A brief note on pricing changes, which ran long.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Linden employee's have stated there are other fee's legal stuff they must pay to stay in compliance so there are fee's there too for them they have to pay.  I know, I know, I'm trying to always be the voice of reason and trying to help others understand that sometimes, Companies such as LL have to bite these hard bullets and push some of the fee's onto us the consumers, it's an evil I wish did not exist, but no company that deals in the volumes LL does, would be able to survive because of the fee's.   Now there are more fee's than what I've been listing too. 

yes i know there are fees... however, i'm really doubtful they are this much. i'm going to inquire and find out from someone i know who works in this area. i'm really curious now as i just can't believe it's double  what it was. (2.5% more) and before that it went up from $25 max (per 10k usd) to $250. and that was a huge shock to so many people. and a huge cut in pay instantly (though they did give us like a 4 month notice unlike this one) which leaves NO room to adjust real life budgets. etc :(

8 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

They have stated the Groups are very hard on the backend, this is a issue that would require a full rebuild of the group functionality and they are not even sure that it can be fixed.  Groups were added I think in 2004ish, so looking at it with that much legacy coding, I'm not seeing an easy fix :/  so if they can figure out how to help their own systems then I'm all for it.

It is not easy to fix it but still, and yes those are just suggestions, to see if they can improve the group system rather than lowering groups for free users. Reprogramming it should not be easy but it's important to all free/non-premium residents, for not having their group membership lowered. Raise it 7 times for the free/non-premium, and do not do the inverse (lower down by 7). 

Edited by MLALRS7044

• Lindens
13 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

QUESTION: My two dates are in February and my alt is in September and I will certainly do this (even though I think the new pricing is fair, I'm not stupid LOL). IF I DO THIS and the new higher tier of Premium is announced and made available, will I be able to upgrade at-will or will I have to wait for my existing tier to come to renewals before I can upgrade to the new level?

I am fortunate that I am one of the "whales" and love that it helps SL be available for the "fish". (Yeah, I know those industry terms LOL)

You will be able to upgrade at will of course.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Callie Cline said:

yes i know there are fees... however, i'm really doubtful they are this much. i'm going to inquire and find out from someone i know who works in this area. i'm really curious now as i just can't believe it's double  what it was. (2.5% more) and before that it went up from $25 max (per 10k usd) to $250. and that was a huge shock to so many people. and a huge cut in pay instantly (though they did give us like a 4 month notice unlike this one) which leaves NO room to adjust real life budgets. etc :(

I own a webhosting/vpn/vps business and have since 1998,  our visa CREDIT card fee's just went through the roof, so we have stopped taking them as a form of payment,  we still accept paypal which just went up and we still take mastercards which just went up,  now I'm not talking bank cards, debit cards are fine,  it's the credit cards, the processors like paypal and our other merchant accounts is where the fee's are going a bit bonkers.   

Speaking of other fee's.   depending on how LL has things setup,  payroll, power, datacenter fee's,  up and down stream providers,  all kinds of fee's.   people are way goign LL IS FORCING THIS OR THAT, when reality is, this is a business decision to help them along and keep our SL running and going.  sorry people are so upset they are just all over the place.  

Yes I know LL I know, I'm trying to be the voice of reason , Even if I'm not correct on what fee's and such are what is happening, I am giving a gist, because of the rates the fee's have gone too from my end.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MLALRS7044 said:

It is not easy to fix it but still, and yes those are just suggestions, to see if they can improve the group system rather than lowering groups for free users.

I've been here 12 years as a free user, I have put my fair share of money into the system over the years,  cashed out a few times too,  I'm sitting at I think 36 groups, I can easily loose 5 of them right now and not fill those back up again for a long time, so this group issue is not an issue for me, I know it is for lots of others though,  maybe LL can do something?  up to them in the end.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I've been here 12 years as a free user, I have put my fair share of money into the system over the years,  cashed out a few times too,  I'm sitting at I think 36 groups, I can easily loose 5 of them right now and not fill those back up again for a long time, so this group issue is not an issue for me, I know it is for lots of others though,  maybe LL can do something?  up to them in the end.

You are Right. I completely agree with you.

5 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I own a webhosting/vpn/vps business and have since 1998,  our visa CREDIT card fee's just went through the roof, so we have stopped taking them as a form of payment,  we still accept paypal which just went up and we still take mastercards which just went up,  now I'm not talking bank cards, debit cards are fine,  it's the credit cards, the processors like paypal and our other merchant accounts is where the fee's are going a bit bonkers.   

Speaking of other fee's.   depending on how LL has things setup,  payroll, power, datacenter fee's,  up and down stream providers,  all kinds of fee's.   people are way goign LL IS FORCING THIS OR THAT, when reality is, this is a business decision to help them along and keep our SL running and going.  sorry people are so upset they are just all over the place.  

Yes I know LL I know, I'm trying to be the voice of reason , Even if I'm not correct on what fee's and such are what is happening, I am giving a gist, because of the rates the fee's have gone too from my end.

It's been years since I have used a card service but even so I can attest to how exorbitantly expensive those fees were then. I can imagine those fees have skyrocketed to the point of hurting business bad enough the service has to be dropped. Unfortunately, it's once again the customers that suffer the most since they no longer are able to use their normal form of payment and have to come up with another method. Which isn't always feasible or even possible. These days, I couldn't get a credit card if my life depended on it. I'm not joking either. I have zero credit. None. No credit cards. Just a debit card and a checking account with no fees.

I've been reading through this thread and the overall sense I get : entitlement. You all know that LL is a business first and foremost, but consider this : SL is NOT a necessity for you to exist in the world. If your biggest gripe is group slots and stipend amount or SL fees you live a pretty cushy life, even if you don't' believe so.  You either pay up or you move along, this is how life works-virtual or otherwise. No one is forced to make a living in SL or even use it, it's all a choice. You (we) are not entitled to anything. Your RL budget and financial limits are of no concern to anyone but you.

It does not matter if you are on a fixed income or you have a zillion dollars in the bank, things cost money. When you can't afford the things, you do without them until you can.  You really think whinging on this forum is going to change any of that? I don't care if you've been in SL since they opened the doors or 5 minutes, you pay or you move along. End of.

And yes this is a new account I made because I would rather not make myself a target by posting with my years old account, because people can be really extra like that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cool now I have to pay more for premium even though my IMs never get capped and I actually clean my groups out. I've yet to even get a new linden home.
Looks like I'll be paying out of pocket for other people's enjoyment.

On another note, region pricing is still ridiculous. When I saw there was a price drop I was expecting 50%+, not a few dollars. Linden Labs makes a huge profit margin just to give us slow updates with their spaghetti code. Still no name changes. Still no decade old features. I'm assuming all this money gets blown on sanfran rent and coke.

If you actually cared about your user base, move your headquarters somewhere that doesn't bleed your wallet dry just so you can step off the curb onto someone's fecal matter, and quit charging us artificially inflated prices for artificial content that's all just gonna disappear in a few years anyway.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

It's been years since I have used a card service but even so I can attest to how exorbitantly expensive those fees were then. I can imagine those fees have skyrocketed to the point of hurting business bad enough the service has to be dropped. Unfortunately, it's once again the customers that suffer the most since they no longer are able to use their normal form of payment and have to come up with another method. Which isn't always feasible or even possible. These days, I couldn't get a credit card if my life depended on it. I'm not joking either. I have zero credit. None. No credit cards. Just a debit card and a checking account with no fees.

I'm in the same boat, credit score 503, because of medical bills,  they reject each one I turn in even the secure ones that you pay depoists on lol,  yeah. I've burned that bridge.

there is not much we can do until something in the industry changes on the credit card peoples sides. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NonVoxSedVotum said:

I've been reading through this thread and the overall sense I get : entitlement. You all know that LL is a business first and foremost, but consider this : SL is NOT a necessity for you to exist in the world. If your biggest gripe is group slots and stipend amount or SL fees you live a pretty cushy life, even if you don't' believe so.  You either pay up or you move along, this is how life works-virtual or otherwise. No one is forced to make a living in SL or even use it, it's all a choice. You (we) are not entitled to anything. Your RL budget and financial limits are of no concern to anyone but you.

It does not matter if you are on a fixed income or you have a zillion dollars in the bank, things cost money. When you can't afford the things, you do without them until you can.  You really think whinging on this forum is going to change any of that? I don't care if you've been in SL since they opened the doors or 5 minutes, you pay or you move along. End of.

And yes this is a new account I made because I would rather not make myself a target by posting with my years old account, because people can be really extra like that.

ok boomer

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I'm in the same boat, credit score 503, because of medical bills,  they reject each one I turn in even the secure ones that you pay depoists on lol,  yeah. I've burned that bridge.

there is not much we can do until something in the industry changes on the credit card peoples sides. 

It's always the medical bills isn't it. All I can do is pray Medicaid will cover it. If not. Well. Bye.

BTW, it's interesting in light of the professed need to move away from land as a basis of company revenue, and move to currency and content -- hence more premium account fees and more cashout fees and less land fees -- that in Sansar, LL is doing the opposite -- removing transaction fees:

https://help.sansar.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028978371-The-Give-More-Get-More-Release-May-30-2019?utm_source=R33&utm_campaign=MC&tag_type=em

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Prokofy Neva said:

BTW, it's interesting in light of the professed need to move away from land as a basis of company revenue, and move to currency and content -- hence more premium account fees and more cashout fees and less land fees -- that in Sansar, LL is doing the opposite -- removing transaction fees:

https://help.sansar.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028978371-The-Give-More-Get-More-Release-May-30-2019?utm_source=R33&utm_campaign=MC&tag_type=em

oh cool that failed linden labs project that we have to pay extra fees to fund instead of fixing the game we actually play? fantastic!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Sansar dollar gifts no longer incur a transaction fee.

Sounds to me their own Currency does not get charged the fee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sweet Valentine said:

i absolutely agree anyone who has a business and makes money in SL should have to be premium

I have a Business and see no need for a prem account its a waste of money for land I will never use, 1200 Linden a month it's pointless to me when I upload 50k a month or more and I prefer the free membership because I don't get useless stuff that clog my inventory when I have my own sim

Edited by ILIKEPIEPIEPIEPIEPIEPIEPIEPIEPI

5 hours ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

Here is the killer part

You must have a premium account to sell on marketplace - lite or higher

This would decrease theft, overloading of gacha reselling that is illegal copies of content, stop fake full perms accounts selling empty boxes claiming to be well known products. It would also clean out old content with no active sellers. Giving a few months notice for people to get on board. No longer would creators have to watch people getting cash grabs off of their work unable to flag or dmca. It would mean they have to sign up with rl info like the rest of us.

A one time fee to set up a MP shopfront might address that.. but if premium was necessary it would kill small hobbyist shops. 😟

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Lindens
13 hours ago, Jo Yardley said:

Improve functionality of groups by for instance allowing us to chat/send messages only to people with certain titles.

Add more titles!

Hi Jo! You can do that today by creating Roles which cannot receive messages or participate in group chat. From the KB: https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/creating-managing-moderating-and-disbanding-groups-r48/#Section__5

To create a new group role:

1. Open the group profile.
  2. Click Roles to display the Roles section.
  3. Click the ROLES tab
  4. Click New Role.
  5. Enter:
    • Role Name for the new role.
    • Role Title for the role. If you have this role in your active group, the title appears inworld above your avatar name.
    • Description of the role.
  6. Select abilities for the new role under Allowed Abilities.

And then you can disable the ability to receive notices and/or participate in group chat. 

1. 1330833524_ScreenShot2019-05-30at9_15_44PM.png.99ceeb8e345a6365b0e2aca8411086cb.png
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, NonVoxSedVotum said:

You're just as entitled... js

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, NonVoxSedVotum said:

If you mean baby boomer, I am not one of those. I like to think of myself as mid-stride millennial. (34)

So they do exist... the mythical 30 year old boomer.....🤯
Please tell me more about how I'm entitled while I continue to get screwed. It really makes you look like you know what you're talking about! I swear! 😏

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NonVoxSedVotum said:

Freedom of speech isnt freedom of consequences.

Obviously people will judge you based on your position and views, its how as a society we weed out bad ideas.

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.