What would YOU do if you were Linden Lab?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It is a carrot for people to get Premium and a carrot for those looking to find a social venue where people chat in local. Win/win.

Many won't use local because they currently have a choice but my suggestion makes Basic a little more basic which is maybe as it should be. You have already stated in other posts there is nothing in Premium that entices you and though i have no clue whether you personally would leave S/L over not having IM or voice on the basic account, I'd wager that a great many others would not and that in the final analysis user retention would increase as well as Premium membership.

I use local all the time. Tell me I have to and I say good bye

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It is a carrot for people to get Premium and a carrot for those looking to find a social venue where people chat in local. Win/win.

If you never whispered behind someone's back you must have missed out on a lot of social interaction...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Many won't use local because they currently have a choice but my suggestion makes Basic a little more basic which is maybe as it should be. You have already stated in other posts there is nothing in Premium that entices you and though i have no clue whether you personally would leave S/L over not having IM or voice on the basic account, I'd wager that a great many others would not and that in the final analysis user retention would increase as well as Premium membership.

Many of my friends have issues and SL helps them, of course you would rather they discuss the problems of an autistic son in local, or being in a womans refuge in local...all because you think premiums are important. Sorry you are not you are an accounting blip in the lab accounts so go take your sense of superiority elsewhere

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I was choosing to be quiet but finally could't refrain putting up my suggestions for intended consequences:

1) Make Voice a Premium perk. 

2) Make initiating IM's, a Premium perk.

In my opinion, S/L has no need to balance any spreadsheet as it is still heavily in their favour, however the intended consequence of making those two features a Premium perk, is to help put the "Social" back in this Social platform as I am sure quite a few still will not upgrade and resort to using local chat instead. This would be an incredible boon to many clubs and other public venues where in spite of 20-30 people at them, not one word is said in local, nor new visitors greeted when they come in. Small wonder clubs are dying and the general populace slowly decreasing in spite of all that the platform has to offer.

Another potential "perk" I am sure would be unpopular but have immense benefits, would be to auto log out any avatar that hasn't moved or spoken for 30 minutes, unless they have paid for premium. That at least would help cover the costs of them standing around not contributing to the social factor.

It's not about land, clothes and/or trinkets but successful social interactions. That is the goal of a social platform. LL seems to have lost sight of that if they ever actually realized it.

lol.gif.6bd90b02bbd4188968744e95209d3aa8.gif

No.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

I use local all the time. Tell me I have to and I say good bye

Previously you said you did not use local so which is it? 

5 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Many of my friends have issues and SL helps them, of course you would rather they discuss the problems of an autistic son in local, or being in a womans refuge in local...all because you think premiums are important. Sorry you are not you are an accounting blip in the lab accounts so go take your sense of superiority elsewhere

No, i would rather you respected their privacy and didn't chat about that in local but at the same time why should that entitle you to free services if LL were to deem they are a perk some would be willing  to pay for?  As basic accounts does LL see us as anything more then accounting blips running in the red, not even contributing to the social aspects if always in IM?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

No, it isn't. It's a huge turn off to SL as a whole. 

My method of communication is my choice, not yours, not LL's, not anyone else's. 

And you didn't give a single thought to the people in SL who have partial or full hearing loss. How is voice going to be a carrot for us?

I choose how, when, where and with whom to be social, not you, not LL, not anyone else. 

So much for win/win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Was leaving an avatar online when not "awake" introduced in the Linden viewer?  Is it a feature now? Obviously a third party gal.  

Think I remember some of the TPV's from 10 years ago having the default set to logout after a certain period. Haven't had to set that to Never for a long time now though. Funnily enough I notice some clubs are using a a system where everyone has to click an object every 10 minutes to be allowed to stay for that amount of time or it boots them home. No loitering allowed :)

15 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Think I remember some of the TPV's from 10 years ago having the default set to logout after a certain period. Haven't had to set that to Never for a long time now though. Funnily enough I notice some clubs are using a a system where everyone has to click an object every 10 minutes to be allowed to stay for that amount of time or it boots them home. No loitering allowed :)

Thanks. Now I have another reason not to bother with clubs any more. 

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Thanks. Now I have another reason not to bother with clubs any more. 

Then again, other clubs do the opposite and offer their group members a chance of winning L$x every 30 minutes if they're in the club and wearing their tag - so that the club always has half a dozen AFK'ers there to generate traffic, even when there's no DJ around.

7 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Then again, other clubs do the opposite and offer their group members a chance of winning L$x every 30 minutes if they're in the club and wearing their tag - so that the club always has half a dozen AFK'ers there to generate traffic, even when there's no DJ around.

Better than a couple of clubs I know of that use bots to raise traffic.

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It's not about land, clothes and/or trinkets but successful social interactions. That is the goal of a social platform. LL seems to have lost sight of that if they ever actually realized it.

For many people SL is NOT about social interactions - it is NOT a social platform.  Many people are here to express their creative side.  Many are here to explore other aspects of themselves, not all of which (or necessarily any of which) HAVE to involve being social.  Many are here simply to run a business of some sort - and not all businesses require the business owner to be "social".

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

For many people SL is NOT about social interactions - it is NOT a social platform.  Many people are here to express their creative side.  Many are here to explore other aspects of themselves, not all of which (or necessarily any of which) HAVE to involve being social.  Many are here simply to run a business of some sort - and not all businesses require the business owner to be "social".

Thank you. I get tired of repeating myself.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

SL started out as a sandbox, a blank slate. Residents made SL what it is. For some people it's a social platform, but it's many other things to many other people.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Previously you said you did not use local so which is it? 

No, i would rather you respected their privacy and didn't chat about that in local but at the same time why should that entitle you to free services if LL were to deem they are a perk some would be willing  to pay for?  As basic accounts does LL see us as anything more then accounting blips running in the red, not even contributing to the social aspects if always in IM?

No I didnt say I didnt use local what I said was if this is implemented many of wont use local we will just go f off LL and leave. That is not saying I dont ever use local.

As to free services the Lab gets a pittance from the premium fee compared to their total revenue from sl 7.2%, the other 92.8% at least half of it is from us "Free" players probably more than half seeing as we outnumber premiums by about 9 to 1

As to respecting their privacy of course I do only for some reason you want to take that ability away from us

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

1) Make Voice a Premium perk. 

Or the opposite: either pay Premium or you must use voice.

Oh, I got one! Make gestures a Premium-only benefit -- two ways:

1. Pay to be able to use gestures, and 
  2. Pay to never experience anybody else's gestures.
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Retrospect - it's a great thing. Sometimes it even teaches us. What if we change the title of this thread to "what would have been better" or "what would have been more fair"?  Those were the thoughts in my head as I awoke.

Day One at Bellisseria was undoubtedly one of the best days in my virtual life -- and likely many others. It was exciting with new adventures; everyone was smiling and exploring, many hurriedly rezzing furniture or landscaping their new abodes. I must have heard the phrase "good old days" a dozen or a hundred times.  Now current and would-be Bellisserians are snipping at each other with insults and innuendos. It has certainly dampened MY enthusiasm for my new home. 

Sometimes we learn. Sometimes we don't. But looking back CAN lead to to a more balanced point of view in the future, so let's try. Here are my ideas what "might" have been better.

1.  First release = April 15th.  Opening the homes up to EXISTING Premium members.  Rather than fill the coffers with new premium members  -- most of who were not able to get an advertised home, to open the first wave of new homes to those that were already premium (many for over a decade) sending out emails to all those who qualified to LET THEM KNOW the homes would be available sometime on April 15.   This would have eliminated many new sign ups (many being alts). Indeed I went premium for the first time on April 15th and I know from all the comments on these forums that many alts were converted on that day (some earlier in preparation and those of course would have qualified as "currently Premium").   

2. NOT actively marketing the new homes to NEW and BASIC accounts for maybe three days -- IF there were still homes available. 

3. Making it VERY CLEAR in the subsequent Marketing that while there were new homes being constructed and being released each week, that becoming premium did NOT guarantee you a new home, it only guaranteed you a CHANCE at a new home -- with older homes still available and free 1024 tier still available.  

I have other thoughts but those are the main points that I believe lead us to the less than positive state in our virtual world's history.   On the downside, Linden Lab would not have all the "seed money" from all the new Premium accounts instigated to move into a new Linden Home. [ The extra income from raising membership and offering a "deal" for paying  a year ahead would still be in play in this scenario].  

I have no idea how many of the folks that went Premium for a new home dropped it the next month (or will the next year) but from comments here and inworld it seems like a lot.  I can't say whether the MONETARY gain overall during all these tough times  -- and let's throw in Tilia too as it is certainly in the mix -- has been enough to make the Linden Plan what it was expected, wanted or needed to be.  I can say that EMOTIONALLY it has set back a good portion of its citizenship, and I am wondering if it was worth it all.  

I DO think things will even out a bit as the year moves toward its conclusion. Some folks have given up their homes already with an increase regularity right now (this from recent reports on the forums of first gen houses being abandoned -- possibly from people going back to basic). With the general atmosphere change from joyous to anxious to depressing I can see others giving up homes also -- so a constant trickle of abodes to add to the weekly releases.  Super Duper Premium when it arrives and IF it contains what I believe it will should help elevate some of the gap between demand and availability.  

The trailer release will help of course and I am hoping that the cute campers  are mysteriously being set up out of our view and will magically plop down on the grid this late summer or early Fall to be filled with another group of enthusiastic Bellisserians. 

There is no doubt that the continent is getting prettier each day. I hope that eventually we get back to those  glorious days of new beginnings. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Retrospect - it's a great thing. Sometimes it even teaches us. What if we change the title of this thread to "what would have been better" or "what would have been more fair"?  Those were the thoughts in my head as I awoke.

Day One at Bellisseria was undoubtedly one of the best days in my virtual life -- and likely many others. It was exciting with new adventures; everyone was smiling and exploring, many hurriedly rezzing furniture or landscaping their new abodes. I must have heard the phrase "good old days" a dozen or a hundred times.  Now current and would-be Bellisserians are snipping at each other with insults and innuendos. It has certainly dampened MY enthusiasm for my new home. 

Sometimes we learn. Sometimes we don't. But looking back CAN lead to to a more balanced point of view in the future, so let's try. Here are my ideas what "might" have been better.

1.  First release = April 15th.  Opening the homes up to EXISTING Premium members.  Rather than fill the coffers with new premium members  -- most of who were not able to get an advertised home, to open the first wave of new homes to those that were already premium (many for over a decade) sending out emails to all those who qualified to LET THEM KNOW the homes would be available sometime on April 15.   This would have eliminated many new sign ups (many being alts). Indeed I went premium for the first time on April 15th and I know from all the comments on these forums that many alts were converted on that day (some earlier in preparation and those of course would have qualified as "currently Premium").   

2. NOT actively marketing the new homes to NEW and BASIC accounts for maybe three days -- IF there were still homes available. 

3. Making it VERY CLEAR in the subsequent Marketing that while there were new homes being constructed and being released each week, that becoming premium did NOT guarantee you a new home, it only guaranteed you a CHANCE at a new home -- with older homes still available and free 1024 tier still available.  

I have other thoughts but those are the main points that I believe lead us to the less than positive state in our virtual world's history.   On the downside, Linden Lab would not have all the "seed money" from all the new Premium accounts instigated to move into a new Linden Home. [ The extra income from raising membership and offering a "deal" for paying  a year ahead would still be in play in this scenario].  

I have no idea how many of the folks that went Premium for a new home dropped it the next month (or will the next year) but from comments here and inworld it seems like a lot.  I can't say whether the MONETARY gain overall during all these tough times  -- and let's throw in Tilia too as it is certainly in the mix -- has been enough to make the Linden Plan what it was expected, wanted or needed to be.  I can say that EMOTIONALLY it has set back a good portion of its citizenship, and I am wondering if it was worth it all.  

I DO think things will even out a bit as the year moves toward its conclusion. Some folks have given up their homes already with an increase regularity right now (this from recent reports on the forums of first gen houses being abandoned -- possibly from people going back to basic). With the general atmosphere change from joyous to anxious to depressing I can see others giving up homes also -- so a constant trickle of abodes to add to the weekly releases.  Super Duper Premium when it arrives and IF it contains what I believe it will should help elevate some of the gap between demand and availability.  

The trailer release will help of course and I am hoping that the cute campers  are mysteriously being set up out of our view and will magically plop down on the grid this late summer or early Fall to be filled with another group of enthusiastic Bellisserians. 

There is no doubt that the continent is getting prettier each day. I hope that eventually we get back to those  glorious days of new beginnings. 

That first day was the most awesome day!  First time I felt part of an actual community.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I have no idea how many of the folks that went Premium for a new home dropped it the next month (or will the next year) but from comments here and inworld it seems like a lot. 

i think it can't be a huge amount, because we only see (according the posts) 3 or 4 houses released as abondoned every day. .. however there aren't many homes yet, 3 or 4 a day is nothing.

In spite of parts with some die hards, ( where also a danger is by creating a elite world) the success off Bellisseria is in hand of the residents. Seeing all the posts from unhappy people.. (who will be unhappy about the purple flowers or white daisies in your garden too) i'm nearly happy not living there.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

10 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i think it can't be a huge amount, because we only see (according the posts) 3 or 4 houses released as abondoned every day. .. however there aren't many homes yet, 3 or 4 a day is nothing.

That logic is flawed in more than one way - just because a lot dropped out immediatly again does not mean no one remained. There aren't even enough houses out to replace the exiting user's old homes,... also a lot were snatched up by premium users who had no interest in a Linden Home before. 

And while we indeed might suffer from a filter bubble effect - so might you ;)

Edited by Fionalein

1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

That logic is flawed in more than one way - just because a lot dropped out immediatly again does not mean no one remained. There aren't even enough houses out to replace the exitung user's old homes,...

the fanatic refreshers reported nearly daily the amount of homes that were seen, some who looked at those numbers without picking it themself.
That there aren't enough new homes compared to the old ones is no secret it's about  38000 against 5000 ... but not sure why you drag that in. It's kinda irrelevant.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.