Jump to content

What would YOU do if you were Linden Lab?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I'm thinking that's the one thing OS Grid got right and is the only reason they are still going.

I love nothing more than trying to cross into a new region and getting disconnected because the guy running it can't configure his server box properly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For starters? Drop Sansar entirely and downsize everyone involved in that failure. I'd also have people try to optimize groups so they aren't a massive resource hog. It's incredible how long it t

Off the top of my head ...    Balance the books... Move to accounts being relationships with individual people who in turn have multiple avatars. Cap the number of avatars. All accounts

I see a ton of folks b****ing and moaning over the new changes.  I am not thrilled either as I will be paying about $150 more each year. BUT personally I don't see a better plan. So what EXACTLY

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I'm thinking that's the one thing OS Grid got right and is the only reason they are still going.

Honestly, I think OSgrid got it exactly right for OSgrid and that's why they are still going.

And Second Life got it exactly right for Second Life and that's why they are still going.

(Mostly, I think there's just and absurd overestimate of how much the cost of hosting an SL simulator contributes to the price of "owning" SL regions. Would there really be such appeal to saving perhaps 15% by bringing your own simulator? And with the understanding that it vanishes from the grid every other Wednesday and some other times without prior notice, until its upgraded to conform to new security specs? This is trying to be a grown up business, which nobody really expects of OSgrid.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Mostly, I think there's just and absurd overestimate of how much the cost of hosting an SL simulator contributes to the price of "owning" SL regions.

Yeah, me too.  Likewise, people seem to have the idea that that the thing that LL has traditionally charged for--that being land--is where the cost of running the business resides. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

I love nothing more than trying to cross into a new region and getting disconnected because the guy running it can't configure his server box properly.

If you could see the region, then it would be connected just fine. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its simple Chic, if you going to up the price then give  paying members more for their money, either more land space for  same payment in Tiers or lower tiers, price increases  with nothing in return will only cause paying members to downgrade or leave

Edited by greek Wingtips
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

Its simple Chic, if you going to up the price then give  paying members more for their money, either more land space for  same payment in Tiers or lower tiers, price increases  with nothing in return will only cause paying members to downgrade or leave

Then there is me, 12 years supporting SL with my own money and I plan on continuing this.  not everybody needs the eye candy,  my people are here, my family, my friends.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

Its simple Chic, if you going to up the price then give  paying members more for their money, either more land space for  same payment in Tiers or lower tiers, price increases  with nothing in return will only cause paying members to downgrade or leave

By that reasoning, the gas, electric, water companies, your internet provider and probably a host of other services should always offer extra perks when they raise the cost of the services they provide? In my country that doesn't happen. They just index the cost and you are just going to have to pay it if you want those services to continue. They base it on inflation, tax changes or whatever cost increase they encounter.  Yet here in Sl, people EXPECT something in return when LL just adjusts their prices to compensate for costs going up. And even when they are trying to cope with costs going up they still offer the option to play SL for free. So you can have your cake and eat it!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jules your defence is flawed and  clutching straws, Gas, electricity, water and even internet now are necessities  unlike SL , and I agree if something thats a luxury costs to much or one cannot afford then  one can cancel,thats my point, 

Edited by greek Wingtips
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, greek Wingtips said:

Jules your defence is flawed and  clutching straws, Gas, electricity, water and even internet now are necessities  unlike SL , and I agree if something thats a luxury costs to much or one cannot afford then  one can cancel,thats my point, 

Not being a necessity does not mean they have to price it to something suitable to you, it merely means they price it so they will make a sufficient income and if some people drop out because they see it as no longer worth it then they will shrug

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, greek Wingtips said:

Jules your defence is flawed and  clutching straws, Gas, electricity, water and even internet now are necessities  unlike SL , and I agree if something thats a luxury costs to much or one cannot afford then  one can cancel,thats my point, 

Okay, how about movie tickets? Your cable and internet providers? Hotels, airfare, concert tickets, eating in a restaurant, books, Spotify, Netflix, etc? 

The prices have certainly risen on all those things but none of them are in danger of going bye-bye. Inflation is, unfortunately, a real thing. Sure, you have to measure the value you get against what you pay and make that decision on your own when it comes to luxury costs, but if businesses, and LL is absolutely a business, don't increase their costs from time to time, they will die because the costs they have to pay are most certainly going up. 

There will always be a few people who stop using a product or service when prices increase, but for the most part people understand that costs rise for everyone, not to mention we're a bit lazy by nature when it comes to cutting things we enjoy out of our lives. 

LL made the right decision to increase costs. The additional 7 cents per day is a price I'm happy to pay to help keep them afloat, and most feel the same way because we get far more value out of SL than that. If you don't, that's cool. Go ahead and cancel. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, greek Wingtips said:

Jules your defence is flawed and  clutching straws, Gas, electricity, water and even internet now are necessities  unlike SL , and I agree if something thats a luxury costs to much or one cannot afford then  one can cancel,thats my point, 

@KanryDrago and @Beth Macbain already did an excellent job at answering why my point is not flawed. No further explanation needed :)

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@greek Wingtips

I'm sorry, but, we just need to accept that companies really do not care if they retain customers that are disabled and/or on fixed or low incomes. They're too deep into our pockets to care. They would much rather have our money in their pockets than for us to have food on our tables, clothes on our backs, rooves over our heads and quality education for our children. They want the same things for themselves except they must have the million dollar homes and cars, the thousand dollar suits, caviar, etc. It would never do for them to have to make do, like the rest of us.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Lol what, don’t like people to disagree with you? Asking for a friend.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me at all. There is a difference though between people who are negative all the time and show a certain way of thinking in their posts (call it negativity) or people who vary in emotion in their posts such as yourself. In this case i really just though both people i mentioned did a good job in explaining what i meant.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'm sorry, but, we just need to accept that companies really do not care if they retain customers that are disabled and/or on fixed or low incomes. They're too deep into our pockets to care. They would much rather have our money in their pockets than for us to have food on our tables, clothes on our backs, rooves over our heads and quality education for our children. They want the same things for themselves except they must have the million dollar homes and cars, the thousand dollar suits, caviar, etc. It would never do for them to have to make do, like the rest of us.

I am both in bad health and on a low fixed income. Granted i live in the Netherlands and i can't judge other countries. I do have friends in the same situation in other countries but all situations differ. One thing stands out though and that is the fact that i don't hear them mention that they dislike LL and their policies. They all see SL as a necessity in their lives and it contributes greatly towards their mental health that this world exists. Does it come at a cost if you want to be premium? Yes it does. Is it worth it? That's for every person to consider for themselves. For me personally it is worth it.

When it comes to the lifestyles of the people running Linden Lab, i do not get the impression that they lead glamorous lifestyles. Judging by what i saw recently on how they presented the company at a convention i also do not think they have massive budgets to run Linden Lab. I am always open to see information to the contrary and then maybe change my view but for now i don't see Linden Lab and it's employees being a lavish money grab operation.

Edited by Jules Catlyn
Fixed a booboo
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jules Catlyn said:

I am both in bad health and on a low fixed income. Granted i live in the Netherlands and i can't judge other countries. I do have friends in the same situation in other countries but all situations differ. One thing stands out though and that is the fact that i don't hear them mention that they dislike LL and their policies. They all see SL as a necessity in their lives and it contributes greatly towards their mental health that this world exists. Does it come at a cost if you want to be premium? Yes it does. Is it worth it? That's for every person to consider for themselves. For me personally it is worth it.

When it comes to the lifestyles of the people running Linden Lab, i do not get the impression that they lead glamorous lifestyles. Judging by what i saw recently on how they presented the company at a convention i also do not think they have massive budgets to run Linden Lab. I am always open to see information to the contrary and then maybe change my view bur for now i don't see Linden Lab and it's employees being a lavish money grab operation.

missedpoint.gif.109a39f026dbaa5dcb596eb747c53cab.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I'll just leave this here... https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Linden-Lab-Salaries-E100549.htm?sort.sortType=BP&sort.ascending=false

Considering the cost of living in San Francisco, I'd say it's safe to say none of their employees are living high on the hog. 

I'm not seeing anything under $122,000US. Must be nice to be able to earn that high of a salary/wage. And yes, to me, that is high. Extremely high. There was a time when I would have done almost anything to be able to earn $50k per year. These days I'm lucky if I can earn $25k per year. So yes, to me, they are living "high on the hog". I'm sure I am not alone in that.

 

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/bookkeeper-salary

Edited by Selene Gregoire
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'm not seeing anything under $122,000US. Must be nice to be able to earn that high of a salary/wage. And yes, to me, that is high. Extremely high. There was a time when I would have done almost anything to be able to earn $50k per year. These days I'm lucky if I can earn $25k per year. So yes, to me, they are living "high on the hog". I'm sure I am not alone in that.

You skipped right over the part about the cost of living in San Francisco. 

I currently don't make $50K a year, but I also live in Kentucky. If I were in San Fran making what I make right now, I'd probably be living in my car.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

You skipped right over the part about the cost of living in San Francisco. 

I currently don't make $50K a year, but I also live in Kentucky. If I were in San Fran making what I make right now, I'd probably be living in my car.

I live in Oregon. In a mobile home park. If I can't make enough to keep my mobile home and pay the lot rent, I won't even have a car left to live in.

Wages are one of the myriad of reasons I moved away from the South.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I live in Oregon. In a mobile home park. If I can't make enough to keep my mobile home and pay the lot rent, I won't even have a car left to live in.

Wages are one of the myriad of reasons I moved away from the South.

My point is that $122K in San Francisco isn't the same as $122K in Kentucky or Oregon. The cost of living is significantly different. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

My point is that $122K in San Francisco isn't the same as $122K in Kentucky or Oregon. The cost of living is significantly different. 

Yeah cost of living is different all over the place. Take where I live, Ontario Canada. Cost of living is through the roof. At the end of the day, not everywhere is the same.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...