New homes, new price

Sylvia Tamalyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It is late and was a rough work day, but I think my brain is still calculating correctly.

L$300 per week in stipends = L$15,600 per year that LL gives me.  I can sell L$15,600 today and get $57.62 after fees.  If I'm willing to wait a few days, I can get a slightly better rate, so I'll round that up to US $60.00 for easier calcs.  That means the annual membership will now cost me US $39.00 (whereas before it was only $12.00).  

If I drop an alt back to basic instead of paying that $39.00, then Lil has to pay the 1024 tier level each month in order to maintain the current amount of land.  That is US $7.00 per month, which is $84.00 per year.  

So, if I do not wish to reduce my land any more than I already have done for the Linden Homes, it is still cheaper for me to pay for the land alt to be Premium.

12 minutes ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

There is a bit to work out in all of this, the land fees for some cancel out the increase in premium so I am guessing they saw that as an incentive there, but I do not see any mention of what will happen to Stipends ? @Linden Lab  there are three different (to my knowledge) stipend payouts. 500 400 and 300 currently. If the annuals change will their stipend change ? by starting at a new price point are we all then on the same stipend ? 

They did state that the L$300 stipend is not changing and I highly doubt that they will change the two older stipend amounts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

They did state that the L$300 stipend is not changing and I highly doubt that they will change the two older stipend amounts.

thank you :) there are so many different threads, not had a chance to catch up on extras out there, also just trying to be sure that it is not one of those 'but you started a new contract with us ' situations like they do with phone etc so you lose previous options, I did not think that they would do that but just wanted to be sure :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Here is a thread in the General Discussion area, started by a Linden, regarding the changes. I admit I haven't had time to read his post yet, but I will!

They were smart to delay making these changes until AFTER releasing the new Premium homes.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MaidenHu said:

WOW the  amount of premium accounts I have is even embarrassing to say out  loud , But this will make me  have to get rid of at least 2 of them.

I just ran the numbers with the new pricing. Who am I kidding, I'm not getting rid of ant of my premium accounts, It just would not be logical. It is a bit of sticker price shock when you 1st see it, but overall it is not too outrageous.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

And waiting over a month after the release so that people have made a community they don’t want to leave!

Good bait catches fine fish. Market economy functions in exactly the same way, so no reason to whine. :P

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AngieRath said:

Good bait catches fine fish. Market economy functions in exactly the same way, so no reason to whine. :P

Not whining, but I am mourning all the public places I have built in Bay City over the years that I will now be giving up.

• Sad 3

11 hours ago, Evangeline Ling said:

I think that may all change though if at some point they fiddle with the tier levels... some people have suggested they might.  If mainland tier goes down at some point then suddenly having so many premium alts might not be as big of an advantage.  Currently I have 4 avatars total I have premium on.  2 of those are paying a tier level on top of the cost.  I'm doing a minor land dump this month so I can tier down on 1 of the two which is going to make the increase almost a complete wash... But then it sorta depends on how much land do you have, how much of it is really necessary and how much is rainy day land. So I think a lot of the hubbub of today may hinge on any changes they may make in the tier levels at a future date.

Agreed that while "even" now (at least for a 2048) that could change in the future. The problem is that switching from group owned to single avatar owned will likely cost money with overlap  -- especially for yearly payment which I am pretty sure most "land alts" are on for most people (this from forum chatter).  Plenty of other things may change over time also, so we'll have to see how things go.  And of course when there are other people involved that makes it trickier also. 

But we usually muddle through.  

15 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Not whining, but I am mourning all the public places I have built in Bay City over the years that I will now be giving up.

Now? You could stay here another year on the same terms with your alts. But you know that.

My husband just signed up and could have had a LH. But he wants a houseboat. C'est la vie! And as long as he can finance it for himself . . . 😇 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, AngieRath said:

Now? You could stay here another year on the same terms with your alts. But you know that.

My husband just signed up and could have had a LH. But he wants a houseboat. C'est la vie! And as long as he can finance it for himself . . . 😇 

That requires paying for all those alts at the same time (by June 23 or whenever) to "grandfather" them, no? That's a huge chunk of change, so something has to give.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Agreed that while "even" now (at least for a 2048) that could change in the future. The problem is that switching from group owned to single avatar owned will likely cost money with overlap  -- especially for yearly payment which I am pretty sure most "land alts" are on for most people (this from forum chatter).  Plenty of other things may change over time also, so we'll have to see how things go.  And of course when there are other people involved that makes it trickier also. 

But we usually muddle through.  

It might not cost to switch from group to a single because of the grace period... when a land no longer has the correct number of land tier to support it you get a warning (ie... a group member that was donating pulls out etc...) at that point the land does not immediately go back to Linden Labs but you have a window of time to get it back in order... so in theory you could pull all your tier donation out of your own land, then tier down with all your alts, tier up with your main, then sell it from group to yourself... Again this is just a theory... there may be a restriction applied to selling land that does not have enough tier currently covering it.  You would need to research that out or possibly ask one of the land barons who knows more about these things... I do remember a long time ago having to do something similar to this when I needed to change my land from one group over to another group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Lizbette Tearfall said:

Well since all the new homes got taken up …...have they set a date when more new linden homes will even be released?

Sadly no:( The blog post just says more coming 'soon'. My personal guess is either just before SLB16 on 20th, or just after that date (since there will be themes shown there). I would have thought June since it was about a month between the first and second batch releases (I think) . But what do I know lol...

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

@Linden Lab

Look at the reactions to the blog post:

92.6 % Oh no!
only mere 7.4 % Ok, go with it.
Reactions-to-blog-post.jpg.9e41b82e83a78757c7e20c4717d793ed.jpg

Maybe something should be changed in your plan?
(This is not a rant, just an observation of the fact.)

That is a tiny percentage of residents overall. The squeaky wheel and all that... 

The truth is most residents are perfectly fine with the changes.

7 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

How do you know for sure?

You can't be 100% sure, but it often is the case that those who are angry or upset will vent that in forums in greater numbers than those who may think or feel something positive. People are always more likely to voice their opinion if they are upset. It's like the old saying in customer service that a person who has a bad experience in  shop/restaurant etc. will tell 10 people, but if they have  a good one probably just 1 or 2 (or something like that:)  ). Plus it's usually only a small percentage of users that will bother to visit the forums and post anything. So I would say the majority of users will probably just say 'hey ho' and pay the increase, accept the changes etc., and are probably fine with it in the sense of feeling that's just how it is.

I guess time will tell...if many drop their subscriptions. But LL probably wouldn't reveal that info...

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

That is a tiny percentage of residents overall. The squeaky wheel and all that... 

The truth is most residents are perfectly fine with the changes.

Can't really say most are for or against it, because we can't see how "most" actually feel about it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.