there? I feel out of place amidst the popularity of shopping and focusing on the avatar's appearance.

Edited by Bitsy Buccaneer
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

How much goes on during the UK day? (Let's say roughly 2 am - 6 am SLT).

Your description appeals to me and I've been toying with the idea of making an alt premium to try Belliseria out. Given the price changes I can't really do just a month, it will be a year or nothing now. The time zone thing has always complicated joining in with other communities and I already have enough frustration with things I'd like to do happening when I'm sound asleep.

Also, what sorts of interests are there? I feel out of place amidst the popularity of shopping and focusing on the avatar's appearance.

While i am in the US and can't really respond about the time frame you asked about, I can describe some of the other points you asked about. There are 2 large groups: Bellisseria Citizens and Bellisseria Community. Both are pretty active chat wise any time  I log in. There are people from around the world in both groups. 

For activities, for example, like house warming parties, beach parties (the Sunday ones are Dj'd by someone in the UK) we get together and explore using various modes of transportation from bikes to boats to roller skates to horses (there is also a Bellisseria Riding Community group). People are getting together and fishing, or meeting at a cafe or pub (a house the owner turned into one for RP purposes only, no money involved). Some get together on the beach for morning coffee.

The most discussed shopping topics are things for the home and boat, water sports, and when those types of items happen to pop up at events. Last night there was a discussion going on about avatar appearance but not what you first think lol it was how to age ourselves because of the retirement community thread ;)

You don't have to have a home to be part of the community. We have quite a few that are waiting for a new batch, or playing Refresh Roulette in hopes of getting one that was abandoned. So if you want to join in the groups, or explore around and get a feel for what is happening in Bellisseria, go for it! (We also have a newspaper, and an events page that have started up)

As to the alt, I understand the all or nothing annual over trying for a month. If you do upgrade the alt and decide later you don't like Bellisseria, at least you're getting a good chunk of your payment back in stipends. Can just sit on the alt and let them accrue their money. Or have them use their free 1024 for mainland.

Edited by Zoya McDonnagh
Words are hard on a phone and barely any coffee.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2019 at 6:31 AM, Fritigern Gothly said:

Actually, I feel that it already is.
SL in particular seems to be the place where people who passed 40 can look and feel they were still 21, without the burden of (most of) their RL physical limitations which inevitably start to kick in around 40/50. I, myself, am 49 and I am nowhere near the oldest in my circle of friends (I'm not the youngest either).

I have started to notice that when people reveal their RL age, it is more and more often an age over 60, and that's not even the oldest I have come across. Recently an 89-year-old resident (I didn't know her) passed away, and I was struck with how people described her as being passionate about SL.

So yeah, I know that there are many middle-aged and elderly people on SL, I just don't know how many. It could be interesting to find out.

^ This. And I'm part of the over 40's crowd. Though as tempted as I am to find that walker @Blush Bravin posted - and I am - I'm not ready to retire in either life yet!

In saying that, I do love my Bellisseria home. Of course I wish for a better locale. I want what I don't have, just as people who don't have a home want one; it's the human condition to want, even if you don't need it. But with all the pretty pictures posted on the forums I understand why people are so keen to jump aboard. Hopefully they will be able to soon.

Like so many others who've posted before me, I've built towns and cities over the years. I've bought and sold land. I've decorated more rentals than I'll ever dare admit. Now I feel I can just relax again and just appreciate the simple pleasures of being here. And it's nice to be able to do that. There's so much to see and do in SL that sometimes I forget to just stop and smell the proverbial (probably mesh, definitely low land impact, good LOD) roses.

My best friend doesn't have a house yet, but is open to the idea of getting one when the demand isn't so chaotic. She loves my place and says it's the best set-up she's seen me do, so even if I wanted to move she won't "let" me. I'm not sure if that makes me a retiree or a hostage, but either way, I'm not going anywhere any time soon!

But on a side note every time I hear retirement homes, I think of HBO's The Soprano's… and we all know how THAT turned out. 🤣

livia soprano.gif

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

Like so many others who've posted before me, I've built towns and cities over the years. I've bought and sold land. I've decorated more rentals than I'll ever dare admit. Now I feel I can just relax again and just appreciate the simple pleasures of being here. And it's nice to be able to do that. There's so much to see and do in SL that sometimes I forget to just stop and smell the proverbial (probably mesh, definitely low land impact, good LOD) roses.

When I look back on my 13 years of Second Living, I would say that land, the owning and renting of, has been the main theme for me. Whenever I’ve owned land, I’ve always disposed of it at a loss (apart from the sale of one parcel I acquired last week, and decided to let go in light of the premium rate increase in order to shed one of my premium accounts, and actually sold it for what I paid).

The beauty of the Bellisseria build really HAS clipped my wings. I still own some mainland from a second premium account, but I very rarely go there now. I let the last of my rentals go too, as again, I now no longer need them. I greatly enjoy travelling around the new continent, and just looking in the garden of my house you’ll see my various modes of transport: an electric car (Eco man!!); an inflatable boat which will detach from its trailer and let me slide into the river); a Quad-Pro for flight; a bicycle; and a horse. When I’m not travelling I’m more than happy to sit in my Continental house. The whole environment here is exactly what I’ve been looking for over the years, and am so relieved to find what I believe to be my ‘keeper’ of a home.

So, yes. I too now consider myself to be living in retirement. Who knows, I may even start ‘talking’ to people in world! Please do wave as you see the old guy with his toys, puttering around... ;)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

^

Most of us will always love exploration, building, scripting and decorating,  but Bellisseria has made us pause to be more social & just chill and we realize that is actually very good for our creativity and mood! Sharing with kindred spirits is making what's good in SL that much better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walpurgisnacht said:

The beauty of the Bellisseria build really HAS clipped my wings. I still own some mainland from a second premium account, but I very rarely go there now. I let the last of my rentals go too, as again, I now no longer need them. I greatly enjoy travelling around the new continent, and just looking in the garden of my house you’ll see my various modes of transport: an electric car (Eco man!!); an inflatable boat which will detach from its trailer and let me slide into the river); a Quad-Pro for flight; a bicycle; and a horse. When I’m not travelling I’m more than happy to sit in my Continental house. The whole environment here is exactly what I’ve been looking for over the years, and am so relieved to find what I believe to be my ‘keeper’ of a home.

So, yes. I too now consider myself to be living in retirement. Who knows, I may even start ‘talking’ to people in world! Please do wave as you see the old guy with his toys, puttering around... ;)

Happy to wave  & chat, if you have the inclination- we are getting to be a neighborly bunch. And I too am happy to have "less stuff to maintain" and more friendships to maintain in SL again.  I've been heads down a few days: tearing down & putting the last of my mainland  up for sale (heh  anyone wants a waterplot in Heterocera with a long protected waterway , I'd probably let it go cheap for a fellow Bellisserian) & then having some epic arguments with my furniture rezzer system. But, even with all that I found time to go to Baphy's DJ set & hang out exploring the hedge maze with Guilio, Doc, BJoyful & a handful of other wonderful people because The Big Fun I'm having is about our shared experiences.

Hopefully this retirement experience is more like San Junipero than the Sopranos  😛  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Are we allowed to have yard sales / garage sales in new SSP regions?

This was brought up in one of the Bellisseria chats a few days ago, and Patch said 'No' at the moment... and hinted that something was coming at some point along these lines.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.