Reducing Group Allowances for basic members could seriously hurt your SL income

Lasher Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

yes Fox.  We can sometimes all have a valid point when we look at the same situation from our own perspective and/or personal experience. Even when sometimes two or more valid points can be seen as contradictory from a 3rd person's pov

5 minutes ago, drusilladarkwillow said:

Tags are mainly just for you. No one really pays attention to them and some people even have that option turned off within their viewer. I for one pay no attention to what tag someone has over their head.

yes that's true also. Some people turn off display names as well. Others turn off all tags including standard names and use mouseover if they ever do want to know the name of a person in their view who they don't recognise

Let say that 50% of the avatars are capped in group. That mean that groups, as a mean, will lose a bit more then 8% of their members. Is 8% dramatic ? Maybe not, but for a fair portion of those group specially small venues, that will translate in 8% less revenue. As a MEAN, this mean that individual venues will vary (And we could argue infinitely), but for SL as a whole this HAVE to happen and will principally hit small shops, DJ clubs etc... Venues which down the line pay rents to LL. Maybe not that many will close, maybe just 1-2% of those buisness will bankrupt from the lost of members, but for LL that's 1-2% of their main revenue that is lost. And all future businesses of clubs will struggle a little bit more.

And of course, then we need to factor the annoyance for all the users. Which is mild, I admit gladly.

I'm also a bit surprised that some people seem to believe that those groups cause the slightest amount of load on the servers. I want to remember everyone that a single 1024x1024 texture image could compare to the size of the bible in pure text. The load for a single avatar landing in a single sim with all the textures could probably fuel his 42 groups for the rest of his existence. The reduction of the groups have no influence on lag or cost for LL at all, it's just a plot to sell more premium.

6 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

yes that's true also. Some people turn off display names as well. Others turn off all tags including standard names and use mouseover if they ever do want to know the name of a person in their view who they don't recognise

Mhm. Im one of these people that have everything off. I dont like clutter on my screen. Having name tags off Im more likely to read their profile or ill check radar right click zoom in to perv at them. Of course crosshairs are off to lol 

• Like 2

Just now, ananoelle said:

Mhm. Im one of these people that have everything off. I dont like clutter on my screen. Having name tags off Im more likely to read their profile or ill check radar right click zoom in to perv at them. Of course crosshairs are off to lol 

tbh I do this as well in crowded venues. Drives me nuts when my whole screen is filled with text and I can't hardly see anything else. Even if I am one of the people overly-contributing to the visual text pollution :D 

• Haha 1

Now about the groups:

Without going into my own opinion about that change, there is however a simply solution to this. A solution I have been using myself for years now:
Just create yourself a 2nd avatar and name it "groupavie" or so. Then only keep the most important groups (for store gifts, yadayadaya) on your main account and outsource any other group to that alt avie. You will still get the groupnotes via email from that avie and can then login and check the note itself.

Would it be easier if we just had enough slots on our main avie? Sure. But LL decided we don't, so deal with it. We can't change it, unless you plan on flying to San Fran and storm their RL office. 😄

But at least this is a good, free alternative to circumvent the new group limit and even bring a bit more order to the chaos of your own groups. 😉 I am using this method for years now and I have nothing to complain, it works, it is free and I love it. I actually made myself a full "service avatar". Not only does he have most of my store groups and serves as 2nd person to my own groups (if they're small or new). He is also my bank account through a script and many RP related things, like my radio and pager networks are now outsourced on him, so I can use him as "HUB" for all of my active alts.

You should consider such measures before complaining too hard about something that sucks but is as it is and won't be changed. Stop wasting your time yelling about the change, Linden "TheSinkingShip" Lab doesn't care much anyway. So rather use the time and find ways around it, like I did long ago. 😉

• Like 1

Problem is everything we do in Second life is group based, from having a group for access to our  homes, events we want to attend  to our avatar parts / products we want to buy. Everything needs to loaded in to a group or clickable if you want the gift. This is why the limitations is a problem when everything is  based on group.  Group=economy.  

Edited by aAlliAa
spelling.
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Well, with the intention of keeping things in perspective, it's an excellent business decision for LL. They (and the grid as a whole) will benefit from the changes; less load on the back-end systems, fewer costs for LL in that regard.

And less people in the sims, less basic users, less money moving around, less merchants, less incomes for LL

It reminds me the football teams that when are loosing a match they go all in they own half of the field to "defend" the loosing score

59 minutes ago, MadMacit said:

And less people in the sims, less basic users, less money moving around, less merchants, less incomes for LL

It reminds me the football teams that when are loosing a match they go all in they own half of the field to "defend" the loosing score

Perhaps, though I doubt people en amsse will quit SL because they lose ten group slots and the new IM caps.

7 hours ago, Mikey Shu said:

Now about the groups:

Without going into my own opinion about that change, there is however a simply solution to this. A solution I have been using myself for years now:
Just create yourself a 2nd avatar and name it "groupavie" or so. Then only keep the most important groups (for store gifts, yadayadaya) on your main account and outsource any other group to that alt avie. You will still get the groupnotes via email from that avie and can then login and check the note itself.

Would it be easier if we just had enough slots on our main avie? Sure. But LL decided we don't, so deal with it. We can't change it, unless you plan on flying to San Fran and storm their RL office. 😄

But at least this is a good, free alternative to circumvent the new group limit and even bring a bit more order to the chaos of your own groups. 😉 I am using this method for years now and I have nothing to complain, it works, it is free and I love it. I actually made myself a full "service avatar". Not only does he have most of my store groups and serves as 2nd person to my own groups (if they're small or new). He is also my bank account through a script and many RP related things, like my radio and pager networks are now outsourced on him, so I can use him as "HUB" for all of my active alts.

You should consider such measures before complaining too hard about something that sucks but is as it is and won't be changed. Stop wasting your time yelling about the change, Linden "TheSinkingShip" Lab doesn't care much anyway. So rather use the time and find ways around it, like I did long ago. 😉

yes if LL wants to be so greedy and lose customers that even free accounts spend so much $ and $L in the economy...supposedly to save server space for groups...meanwhile causing lots of people to create new alts to join group thereby taking up more server space...is just well economic and corporate suicide. the bad part is, mikey that the free group gifts or discounts you might get from store groups wont be transferrable  to your main avatar :((((     

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Perhaps, though I doubt people en amsse will quit SL because they lose ten group slots and the new IM caps.

They might not quit SL, but they might stop a rental here and there for a shop. And that translates in dozens of sims down for LL. 

BTW, it have just been announced that the group cap reduction was removed :

So yay !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you LL, I had a feeling you would think again, good decision. 

Groups in SL are far from perfect but they are important too. I have some sympathy with those who feel they can be too spammy, but there are tools to filter out the spam including deleting the group if needs be. However  it's only spam if you don't want that kind of message. Personally speaking I never use my full premium entitlement and belonging to 80 active groups would boggle my viewer as well my mind. But sometimes when I'm doing a market research exercise I do like to have some overflow capacity. 

Glad I stayed away from all the drama 😎

^L^

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.