A brief note on pricing changes, which ran long.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, LeeeBlack said:

Open sims grid

Nope. I don't know where the former Vector Linden Is now. I'm pretty sure he didn't go back to work for Active Worlds as he did leave AW to work for LL. I lost track of him a few months after he left SL. :(

If we stop considering LL to be a mighty corporation and start considering it as a SME ( Small to medium enterprise ) working their butts off to try and keep the boat afloat it becomes considerably easier to forgive them the errors of their ways :D ... Getting a housboat may have helped my disposition considerably as well :D

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fyrebird Courier said:

However, they (theoretically) are getting at least a minimum wage.  

What? They're small business owners. Quite a few take home nothing, especially if they have an employee to pay. There's no minimum wage for a small business owner... at least, not in the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many of us still love you LL !!!

Anyways, who wants a miserable customer? As a former business owner (not in SL), it felt so good to get rid of clients/customers who made my life a living hell because they were never happy. Every thing that I did was not good enough, after so many times of that, it is just not worth it. I opened the door and told them to leave. Toxicity is not worth a few bucks in my pocket after taxes, fees, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ClariceRose said:

Do you flip out like this when grocery prices get raised, your cell phone bill, your rent? Calm down.

You must be a premium member! Its all fun and games till they start charging you like $15 for membership. I don't need to calm down hun and that's rl. I'm  speaking up because I spent a lot of money for my secondlife.  Anyways "THANKS" for replying...  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phoebe Avro said:

Here is an idea why don't LL create a poll and ask premium members if they want / need more groups to the detriment of basic accounts?

I could almost guarantee (almost) the outcome would be in favor of what is already in the works. Frankly, enough of the premiums really don't care about others' needs or wants as long as they get what they want.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Just now, mzjazzymaii said:

You must be a premium member! Its all fun and games till they start charging you like $15 for membership. I don't need to calm down hun and that's rl. I'm  speaking up because I spent a lot of money for my secondlife.  Anyways "THANKS" for replying...  

I've spent a ton of money in SL too! That does not mean we should go berzerk over this.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fyrebird Courier said:

average small business makes 1-3%.  I understand that.  However, they (theoretically) are getting at least a minimum wage.  Even though once created, the objects made for sale in SL are "free", I do not know a lot of creators that are really getting a "minimum" wage from it.  Cost of objects have gone down seriously in 10 years, forcing creators to have to rely on tactics such as 50L sales, to keep $$ coming in.  And i constantly hear about how even at THAT rate, creators are ripping people off.

ok you make the link to minimum wage.... what happens in rl when a store doesn't give enough to get that? they close or change strategy  .. but not here... they start biting their landlord/buildingowner/ or whatever you want to call LL when they want their part. A rl owner would kick your store out of the building faster than you could pack your boxes.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

What? They're small business owners. Quite a few take home nothing, especially if they have an employee to pay. There's no minimum wage for a small business owner... at least, not in the US.

nowhere i think... your shop,... your responsibility
only when you pay a huge insurace rate you'd be partly out of the storm when it goes wrong, but not for usual business risks

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Yorkie Bardeen said:

My rezday was three days ago. I received no cake. :(

not sure they still randomly do it, if so, there are of course a lot more residents, so if they do it's less chance to get one.
But never know what happens.. some time ago a friend of me, got send a lovely  Linden Bear, out of the blue sky

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Cam Mode said:

Linden sent cakes , friend got one with the wrong name on it. After a re-rez it was fixed.

In the 15 years I've been in SL I have never gotten one on any of my accounts, including when I was premium. Not a single one.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Fox Wijaya said:

not sure they still randomly do it, if so, there are of course a lot more residents, so if they do it's less chance to get one.
But never know what happens.. some time ago a friend of me, got send a lovely  Linden Bear, out of the blue sky

In thirteen years on several accounts I have never received either cake or bears!

Talk about Feted Inner Cake. 🎂😬

• Haha 6

35 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I remember getting a cake from LL on both my main and an alt. And here is Daniel Voyager's blog post about the one he received for his 6th rezday.

Ok So LL was playing favorites with the cakes back then. Not surprising. And as I said in my post above, I've never gotten one in 15 years. Not even when I was premium.

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Ok So LL was playing favorites with the cakes back then. Not surprising. And as I said in my post above, I've never gotten one in 15 years. Not even when I was premium.

I got one years ago, I have never been premium in all my time. but i often don't get emails from LL on my main my alt does and my main is setup to get emails etc.

I get MP emails just not all announcements from LL.

Edited by Phoebe Avro

1 hour ago, Grumpity Linden said:

We have approximately 90,000 basic members with 36 or more groups.  We have approximately 10,000 premium subscribers with 55 or more groups.  This is not a 1:1 change.  Does that help with the confusion?  

I understand there are more premium people w/ more groups, but us as basics we're also in need of the groups. You say you have issues w/ the groups, but this change doesn't makes sense for me and other people. You're basically taking our groups away after years after giving us more groups from 25, and now you take them away for what? Does this really fixes your issues with the groups? Or this is your marketing strategy? Because it doesn't make sense. Us basics we never asked for anything, we're not receiving anything like the premiums, which is fine and I'm totally okay with it, because if people pay for something they should get the best of it, but at least let us keep our groups. That's all we're asking. We've got the fee, we've got the premium prices increase which is totally fair after years and years of having the same price, but this group thing doesn't make sense, and will definitely NOT fix your issue w/ the groups. So this thing maybe should be re-thinked. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, FreyasFashions said:

Nothing to do with discrimination. Premium members pay upfront, simple economics - pre-paid income - they have better 'options'.

And yes, my thought would encourage more inworld stores and give an added bonus to being Premium.

People complain mainland is 'empty' - pushing merchants to having an inworld store (if on free accounts) would aid that. Plus more folk going Premium to actively sell on MP would also mean they have their 1024sqm to use as they see fit - home or store.

I've never claimed it was a popular opinion (with free account holders especially) but as the benefits previously mentioned (cutting down on the multitude of copybotters etc that LL apparently struggle with) combined with "encouragement" to use land inworld it's worth suggesting.

I think you missed my point. I am aware of how difficult it can be to see things through another's eyes.

It may encourage them but that does not mean they will actually do it. There will always be those who will not. 

As long as there are private estates as an alternative to mainland, mainland is going to suffer. LL knows this. One of the things that would help that situation is to "clean up" mainland by doing a bit of "landscaping" like they did back in the day to make it more attractive and visually appealing. Something a bit similar to what they've done with the new Linden homes but without the houses and fenced lots.

Still, restricting the MP to premium only is discrimination. I recognize it for what it really is because I have to deal with it on a daily basis in real life. So yes, I stand by what I said.

As long as the viewer is open source it won't be possible to put an end to "gleefur coffeepotters" as we used to call them . All LL can do is try to alleviate some of it and continue abiding by the law of DMCA.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 4:28 AM, Grumpity Linden said:
  • We’re not lowering limits out of spite, groups really are quite a strain on our back end for a variety of painful historical reasons, including overloading group functionality instead of having other tools.  This subject alone is worth a novel liberally sprinkled with tears. So anyway, we don’t hate basic users, and in fact we work hard to retain our free-to-play offering as one of the most generous across many industries. But yes, no big surprise, we do want to nudge active residents to become subscribers, because we think it’s a great value, and - as many have noted - we’re also running a business. But no, we're not shutting our doors to non-premium residents. Rumors of our insanity and villainy have been slightly exaggerated.  

Then, what's the plan with people with that current amount of groups, paid groups?? What will happen to people who already have 42 groups and only a couple of free groups to join and rejoin??? If Lowering the groups is IMMENSELY necessary then what's the alternative?  Taking away from the advantage of 42 groups hurts and doesn't help. SL is supposed to be platform that encourages creativity and  social interactions between people. Groups, are a HUGE part of what SL is. You can think of groups as the FB/Insta of SL. It united people with the same wants. 

In my opinion, the people who sit at the table to decide about these things doesn't know crap about how SL actually works. Do they even log into it daily? participate? have basic accounts? have premium accounts? Sitting at a table to decide what thousands of people do consistently every single day without actually experiencing SL is not the right way to make choices. I would dare to say, and please anyone agree or disagree, that ANYONE who has been in SL for many years and actively use it would NOT agree on taking away groups. I would also say that you are taking groups from thousands of basic members to then increase the numbers for premium members, so, in reality you are not getting rid of certain amount of groups for XY reasons, you are shifting groups around from basic users to premium ones. I, to be honest, don't need that many as a premium.

Also, I would agree with the LL homes but is just big space in massive emptyish land that is full of lag. I could have one and I don't even bother.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.