What are your opinions on the new "Land Price Reductions, New Premium Perks, and Pricing Changes "?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's hard to be happy about this. I recently renewed Quarterly, so I'm "grandfathered"  for that option, but for how long? While I've had multiple accounts until now to support Mainland tier, that will no longer be feasible.

Downgrading to Basic would be a painful option for me, forcing me to cut ties and toss memories, since half of my 60 groups are sentimental remnants of my ten year history here. Several are paid groups, for creator group discounts. To remain active in official Events, I already have to leave groups to participate.  I've run out of groups I want to leave.

Offline IMs don't matter very much to me.  Friends and associates will know and use my emails.

Even the 1024 premium tier option will be negligible to me, without additional paid alt accounts to contribute tier for Mainland, I don't expect to own any more.

This may drive more demand to Estates,  however, I always preferred Mainland because I feel my no copy items are safer there.  Yet I will continue to buy coin to pay rent in an Estate, but I will need to buy it in greater amounts, because the current service fee of 1.50 makes even a purchase of 10 US dollars 11.50, so a 5 USD impulse purchase will be cost prohibitive.

I do understand and get the message that SL is desperate to increase revenues; probably not because of Sansar failing to thrive, but more likely because the move to the Cloud is proving to be a great drain, although absolutely necessary rather than a return to server farms.

After all, it's our Sweet 16 Birthday, and for all practical purposes, we can't stay in the Nursery anymore.

Perhaps this is the year to re-brand as AfterLife.

Cheers, with a sparkling water!

/me looks around for more vices to give up, like medical care.

hahhaha

Edited by emilia Avindar
clarity on Estates
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, LadyRosabella said:

Es ist totalunüberlegt von LL dise Änderungen zu machen.

Google Translation:

It is totally out of your mind to make any changes. For years we basics hope that the number of groups will be increased. It is hardly possible to manage my business with 42 groups. I had to take a manager for advertising. To be able to build on events, I have to take several places. Then buying groups to do business and look at all. I have no idea which 7 groups I should delete to be able to do 1 events like Spring or later Easter, Christmas.

Many basics like me do not have a credit card for different reasons. But we bring LL money by paying rent, go to events and thus raise the money in SL with others, so that the organizers can pay the rent for the event place.

Others, who only spend their free time, so spend money in SL, or dance whatever you can to buy something. That brings LL all the money. For years, newspapers write when they write something overhanging or download portals on the Internet, Sl are dead or extinct. For me SL lives, in the last few days I did not come to sims because they were overcrowded. But Residents, who will now be cut with the changes, of which some will surely stop now. The beginners who are told you need the group and the group first, they will quickly realize that LL does not seem to want them. I had my 42 groups full within 2 weeks. That will apply to all assets. Now soon only 35 groups? You have a splin! The recipe for getting money is not to disgust the majority. These are all potential money-makers!

As for the IM's. Even today, I always tell everyone, read it in an infinite number of profiles. Im capped, please send nc's. Now 25 down to only 15? Now finally the few people I know who have not had any difficulties now come to this point.

At the Risenevents the booth rents are on average 1000 L and higher. Anyway, only premium people can pay that. They are also preferred, even by advertising groups. Customers are expected to be stupid and can not look further than 10 meters.

Instead of improving these and other annoying points for basics now so this scolding.

I'm assuming the changes will lead to fewer residents in the long run and that means LL will make less money. What use are cheaper lands for premium, if really the Sims become a whole bit emptier?

No offense intended. I'm just trying to be helpful.

1 hour ago, Fox Wijaya said:

thats not out, you just have to be patient till the new batch gets delivered, with some luck you'll get one than. 
till that time you can use your tier level at mainland or half mainland and a old linden home.

if they are increasing pricing then they should make sure all new homes are available to all premium members …. just my thoughts on it .

• Like 1

I'm not pleased myself with the group decrease with the storefronts in sims I rent, all the admin groups I have for different communities, the library group that I head, the regular community groups, the shrine and meditation groups... I only have room for a very few shopping groups after all of those totally 42. I have had to drop groups that I would have preferred to keep as responsibilities inworld grew. The lower group limit definitely makes it less likely that my store group is going to have people in it to take advantage of inworld group discounts and harder for me to do any additional networking to know about events.

8 hours ago, ananoelle said:

If you can afford $50 usd or twice that a month then premium shouldnt be a problem for you if your not already. 

Grumpity has explained the reasons for lowering groups for basic accounts. See her post for clarification.

No, I'm not premium. I have no need of a badly made LL home. I have a very nice home made by a user of SL, not an employee. 

Ah yes, lets look at what Grumpity said, shall we?

11 hours ago, Grumpity Linden said:

We’re not lowering limits out of spite, groups really are quite a strain on our back end for a variety of painful historical reasons, including overloading group functionality instead of having other tools.  This subject alone is worth a novel liberally sprinkled with tears. So anyway, we don’t hate basic users, and in fact we work hard to retain our free-to-play offering as one of the most generous across many industries. But yes, no big surprise, we do want to nudge active residents to become subscribers, because we think it’s a great value

So, more groups put a strain on LL back end ONLY for basic members as Premium members already have 60 and are getting 10 more, while basic have 42 and are losing 9.. So, Premium groups dont put strain on LL back end but Basic groups do? Talk about a slap in the face... 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Those who will suffer from this decision most are those who NEED the groups. Like business owners, creators, and roleplay communities. Those who are active and contributing a lot to SL, economically and socially. Those who don't do this - can easily  drop those groups and have zero incentive to get premium. It really feels like a slap in the face.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

if anyone is freeloading in sl its the premiums who only use a linden home and get their land rental for 1$ a month after you take the stipend into account . A lot of us basic only players give more to the labs each month than many premiums so less of this "Oh its us premiums that keep the labs afloat" you are a trifling sum in their revenues compared to the landlords paying tier, who only do so because there are basic people like me to rent the land

What??  As a premium member, I pay $112 u.s.d. per month for my mainland holdings.  I currently also pay $90 u.s.d. per year for my premium membership.  I do not own a Linden Home and never have.  They didn't have those when I started playing SL.  I think I do however get 512 parcel of land free of the 32000+ parcel of mainland that I own.   I highly doubt that you pay more than I do monthly to LL.  I'm not a freeloader and you shouldn't assume that all premium members are!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Linda Reddevil said:

What??  As a premium member, I pay $112 u.s.d. per month for my mainland holdings.  I currently also pay $90 u.s.d. per year for my premium membership.  I do not own a Linden Home and never have.  They didn't have those when I started playing SL.  I think I do however get 512 parcel of land free of the 32000+ parcel of mainland that I own.   I highly doubt that you pay more than I do monthly to LL.  I'm not a freeloader and you shouldn't assume that all premium members are!

If you actually read what Kenny posted

2 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

if anyone is freeloading in sl its the premiums who only use a linden home and get their land rental for 1$ a month after you take the stipend into account . A lot of us basic only players give more to the labs each month than many premiums so less of this "Oh its us premiums that keep the labs afloat" you are a trifling sum in their revenues compared to the landlords paying tier, who only do so because there are basic people like me to rent the land

You would see he wasnt talking about you at all. He was talking about those who only have the LL home and nothing else. He never said all, he was actually very very specific. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

If you actually read what Kenny posted

You would see he wasnt talking about you at all. He was talking about those who only have the LL home and nothing else. He never said all, he was actually very very specific. 

I did read (and comprehended) what was posted and I know it wasn't about me specifically because he/she doesn't even know me.   You can read that line two ways.  Deal.

Am I the only one kinda put out by this line, "as well as the introduction of an all-new membership level for those who want to get the absolute most out of their Second Life."?

I'm tired of carrots being dangled with no real meat to grab a hold of... heck it's not even a carrot - it's a vapor of a carrot. I really would like some real information on what this is going to be. We've been hearing this rumor for well over a year now. 

• Like 8

Actually that is the line that has finally convinced me to downgrade my premium account to basic. I don't trust Linden Lab (or any other American company for that matter) to provide the consumer with a quality product (plus I am annoyed that I have to pay for Sansar's inadequacies).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

Am I the only one kinda put out by this line, "as well as the introduction of an all-new membership level for those who want to get the absolute most out of their Second Life."?

I'm tired of carrots being dangled with no real meat to grab a hold of... heck it's not even a carrot - it's a vapor of a carrot. I really would like some real information on what this is going to be. We've been hearing this rumor for well over a year now. 

It's another '...changes later in the year' promise. 

Though if there is ever a super duper premium level, then I hope it does include a daily wake up call from my favorite Linden - now that I would happily pay the extra for XD
Oh and like the promise of no lag ever that'd be a top feature to pay for!
And oh yeah... how about finally after all these years fixing the things that were supposed to be fixed years ago, but it's actually gone on far too long broke that fixing them now would be pointless as technology has changed, therefore implementing features that actually work on a consistent basis instead of a hope and a virtual prayer. 
Roll on SL16 - I'm super excited to know what's next... either this year...
or next year...
or the year after that... 
Wooo! Bring it! XD 

• Like 2

Even if I appreciate a lot the new houses and can understand the reasons of the changing, I think that increasing the groups number for premium accounts is not so interesting like having a bit more weekly salary. I don't think is a big loss for LL as we spend those lindens in SL and are part of its economy.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ginger Xuisse said:

Does it makes sense to you?

Do you think is fair? What will you do with the groups you paid for to join? How about those extra groups you delete to add a  temporary group that you need to join?

Do we know whats the advantage of this for us, the users?

With these new changes, the 300L that we get as premium will it increase as well?

I think is good that we let them know how we feel about this.

Be respectful please.

Refer to this post:

The savings in islands fee will be eaten up by the increase in premium accounts -- which you need multiples of because of lag with accounts with high inventories and groups with land and many members. 

Anything that makes it harder for people to make rentals without premium accounts -- which is the vast majority of renters in SL on islands and mainland -- will harm the economy. I have many tenants not on premium.

I don't need more than 60 groups precisely because I'm forced to maintain several premium accounts. It's "nice to have" but not really so valuable.

What I focus on with this announcement is the reiteration of the Linden dream of *not being dependent on land for the economy*.

Like a lot of Internet geeks, they hate land as a concept, because it means living not in tradition or stability, but outside of the unicorn realm of all possibilities online. But land is traditionally what has made human societies free and democratic and prosperous, and virtual land is no different. Humans can't be engineered overnight.

The Lindens also don't like land for practical reasons as it means more servers and more costs -- tier, as bad as it is, doesn't really reflect those costs to them of server farms, electricity bills, staff, programmers, etc.

They love the idea of a content-based society where you buy dresses on a Marketplace not in a bricks-and-mortar store on a server; you pose with it not in an actual house you rent on land, but a backdrop (increasingly popular gatcha items) in a sandbox or public rezzing space - and you just chat with friends or go shopping in those long intervals when you are not having sex in a club or temporary hotel. With fashion in body parts and pets what it is, they can encourage big purchases of the equivalent of US $10 or $25 or more for every 4-hour log-in session.

Watch "latest items purchased" on the Marketplace, and you will understand what the current virtual society is about -- clothes, bodies, and sex, particularly violent sex -- not houses, trees, kitchens, campfires etc which mean a more variegated society than the cave man.

Lindens are convinced that the future of virtuality is online marketplaces of content, with purchases taxed by them, which sustain their real-world business. Ultimately, they want servers to be something some prosumers or secondary users take on as a cost, rather than their company. And they may reach their dream.

I personally don't think they have a viable concept for a society, and they should instead be frankly making their world land-based and figuring out how to make it easier and more attractive for people to own and manage land, instead of buying content on a marketplace with Lindens -- which they also tax when purchased.

But I don't have a virtual world company, they do, so it is what it is.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, RuffertasAlt said:

First, Thank you for the spreadsheet. I was trying to do the calculations myself last night, but this makes it a lot easier. I had been automatically assuming that having more premium alts would result in lower tier costs (what with group ownership reduction) but it looks like I am going to have to do some more thinking. I should add that I prefer to do the once-a-year premium payment rather than paying monthly tier because my outgoing expenses are irregular and some months I have a little more unallocated income than others.

If you would otherwise buy the >$60 worth of L$ per year, then it starts being cheaper to have more than one premium account. The way the land tier prices scale as they increase makes it hard to beat just going up a tier verse getting another premium sub with an additional lower tier level. When the L$ stipend factors in, and only when you would buy L$ regardless, then the numbers shift towards something more complex.

• Thanks 1

There is literally nothing good about this announcement, Liden Labs is basically  just raising the cost of membership and the premiums get nothing in exchange.

I couldn't care less about having more groups, how about you give us a break and increase our weekly lidens allowance and land ownership instead ? At least that would warrant the price increase for the premium membership.

As for the basics well they just get whipped even more than they already were... I don't see why anyone would be happy with those changes.

Edited by unmatched1
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, LadyRosabella said:

Es ist totalunüberlegt von LL dise Änderungen zu machen. Seit Jahren hoffen wir basics das die Gruppenanzahl erhöht wird. Es ist mir mit 42 Gruppen kaum möglich mein Geschäft zu führen. Ich mußte ein Manager dazu nehmen wegen Werbung. Um bauen zu können auf Events muß ich schon mehrere Plätze belegen. Dann Kaufgruppen um Geschäft und Aussehen überhaupt machen zu können. Ich habe keine Ahnung welche 7 Gruppen ich löschen soll um 1 mal Events wie jetzt Spring oder später Ostern, Weihnachten machen zu können. 

Viele Basics wie ich haben keine Kreditkarte aus verschiedenen Gründen. Wir bringen aber LL Geld indem wir Mieten zahlen, auf Events gehen und somit mit Anderen das Geld in SL aufbringen, damit die Veranstalter die Miete für den Eventplatz zahlen können.

Andere, die nur Freizeit machen, laden mal so Geld in SL auf , oder tanzen was auch immer um sich was kaufen zu können. Das bringt LL alles Geld. Seid Jahren schreiben Zeitungen, wenn sie übehaup was schreiben, oder Download Portale im Internet, Sl seid tod oder ausgestorben. Für mich lebt SL, in den letzen Tagen kam ich nicht auf sims, weil sie überfüllt waren. Aber Residents, die nun so bechnittten werden mit den Änderungen, von denen werden sicher nun einige aufhören. Die Anfänger, denen gesagt wird du brauchst am Anfang erstmal die und die Gruppe, die werden schnell merken, das LL sie anscheinend nicht haben will. Meine 42 Gruppen hatte ich innerhalb von 2 Wochen voll. Das wird auf alle Aktiven zutreffen. Nun bald nur noch 35 Gruppen? Ihr habt einen Splin! Das <rezept um Geld rein zu holen ist es nicht die Mehrheit raus zu ekeln. Das sind alles potentielle Geldeinbringer!

Was die IM´s angeht. Schon heute sage ich allen immer, lese es in unendlich vielen Profilen. Im´s capped, bitte schickt nc´s. Jetzt also 25 runter auf nur 15? Da werden nun endlich die paar Leute, die ich kenne, die bisher keine Schwierigkeiten hatten nun auch an diesen Punkt kommen.

Bei den Risenevents sind die booth Mieten im Schnitt 1000 L und höher. Das können sowieso nur Premium Leute zahlen. Die werden auch bevorzugt behandelt, auch von Werbegruppen. Es wird erwartet, daß Kunden dämlich sind und nicht weiter als 10 Meter schauen können.

Statt diese und andere nervige Punkte für Basics zu verbessern nun also diese Schelte.

Ich gehe davon aus, die Änderungen werden auf lange Sicht für weniger Einwohner sorgen und das bedeutet LL wird weniger Geld verdienen. Was nützen billigere Ländereien für Premium, wenn denn wirklich die Sims ein ganzes Stück leerer werden?

**I did the translation for this post** It is totally out of your mind to make any changes. For years we basics hope that the number of groups will be increased. It is hardly possible to manage my business with 42 groups. I had to take a manager for advertising. To be able to build on events, I have to take several places. Then buying groups to do business and look at all. I have no idea which 7 groups I should delete to be able to do 1 events like Spring or later Easter, Christmas.

Many basics like me do not have a credit card for different reasons. But we bring LL money by paying rent, go to events and thus raise the money in SL with others, so that the organizers can pay the rent for the event place.

Others, who only spend their free time, so spend money in SL, or dance whatever you can to buy something. That brings LL all the money. For years, newspapers write when they write something overhanging or download portals on the Internet, Sl are dead or extinct. For me SL lives, in the last few days I did not come to sims because they were overcrowded. But Residents, who will now be cut with the changes, of which some will surely stop now. The beginners who are told you need the group and the group first, they will quickly realize that LL does not seem to want them. I had my 42 groups full within 2 weeks. That will apply to all assets. Now soon only 35 groups? You have a splin! The recipe for getting money is not to disgust the majority. These are all potential money-makers!

As for the IM's. Even today, I always tell everyone, read it in an infinite number of profiles. Im capped, please send nc's. Now 25 down to only 15? Now finally the few people I know who have not had any difficulties now come to this point.

At the Risenevents the booth rents are on average 1000 L and higher. Anyway, only premium people can pay that. They are also preferred, even by advertising groups. Customers are expected to be stupid and can not look further than 10 meters.

Instead of improving these and other annoying points for basics now so this scolding.

I'm assuming the changes will lead to fewer residents in the long run and that means LL will make less money. What use are cheaper lands for premium, if really the Sims become a whole bit emptier?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

No, I'm not premium. I have no need of a badly made LL home. I have a very nice home made by a user of SL, not an employee. 

Ah yes, lets look at what Grumpity said, shall we?

So, more groups put a strain on LL back end ONLY for basic members as Premium members already have 60 and are getting 10 more, while basic have 42 and are losing 9.. So, Premium groups dont put strain on LL back end but Basic groups do? Talk about a slap in the face... 

Your a basic account holder expect the basic functions. 

Premium account holders get premium functions. 

Thats life.

You can spend spend spend till your heart is content but basic is basic.

• Like 1

screwing loyal non premium members too who pay a ton on rent and products this is really nasty because they failed at sansar and the VR fad >.< npbody wanted it now we are paying through the nose for their mistakes, so much for SL being mostly self governing 

13 minutes ago, ananoelle said:

Thats life.

premium are getting 20 more groups 60 to 80 and we are getting 7 less down to 35, bang goes 7 of my high cost paid groups thank you SL....this will NOT bring in more premium members if that is their angle it will push people away

and the cost of buying lindens is more than doubling from $1:49 added on to $3.00 it is crazy and that is even on if you only get 5 dollars worth....rent, products everything will be raised again after only just having a high hike and this infuriates me as a non premium member I used to spend 40k Lindens a month NOT on premium....no more

25 minutes ago, ananoelle said:

Thats life.

basic is basic? i know plenty of non premium accounts that spend a fortune on rent and products, wth does that count for? nothing clearly

2 minutes ago, Z0MBIEBAIT said:

and the cost of buying lindens is more than doubling from $1:49 added on to $3.00 it is crazy and that is even on if you only get 5 dollars worth....rent, products everything will be raised again after only just having a high hike and this infuriates me as a non premium member I used to spend 40k Lindens a month NOT on premium....no more

The cost of buying linden dollars remains $1.49.  The $3.00 amount in the announcement was in regards to the cost of cashing out lindens (to your USD balance). 

• Like 2

well that is something I suppose, but having to ditch 7 high fee groups ... 8 if u keep the obvious empty slot

When does this all go into effect btw has anyone any idea please date wise?

Edited by Z0MBIEBAIT

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.