Sign in to follow this  
RozaeR

Mafia Role Playing Partner

I have tried looking for any Roleplaying Mafia groups and communities seems to be something from the past. I want to bring it back.. and roleplay build a community buy a Sim, Create families and activities ect I have always wanted to get into mafia roleplaying I used to on another platform but the game is no more. if anyone is interested or know anyone with the same idea contact me I would be glad to even join something that already exists. 

I just replied on @avamitchellalt's other thread, but I'll throw my humble opinion into the ring here too, for what it's worth.

For starters, crime is not done well in Second Life. I've seen a LOT of would be villains over the years, from the text book to the down-right unbelievable, and few ever stay the course. They don't last because there's no steady build up. It's all or nothing. There's no accountability. No law enforcers of equal caliber to give criminals anything close to worthwhile competition (without the need for OOC metagaming). There's no support network from folks willing to play lesser characters, or rather, no one wants to play a bit-player permanently to a handful of characters that always seem to be hogging the spotlight.

If you can manage all that, you will need an equal and opposite force to oppose you, that may or may not (and ideally shouldn't be) the local police force. Your family needs another family as a source of conflict. But even that will bring the same problems that I just mentioned above. Families, especially crime families, need not just a lot of people, but the right kind of people to run well. And while there seems to be no shortage of people who have some sort of connection to the mafia or such affiliation, you're going to struggle to find people who share your vision so completely.

In SL especially, role players want immediate gratification. There are the few exceptions, but for the most part people want to be stars of their own movies and don't want to spend days or weeks or even months building anything before they reach any kind of pinnacle in the story. In short they want the rush; the murder, the crime spree, and they want it all right now. It doesn't matter if there's no cops around to witness it. It doesn't matter if they don't have other people to play as victims. It doesn't matter if they don't even experience repercussions from their actions. And if they do, half the time they won't want it because it doesn't match their personal requirements to how their story should go. 

When it comes to crime, also be aware that things can and do escalate very fast. So while Family Member A gets a kick out of shooting an NPC to make his bones, you'll also find Family Member B who has to go shoot down an entire family of NPCs plus half an NPC police force to earn favour - and so on it continues until the story is thrown out the window and all your left with is a competition to see who has the biggest cajones. By this point any other players that may have been caught up in the excitement will have grown tired of the shock and awe tactics and moved onto another family or another sim. And any police force you did have will dry up and follow suit because no one wants to lose all the time. If you don't strike a balance across the board it becomes a one-man (or several man/woman) show, and everyone else starts feeling obsolete.

And I know that most people will tell me that I'm wrong. They have the answers. They've done it successfully already many times. Think about this: the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Instead of doing the same thing, try doing it better. Smarter. You don't have to reinvent the wheel, you just have to make sure you have enough reliable components to make sure the whole thing turns.

One last point to make: no family should be permanently led by one person from start to finish. A Don has his Consigliere, there are Underbosses, the Capos, the Soldiers, and everyone else in that pyramid of power. But if you don't let that power shift in either direction, things are going to stagnate very quickly. Most RP families have a boss that won't give up the reigns to anyone for anything, and the second he's challenged will simply close ranks and walk away. Don't be that guy. Don't be cliquey. Allow people to rise and fall and redeem themselves and reward them with good stories when they do. And also be prepared to come against the supervillain who is a family in his own right and doesn't need anyone else.

Playing Mafia RP comes with a lot of headaches. I wish you the best of luck. From everything I have seen and experienced over the years, to do it well, you're going to need it.