What would YOU do if you were Linden Lab?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

When I think of Tree Fiddy, I remember that Classic South Park episode. Oh yeah, I need about Tree Fiddy. Lol

giphy.gif

That's precisely where it came from, comes from...you get the point, lol. 

:D

• Like 2

If I were Linden Lab ... thinking about it making me happy even I know it is impossible ...

1. I will pick up the phone to call Mr. Frisby and similar competitors to see if we can create joint programs for SL creators to opt-in for migrating some of their content to other metaverse. This could be a win-win-win for all, and new income for LL.

2. Rebrand SL to focus on adult entertainment and spinoff a separate entity for children / education / commercial purposes and keep them separate! This could potentially reduce regulatory costs and legal costs for each government SL is operating. 

3. Abolish the floating exchange rate system, make buy = sell, and outsource money operation to more efficient payment gateway(s).  Again, regulators will be happy, can reduce cost of operation, no more fears on inflation, and creators will likely to have more in their pockets and create even more. Can introduce a tier tax rate to compensate revenue lost, and aim at giving startup creators a tax break.

4. Decide to fix chat/IM or not. (i.e. out-of-order arrival of text, text get eaten up, salability issues) If not fixable, provide API to discord and the like, similar to integration with FB / Flickr / etc.  Group communication is still a key to what everyone do in SL.

5. Offer backup services, for artists / creators who cannot bare the monthly costs, and yet can suspend and resume their sim when financially possible again.  All those love that put into creation will then preserved and new revenues could be generated.

6. Define SIM performance clearly, and create new tiers for higher performing server which actually allow avatars to do something in the sim without lag-like-hell.  More avatars in SIM = more business = more revenue for everyone. Win-win-win.  (maybe dynamically load balancing but still keep 25 sim in 1 server if you are in low tier package)

7. Make marketing easier ... maybe to use google search appliance to improve search results so that people can actually find what they want. Introduce ability to do image search and search by color, and find a way for charge for it.

8. Start charging people based on the size of their inventory.  New income or will force everyone to clean up and reduce inventory server load.

9. Maybe an opensource program focusing on letting the community to fix bugs, error in documentations, etc, etc.  Don't have to do everyone ourselves, leverage the talents of our community.

10. Give big hug to SL support team, they are true darlings !!  Exceeded all my expectations among all the IT support I have deal with.

11. Take LL to IPO and we buy shares, and we all make real money!

Yes! Difficult / Impossible / not making sense ... but it is good to share a dream !

Edited by SoniaVileva
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

3 minutes ago, Erwin Solo said:

Maybe LL could charge L$1 each for each forum post.  Or maybe L$1 for each hundred words.  

or pay 10 for every post, and 100 for answers...

1 hour ago, SoniaVileva said:

Yes! Difficult / Impossible / not making sense ... but it is good to share a dream !

agree fully to that last line.. all others... ehm no thanks

• Like 7

Here is what I would do.

1. Locate the servers in the Cayman Islands, and the HQ in Bermuda. Next bring back gambling. With the servers in the Cayman Islands, and HQ in Bermuda, they don't need to obey gambling laws. May have to accept some other payment. Such as Bitcoin.

2. If the above is not possible, then shut down the Lindex. Let third parties buy, and sell the L$. They can sell it on ebay, or exchange the L$ for another online world's currency. After shutting down the Lindex, bring back gambling. Tell the government that the L$ is not worth anything. Say they are like bottle caps.

LL should look at both options. And see which one is feasible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Frankie Antonioni said:

Here is what I would do.

1. Locate the servers in the Cayman Islands, and the HQ in Bermuda. Next bring back gambling. With the servers in the Cayman Islands, and HQ in Bermuda, they don't need to obey gambling laws. May have to accept some other payment. Such as Bitcoin.

2. If the above is not possible, then shut down the Lindex. Let third parties buy, and sell the L$. They can sell it on ebay, or exchange the L$ for another online world's currency. After shutting down the Lindex, bring back gambling. Tell the government that the L$ is not worth anything. Say they are like bottle caps.

LL should look at both options. And see which one is feasible.

While they've never done the first and I would hope they have enough sense not to for legal reasons, they have done the second in the past. I doubt they want to open that can of worms again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Erwin Solo said:

Maybe LL could charge L$1 each for each forum post.  Or maybe L$1 for each hundred words.  

I vote this! Charge L$100 to start a thread and L$10 to reply lol im just kidding ill be broke or bored if this happened ... but maybe have a popup asking the poster if they have checked the current forum threads for the answer they seek lol. 

Do you think they could update the ToS and knowledge base stuffs too,  bring it in line with the present. I see alot of people referring to the current policies as outdated/blurred.

yp.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

I’m more of a technical person and I enjoy programming.  Personally I would love it if LL would allow people that have cloud computing resources to run their own simulators and pay a small fee to connect it to their grid.  It would be nice to dedicate more CPU and RAM resources to a sim or a group of sims than they offer.  I can’t afford to own multiple sims but have enough computing power to easily run a few.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 9:13 PM, SoniaVileva said:

8. Start charging people based on the size of their inventory.  New income or will force everyone to clean up and reduce inventory server load.

Many of your points are about helping creators flourish then you drop in this gem. Surely this would make people not wish to buy stuff if they get a recurring tax on it

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lordthete said:

I’m more of a technical person and I enjoy programming.  Personally I would love it if LL would allow people that have cloud computing resources to run their own simulators and pay a small fee to connect it to their grid.  It would be nice to dedicate more CPU and RAM resources to a sim or a group of sims than they offer.  I can’t afford to own multiple sims but have enough computing power to easily run a few.

Hosting our own regions and connecting them to the main grid, wouldn't that be a thing.

(and not with any of the opensim godmode stuff, host it with estate owner abilities, encrypted local files and a lower monthly fee)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KanryDrago said:

Many of your points are about helping creators flourish then you drop in this gem. Surely this would make people not wish to buy stuff if they get a recurring tax on it

It's a good way to run people out of SL for good. The more you nickle and dime people to death the less they want to be where it happens. Which is why I both like and dislike micro transaction platforms. If it's done properly and I'm not spending a small fortune every time I log on, then I'm fine with it (more or less) but if I'm having to spend real money every time I log in? Not going to happen.

• Like 2

I think LL is doing the right thing by targeting the money flow for fees.  Bandwidth has to be one of their biggest variable costs, and there's no good way to match a revenue stream to bandwidth.  At the region level, they don't have the technology to place a price on script load, which is much more important than land impact--at least in the things I do.  I see landlords still trying to "rent by the prim" (aka land impact metric), but the small (low-prim) rentals get stuffed full of single-prim highly scripted furniture.  We have typists with multiple avatars decked out with the finest of everything, who only spend L$ on avatar attachments (no land, no membership, etc.).  So, I think LL is doing the right thing by targeting the money flow for fees. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 8:04 PM, Chic Aeon said:

I see a ton of folks b****ing and moaning over the new changes.  I am not thrilled either as I will be paying about $150 more each year. BUT personally I don't see a better plan.

Why do people make threads like this without a link to what they're talking about?

What changes?

Link? Or even details?

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Why do people make threads like this without a link to what they're talking about?

What changes?

Link? Or even details?

This whole thread was really in response to the changes in Premium fees and cash out fees and such, so that is what she was talking about.  Here is the LL Blog post:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

What changes?

Link? Or even details?

at the time the thead was started it didn't need any more explanation... after more than 3 weeks it might be confusing :)

proces credit fees raised and premium subscription raised and changed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah.

The premium price increase is annoying but justifiable. This MMO is still going to be cheaper than any other MMO's subscription. $11.99/month is cheap.

I think lowering the price on grandfathered land is a mistake. I would only low it on ungrandfathered - such that eventually there is not a savings on having grandfathered land. That benefit should eventually vanish over time equalizing costs among all land-holders. Getting grandfathered at $170 and regular at $229 is bad. Leaving gransfathered at $195 and then letting regular go to $229 would be better as it would encourage more new buy-ins. Trying to get regular to $195 would be ideal - if it could be done without a profit loss.

Perfect would be slowly raising grandfathered while also lowering regular so they meet.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

What changes?

Link? Or even details?

There were about five PROMINENT threads at the time I wrote that  this original post. All complaining. My POINT back then (it has been quite awhile now) was to get some more positive energy into the mix. It was getting pretty dire. If you read the forums all the time (and I see your name often) then I don't see how you could have missed them.

No apologies here. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

One should ALWAYS reference what they're speaking about when starting a discussion or debate. Including sources, bibliographies, references, links, etc - is something we all learn in school in just about every country's education system.

- That's not aimed at you per se, this failure to reference source material or the topic for debate / discussion is a common Internet problem. We've got a global education failure it seems.

I've long wondered why, because when I got my third-rate ghetto public school primary education my teachers would'a smacked me upside the head if I failed to source what I wrote; something that paid off when I applied for and got into a top-tier graduate school 2 decades later... and even pays off in my code now (I could go on and on about devs that fail to comment their code - which is a related issue - and which I often have to clean up after the fact years later at cost to my employers and time away from the task at hand...).

• Like 2

On 6/21/2019 at 6:11 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

Hosting our own regions and connecting them to the main grid, wouldn't that be a thing.

(and not with any of the opensim godmode stuff, host it with estate owner abilities, encrypted local files and a lower monthly fee)

Just because OSGrid does it doesn't mean it's a good idea...

For the sake of argument lets re adjust all SL fees to better reflect costs:

• All accounts now have a monthly subscription based on bandwidth usage, inventory size, content and current avatar ( averaged over time).
  • All asset uploads are free, but come with a monthly storage fee that has to be paid for the asset to remain inworld.
  • Regions and land are now free but  have a variable monthly fee for bandwidth, cpu usage, storage and asset server transit.
  • Marketplace listings have a monthly listing fee.
Edited by Kyrah Abattoir
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.