What would YOU do if you were Linden Lab?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'll let you argue that with Philip Rosedale since he is the one that made that determination.

But I can even argue that further. Look at Steam, there are tonnes of Sandbox games, that lack an ending, due to being in early access. Or have a survival mode, that doesn't have an ending, or any of its storyline. Heck, for a few years there Minecraft didn't have an ending. SL is an open world sandbox game. The definition of game, like many other things is changing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Yhishara Cerise said:

Limit how much land I can own without a premium membership. (Limit 8192 maybe - still a good size property to do most things.)

Limit how many Lindens I can buy in a 24 hour period. (Can still buy them but not all at once).

Limit how many Lindens I can spend in a 24 hour period (Considering I am a gacha junkie this would be a hard one)

Limit inventory size.  (My avatar is almost 10 years old and I am a packrat.  So far I haven't had many performance issues but I am sure there is a ton I could get rid of or box up if I had to).

Override the chat rules for groups so that they are read only for non premium members. (Can still get the news but can't talk about them.)

To just name a few things. 

I am a happy premium member and consider my premium cost a gift to LL (sort of) on top of what ever I pay by shopping, etc., etc. The fact that they give me a lot of benefits that I love on top of that is just the icing on the cake. I want SL to be around for a very long time and that's not going to happen without money. 

I would be utterly LIVID, though, if LL tried to limit how much I can spend or how much I can buy per day based on my premium membership. I'm not going to spent money so that I can spend money. And putting limits on buying and spending would just hurt everyone's bottom line, from the creators, to the DJs, to the hosts, to the Lab, and everyone in between. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I do not personally know any creators (H and G, clothing, jewelry etc) that feels they are in BOOM TIMES LOL.   I am sure there are some out there --- just saying that as far as I can tell that is NOT the norm. 

That's interesting. I'm sure you know more creators than I do, and as I think about it, I'm really only talking about the Home and Garden merchants who cater to those with more land to fill up with scripted geometry (and yeah, if it's not scripted, I likely know nothing about it). I simply don't know many clothing creators, so if they're hurting from so much money being siphoned-off to the scripted furniture market, I'd never know it.

One thing I would say, however: something has drastically increased the number of events in recent months, with each individual event apparently getting less business. So if a creator is only covering, say, twice as many events as last year, I can see they might be suffering a revenue shortfall.

If we're still not at peak event, I can't even guess what's ahead. But that is even more tangential to your original topic, sorry.

42 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

That's interesting. I'm sure you know more creators than I do, and as I think about it, I'm really only talking about the Home and Garden merchants who cater to those with more land to fill up with scripted geometry (and yeah, if it's not scripted, I likely know nothing about it). I simply don't know many clothing creators, so if they're hurting from so much money being siphoned-off to the scripted furniture market, I'd never know it.

One thing I would say, however: something has drastically increased the number of events in recent months, with each individual event apparently getting less business. So if a creator is only covering, say, twice as many events as last year, I can see they might be suffering a revenue shortfall.

If we're still not at peak event, I can't even guess what's ahead. But that is even more tangential to your original topic, sorry.

LOL. Well I don't know anyone in the XXX market (well one person that tried a new product line and it didn't go well  so quit).  

There ARE many new events. I have been invited to lots but didn't take them up on it. Friends that DID join the events had break even at best times to report, so at least my event radar is still good.  A lot of good (I mean well-made mesh) creators have left events altogether and there has been a fair amount of owner dra-ma in some top tier event groups leaving owners to scramble a bit it seems (only looking at what shows up on Seraphim and the quality of items going down) to fill their slots.  Several groups that did very well for me for a long time closed or downsized enormously (like less than 1/3rd the size with not so great products now). Several of the good-looking new events that seemed to be viable disappeared after a round or two.  

I can't really say if there are MORE events than previously; there are so many third and fourth tier events that I don't bother to watch. There are only a handful that are still doing well for creators and even traffic. Watching those green dots can tell you a lot ^^.  There is actually only one that venue I would join if asked (the others have too much owner drama for me :D).   A few long time (and good) creators have joined events in a lower tier level than they previously displayed in. That doesn't work for me personally, but it might for them.  And as you suggested, some have doubled their event portfolio -- oftentimes presenting less than their previous quality of work.   

None of this is positive from my point of view. Happily Marketplace and inworld sales still seem stable -- at least for me.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
added word for clarity
  • Like 1

Whenever the "SL is/not a game" debate rears it's tired head, I'm reminded that even back in the 90's, videogame developers were debating on the definition of "videogame", with many arguing that the term "videogame" was reductive and did not accurately describe all of the content that fell under that label. Many argued instead of "videogames" we should use the term "electronic entertainment", which of course does not roll off the tongue nearly so easily which is why everyone just sticks with "videogames" even though "Electronic Entertainment" are the first two "E's" in "E3", the largest "videogame" expo in the world.

It would be so much simpler if we could all at least agree that when someone says "videogames", they mean "electronic entertainment" because 100% of the time that is exactly what is meant and all we're really arguing are the semantics.

Edited by Penny Patton
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Penny Patton said:

Whenever the "SL is/not a game" debate rears it's tired head, I'm reminded that even back in the 90's, videogame developers were debating on the definition of "videogame", with many arguing that the term "videogame" was reductive and did not accurately describe all of the content that fell under that label. Many argued instead of "videogames" we should use the term "electronic entertainment", which of course does not roll off the tongue nearly so easily which is why everyone just sticks with "videogames".

It would be so much simpler if we could all at least agree that when someone says "videogames", they mean "electronic entertainment" because 100% of the time that is exactly what is meant and all we're really arguing are the semantics.

356074672_imageproxy(2).gif.9026a126d99c0d1019883442e0ba265c.gif

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Penny Patton said:

Whenever the "SL is/not a game" debate rears it's tired head, I'm reminded that even back in the 90's, videogame developers were debating on the definition of "videogame", with many arguing that the term "videogame" was reductive and did not accurately describe all of the content that fell under that label. Many argued instead of "videogames" we should use the term "electronic entertainment", which of course does not roll off the tongue nearly so easily which is why everyone just sticks with "videogames" even though "Electronic Entertainment" are the first two "E's" in "E3", the largest "videogame" expo in the world.

IMHO the two aren't quite synonymous.

This is enlectonic entertainment: https://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Lights-Out-Handheld-Game/dp/B000UHABZC

But it sure ain't a videogame. It's a game, but it has no video.

13 hours ago, Ana Stubbs said:

This is enlectonic entertainment: https://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Lights-Out-Handheld-Game/dp/B000UHABZC

And your iPod dock isn't really a dock because if you tied your boat to it and a wind came up... well... the Coast Guard would want to have a word with you.

• Haha 7

14 hours ago, Ana Stubbs said:

Looks more like an electronic device to me that you just happen to be able to play games on.

Anyone up for a game of hangman on a calculator?

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, Beth Macbain said:

I am a happy premium member and consider my premium cost a gift to LL (sort of) on top of what ever I pay by shopping, etc., etc. The fact that they give me a lot of benefits that I love on top of that is just the icing on the cake. I want SL to be around for a very long time and that's not going to happen without money. 

I would be utterly LIVID, though, if LL tried to limit how much I can spend or how much I can buy per day based on my premium membership. I'm not going to spent money so that I can spend money. And putting limits on buying and spending would just hurt everyone's bottom line, from the creators, to the DJs, to the hosts, to the Lab, and everyone in between. 

The limitations I suggested wouldn't affect anyone that is a premium subscriber.  Those limitations would actually be removed for you because you are paying Linden Lab a membership fee.   It would not take away anything from residents like you.   The limitations would, however, affect me because right now I am not paying a membership fee.    If I wanted those limits removed I would have to do as you did - and start paying a fee - which means - more money for Linden Lab because they would gain more money through membership.  

For me, I could still get around the limits.  Instead of visiting events in one day - I would have to visit them over several days.  I could still buy as many Lindens as I want just not all at one time like I can now.  If they hit me up with those limits - I don't think it would stop me from doing the things I am doing now - I would just be inconvenienced.   I would have to pay to have those inconveniences removed. 

I am using the examples of online games such as Everquest 2 and Lord of the Rings Online as an example because that is exactly how they did it.  And if I had to - I would just pay the money.  But that is also my point - there is no incentive now.  I think that those paying should have more benefits than someone not paying - but right now there is no incentive for people like me because I can do everything you can do.  And residents like you are footing the bill.   How is that fair? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yhishara Cerise said:

I think that those paying should have more benefits than someone not paying - but right now there is no incentive for people like me because I can do everything you can do.  And residents like you are footing the bill.   How is that fair? 

We do. Can you have a Linden Home? No. Do you have priority entry to full regions? No. Do you have 70 group slots? No. Do you get the weekly stipend? No. Can you get into the premium only areas? No. Live support? No. 

Yes, you can get around some of those like the priority entry to full regions, but that's literally the premium benefit - not having to wait. 

My houseboat alone is well worth my premium cost. If they gave me nothing other than that, I'd still be tickled pink. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Yhishara Cerise said:

I think that those paying should have more benefits than someone not paying - but right now there is no incentive for people like me because I can do everything you can do.  And residents like you are footing the bill.   How is that fair? 

Premium accounts actually get lots of things that Basic accounts don't get.  You could find a whole list of those benefits on your dashboard.  Here's a rough high-level things Premiums get:

image.thumb.png.48bee3b1cbd2a283ebbb3cd42b95387f.png

Plus a few other things that aren't on that list.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:44 AM, Beth Macbain said:

We do. Can you have a Linden Home? No. Do you have priority entry to full regions? No. Do you have 70 group slots? No. Do you get the weekly stipend? No. Can you get into the premium only areas? No. Live support? No. 

Yes, you can get around some of those like the priority entry to full regions, but that's literally the premium benefit - not having to wait. 

My houseboat alone is well worth my premium cost. If they gave me nothing other than that, I'd still be tickled pink. 

Do I want a Linden home?  No.   The prim count is way to low to make them worthwhile. Been there, done that, not worth doing again.

I have an item that gets me in to events faster at the push of a button. (Whether or not my computer can handle it when I get in is another matter lol)

I am not at my group limit now - I am about 10 or so away.

I can buy Lindens.  I think it's $10 for 2500L  If I pay that amount for the subscription I get 1200 -but I get $2500 for just buying Lindens for the same amount of money.  It's more worthwhile for me to go that route because I will use the Lindens more than I can use all the other premium perks.

What is in the premium area that I can't find visiting resident created areas? 

I rarely ever need Linden Lab support and if I ever did, I might subscribe and get my issue fixed then immediately unsubscribe.  Not really what they are wanting I'm thinking.

There are several houseboat creators in SL I'm sure.  With the right plot of land you can recreate pretty much that exact scene. 

I am sorry, I am really not meaning to be argumentative but I am just saying why many people (myself included) may not find premium worth getting. 

On 5/29/2019 at 11:04 PM, Chic Aeon said:

I see a ton of folks b****ing and moaning over the new changes.  I am not thrilled either as I will be paying about $150 more each year. BUT personally I don't see a better plan.

So what EXACTLY would you do if you were The Lab to "balance the spreadsheet" so to speak?

So give it your best shot --- or maybe just be quiet.

I was choosing to be quiet but finally could't refrain putting up my suggestions for intended consequences:

1) Make Voice a Premium perk. 

2) Make initiating IM's, a Premium perk.

In my opinion, S/L has no need to balance any spreadsheet as it is still heavily in their favour, however the intended consequence of making those two features a Premium perk, is to help put the "Social" back in this Social platform as I am sure quite a few still will not upgrade and resort to using local chat instead. This would be an incredible boon to many clubs and other public venues where in spite of 20-30 people at them, not one word is said in local, nor new visitors greeted when they come in. Small wonder clubs are dying and the general populace slowly decreasing in spite of all that the platform has to offer.

Another potential "perk" I am sure would be unpopular but have immense benefits, would be to auto log out any avatar that hasn't moved or spoken for 30 minutes, unless they have paid for premium. That at least would help cover the costs of them standing around not contributing to the social factor.

It's not about land, clothes and/or trinkets but successful social interactions. That is the goal of a social platform. LL seems to have lost sight of that if they ever actually realized it.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I was choosing to be quiet but finally could't refrain putting up my suggestions for intended consequences:

Think carrot, not stick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Another potential "perk" I am sure would be unpopular but have immense benefits, would be to auto log out any avatar that hasn't moved or spoken for 30 minutes, unless they have paid for premium. That at least would help cover the costs of them standing around not contributing to the social factor.

Had to smile at that. That was the NORM long ago -- for everyone -- and those of us camping knew the problem well. Dancing on a pad didn't fix the issue either but some smart (well from one point of view) script guru made some items you could wear (I think I had a ring) that woke your avatar up before you got logged out and confused the viewer LOL.  Well there wen't THAT plan.   Eventually staying logged on became a feature in third party viewers  -- at least I think they were first.  Someone else will remember. 

Was leaving an avatar online when not "awake" introduced in the Linden viewer?  Is it a feature now? Obviously a third party gal.  

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

In my opinion, S/L has no need to balance any spreadsheet as it is still heavily in their favour, however the intended consequence of making those two features a Premium perk, is to help put the "Social" back in this Social platform as I am sure quite a few still will not upgrade and resort to using local chat instead. This would be an incredible boon to many clubs and other public venues where in spite of 20-30 people at them, not one word is said in local, nor new visitors greeted when they come in. Small wonder clubs are dying and the general populace slowly decreasing in spite of all that the platform has to offer.

It's not about land, clothes and/or trinkets but successful social interactions. That is the goal of a social platform. LL seems to have lost sight of that if they ever actually realized it.

and many of us wont use local we will just stick two fingers up at sl and say f you and the donkey you rode in on. Your idea's would kill retention it would drive many basics away. You are stopping us being social which is the only thing that keeps us here

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 3:44 AM, AnyaJurelle said:

Give every premium member a full sim (free of charge) and L$1k stipend every week :D (no one said your answer had to be sensible)

can I have the about 17,000L$ as additional stipend please, rather than the full region.  Thanks!  😺

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

can I have the about 17,000L$ as additional stipend please, rather than the full region.  Thanks!  😺

Sure, why not? Just tell 'em AJ sent you and I'm sure they'll be only too delighted to oblige :D

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, animats said:

Think carrot, not stick.

It is a carrot for people to get Premium and a carrot for those looking to find a social venue where people chat in local. Win/win.

28 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

and many of us wont use local we will just stick two fingers up at sl and say f you and the donkey you rode in on. Your idea's would kill retention it would drive many basics away. You are stopping us being social which is the only thing that keeps us here

Many won't use local because they currently have a choice but my suggestion makes Basic a little more basic which is maybe as it should be. You have already stated in other posts there is nothing in Premium that entices you and though i have no clue whether you personally would leave S/L over not having IM or voice on the basic account, I'd wager that a great many others would not and that in the final analysis user retention would increase as well as Premium membership.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.