What are your opinions on the new "Land Price Reductions, New Premium Perks, and Pricing Changes "?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

With the changes we're already losing a lot of members. I used to see clubs full all the time and MM prize boards getting smacked a lot. Now it's slowed way down.

sorry but this statements been written too often since 2008, and it's only very partly true

more reasons for it are:

there are clubs on nearly every parcelcorner .. all are more of the same, nothing outstanding good in build or theme, and every noob is a "experienced" DJ
many clubs kill themself by their policy on tips and gestures .. the constant begging and spamming the chat full of rubbish won't invite me, and others, to come ever again.

the MM... there are soooooooo many stores to choose from, people tend to go to the cheapest with acceptble quality, also many don't follow the flow... no real nice designs won't help you keep the businss running. Also many stores think they can do without proper customer support, reparing mistakes, client side mostly, will give a lot credit! .. look at most groups of the creators.. how many promiss groupgifts?... how many don't do it in fact?...

lot of things aren't on LL ... it gets destroyed by the users.

8 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

I'm not leaving my social groups. DJ groups, my event groups, old dead groups that I just have nostalgia for (and couldn't rejoin if left) or my land groups. The only ones I can ditch are the creator ones where my favorites advertise their new releases, so it'll be harder to keep track

thats a personal choice not based on facts but on feelings .. there are ways enough to keep up to date with DJ's and parties, social groups could go use the same priciple... connect in subject groups instead of all on their own, even merchants could unite in those.
( just suggestions .. but thats easy for me because i don't hoard groups that much)

2 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

there are clubs on nearly every parcelcorner .. all are more of the same, nothing outstanding good in build or theme, and every noob is a "experienced" DJ
many clubs kill themself by their policy on tips and gestures .. the constant begging and spamming the chat full of rubbish won't invite me, and others, to come ever again.

This is all too true. We've (RL other half and I) owned and operated a few clubs in SL over the years. Never again. The truth is the majority of those clubs do not make money. They lose money. They operate at a loss, not a profit and are lucky if they break even once in a while. That is the real reason most clubs (and RP sims regions) disappear after a relatively short time. 

7 minutes ago, Ani Aunerfal said:

As a premium user who does not own land, I feel like I have effectively been screwed for the benefit of land owners, especially since the only part of my premium perks that seem to have been adjusted are the parts that have the least value. No increased stipend, no new featuers, no extra allocation of land? You're just gonna.. Let me join more groups and get more offline IMs. 

Greeeat.

I kinda feel the same. The only new 'perk'  or better features I feel there is are the new homes (I love the ability to choose style within the theme). I don't care about group and IM limits. Stipend is still the same. However, trying to take in a bigger picture,  I'm thinking also, if it means the land owners do better that's more money for SL, so SL keeps going...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

thats a personal choice not based on facts but on feelings .. there are ways enough to keep up to date with DJ's and parties, social groups could go use the same priciple... connect in subject groups instead of all on their own, even merchants could unite in those.
( just suggestions .. but thats easy for me because i don't hoard groups that much)

I can just imagine the volume of spam that would create. Basics won't have a snowball's chance in hell with the offline reduction. Offlines capped daily. Emails crammed full. It wouldn't be much better for premiums. There are already a lot of similar groups out there that I've had to leave because of the constant spam from all the different merchants and their employees. Maybe rethink that one a little?

Edited by Selene Gregoire
forgot bold for clarity
  • Like 1

Just now, Fox Wijaya said:

sorry but this statements been written too often since 2008, and it's only very partly true

more reasons for it are:

I can see about some of the clubs. Some are ridiculous on the spam and constant invites. I hit the door running. There are some exceptions to a few clubs in world. My husband DJs at a club (Classic Rock & Blooooze) that just celebrated 12  years in SL and mostly it's the DJ and one or both of the owners on duty when the music is playing and none spam the chat for tips or joining the group.

I actually run a live music club in world and I dislike the begging/spamming in the chat. If someone wants to tip they are free to do so. We don't spam the chat "Tip this club blah blah" 6900 times per hour and I also don't allow the performers or their managers to mass group invite either --- I have gotten on their rear about for one former performer I had. 

1 minute ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

I kinda feel the same. The only new 'perk'  or better features I feel there is are the new homes (I love the ability to choose style within the theme). I don't care about group and IM limits. Stipend is still the same. However, trying to take in a bigger picture,  I'm thinking also, if it means the land owners do better that's more money for SL, so SL keeps going...

Yeah, and even the homes thing is only a benefit to some users. My land is allocated to the RP sim I admin at, so far as I know I am getting zero benefit from the changes even with that taken into account.

I don't have an inherent problem with land owners benefiting from the change, but if LL is changing the terms of the agreement with premium benefits, it would be good if they added benefits that have a generalized benefit to as many premium users as possible, instead of improving the value of things like group/offline IM limits and homes which benefit only some premium users.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I can just imagine the volume of spam that would create. Basics won't have a snowball's chance in hell with the offline reduction. Offlines capped daily. Emails crammed full. It wouldn't be much better for premiums. There are already a lot of similar groups out there that I've had to leave because of the constant spam from all the different merchants and their employees. Maybe rethink that one a little?

a little thinking in solutions :) ... : when getting at home after work, i check my post, mail and left messages. People inworld could do something like that in groups too, check the received posts in the groupwindow, when all who post make the first word their store name, it would be a matter of a minute to filter the interesting content.

The price increase for premium membership is $2.49 which, considering there has been no price increase in over 10 years comes out at an increase only slightly above the rate of inflation.

Yes any increase is unwelcome but in all honesty to have no increase in so long is good going.

An increase in the number of groups? Not really interested as I have only 30 group memberships. An increase in offline IM's - again not really that interested as I disable many groups from notices (spam event groups mostly).

The basic users will be up in arms over this of course as they are seeing their groups cut from 42 to 35 but hey - LL is here to make money and SL is not free to host.

All in all this is not a major problem for those who give LL their money via island ownership or premium membership but it will be an issue that the basic members will not be happy about one bit.

• Haha 1

The problem with the "LL is here to make money" being though that a lot of us basic users spend a ton of money on SL. :P We just have no reason to go premium specifically due to lack of meaningful perks. The new homes were a good try but most can't actually get one yet or I'd have done it. This is, in turn, a bad attempt to make it more appealing.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Randy Pole said:

The price increase for premium membership is $2.49 which, considering there has been no price increase in over 10 years comes out at an increase only slightly above the rate of inflation.

Yes any increase is unwelcome but in all honesty to have no increase in so long is good going.

An increase in the number of groups? Not really interested as I have only 30 group memberships. An increase in offline IM's - again not really that interested as I disable many groups from notices (spam event groups mostly).

The basic users will be up in arms over this of course as they are seeing their groups cut from 42 to 35 but hey - LL is here to make money and SL is not free to host.

All in all this is not a major problem for those who give LL their money via island ownership or premium membership but it will be an issue that the basic members will not be happy about one bit.

That is true, but when you have multiple alts, that adds up quickly. 

3 accounts at the old price for a year subscription = $216 USD

3 accounts at the new price for a year subscription = $297 USD

Now, I'm going to drop my third subscription and be charged $198 USD, which is close to what I would have paid for three accounts, results in 1024 sqm of lost land allocation, and $15,600 lindens a year.  So, there is a real loss of value there.  

I am not going to spend too much time fretting over it, but it does have an impact.  I do still think it is worth it in the long run, of course, I do think I have lost something as well.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

What about the volume of complaints and protests with basics going from 42 groups down to 35 groups would create?

13 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

a little thinking in solutions :) ... : when getting at home after work, i check my post, mail and left messages. People inworld could do something like that in groups too, check the received posts in the groupwindow, when all who post make the first word their store name, it would be a matter of a minute to filter the interesting content.

Not everyone has the time to go through several hundred emails coming from SL after work. If you've never been a part of one of those groups I mentioned, you've never seen the sheer volume of notices that are sent out, much of which duplicates because it isn't just the merchant sending them, it's their employees too. Then there are those who receive a high volume of email that has nothing to do with SL. 

And how are you going to enforce uniformity so that all duplicates are titled the exact same? I'm sorry. I just don't think you are thinking this through far enough. You know what they say about engineers? It looks good on paper but it doesn't work. 

Or maybe it's just me. I'm tired. It's been a long day thanks to the waste management running their trucks too early in the morning and waking me up before 5am. Then, of course, the migraine sets in due to lack of sleep. The TBI doesn't help. So,  if I am misunderstanding what you are saying, I'm sorry. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ani Aunerfal said:

You're quite right, forgive my wording.

I own a region, so I'm going to see a $17.75 savings, but that's off $255/m, so basically a token gesture. Residents that own many regions will benefit a lot more and the premium increase will be unnoticeable for them.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

. So,  if I am misunderstanding what you are saying, I'm sorry. 

i think you don't, but it will ask something not only from receivers, but also senders .. spamming should get lowered anyway, 20 times a day the same event promotion or red collored version of the 2minutes earlier promoted blue jacket should be forbidden anyway.

27 minutes ago, Randy Pole said:

This. The annual increase (there is no reason not to do it annually) is only $2.25/m. Generally, the only reason now to get premium is for owning land directly and an extra $2.25 is not a huge difference.

18 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

That is true, but when you have multiple alts, that adds up quickly. 

3 accounts at the old price for a year subscription = $216 USD

3 accounts at the new price for a year subscription = $297 USD

Now, I'm going to drop my third subscription and be charged $198 USD, which is close to what I would have paid for three accounts, results in 1024 sqm of lost land allocation, and $15,600 lindens a year.  So, there is a real loss of value there.  

I am not going to spend too much time fretting over it, but it does have an impact.  I do still think it is worth it in the long run, of course, I do think I have lost something as well.  

It is cheaper to get additional tier on a single premium account than to have multiple premium accounts. Before this raise, there was only a few edge cases where specific total tier was cheaper and only slightly.

I'm disgusted that they're lowering the number of groups free accs can be in. SL is old. We need more group space not less. We pay to join a lot of them and many have sentimental value or serve a purpose like for renters or events. What are we supposed to do?

Edited by Shauna Greymoon
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

i think you don't, but it will ask something not only from receivers, but also senders .. spamming should get lowered anyway, 20 times a day the same event promotion or red collored version of the 2minutes earlier promoted blue jacket should be forbidden anyway.

ok Now I am confused. I can't make any sense out of what you just said. English isn't my native language either. 

1 hour ago, Kadah Coba said:

This. The annual increase (there is no reason not to do it annually) is only $2.25/m. Generally, the only reason now to get premium is for owning land directly and an extra $2.25 is not a huge difference.

It is cheaper to get additional tier on a single premium account than to have multiple premium accounts. Before this raise, there was only a few edge cases where specific total tier was cheaper and only slightly.

Currently, it is $61.91 for 15,600 linden, in addition to that it is another $84 for 1,024 sqm a year, which is $145.91 a year..  This is still a bargain for premium accounts, if you are interested in land and linden, at $72 a year it was succulent even at the new prices it is a bargain.  I think premium is still worth it, but as I said there is a definite sense of loss, especially for people trying to keep to a budget, I don't know why linden let it go on for this long to begin with.

Edited by WillowTenage
goofed up on land allocated.

"Premium account required to own mainland."

So to sum this up..
1) Full sim mainland from 195$ to 175$
2) Premium increase from 72 to 99$

In conclusion:
Mainland became 2.25$ more expensive again..

and yes it doesn't seem like much, but of you get that bill once in a month it is significant

Edited by Denim Robonaught

2 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

Currently, it is $61.91 for 15,600 linden, in addition to that it is another $84 for 1,200 sqm a year, which is $145.94 a year..  This is still a bargain for premium accounts, if you are interested in land and linden, at $72 a year it was succulent even at the new prices it is a bargain.  I think premium is still worth it, but as I said there is a definite sense of loss, especially for people trying to keep to a budget, I don't know why linden let it go on for this long to begin with.

Was that the old larger stipends or the 300L one? I did all my calculations last year with the 300L since that it what I am able to get.

10 minutes ago, Kadah Coba said:

It may not be a huge increase (for us. it is for some people) but it's still essentially a devaluing of the product, adding more cost without much in the way of meaningful increase in gain for the buyer. If you don't use premium homes, cap your groups or your offline IMs (which is actually more people than you'd think), this is basically just a price increase with no benefit. My land is allocated to a sim, i am not in that many groups and my IMs don't cap. So i'm just paying more money and that's it.

• Like 4

Just now, Denim Robonaught said:

1) Full sim mainland from 195$ to 175$

This only correct for grandfathered pricing or buy-down regions. Most (like me) will be $249 down to $229. If you own one region and renew premium annually, you only save $17.75/m. Coming from $255/m, that's not really much savings.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.