New homes, new price

Sylvia Tamalyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The prem membership bump is painful, but not unexpected. If anything we're paying for years and years of mismanagement when the premium cost didn't change. How LL made any money at all from annual subs is beyond me. Really shows just how much of the can estate owners were carrying.

What we need to see now is movement on teir payments so that simply rolling multiple premium accounts isn't the best value option for owning a little more land (and even with the bump, it still is).

The big question is what they have in mind for the "super premium" account coming later, it's clear that it simply wont be a few more IMs, groups and a little extra L. If they start gating what could be considered a core aspect of the service (creation of EEP assets, Script functionality like BoM or Exp Tools, etc) behind a fat payment then we're in prim tax territory.

I also want to see some movement on tech from Sansar being back ported to SL. We paid for it thus far, and we're sat here watching it tank, still paying for it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That is a pretty big price increase for premium and it makes me hesitate about the idea of renewing. I'll probably take the early renewal if it fits the budget and then think twice beyond that. 

2 hours ago, Vega Firelyte said:

I understand that LL wants people to go Premium, so the extra perks I could understand but to downgrade the free account with the groups, that is the one thing I don't understand.  That one feels a little like they are punishing those that are on the free accounts.

Yes, that one seems strange to me too.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I just did some "quick and dirty" math and found that the new price increase effectively (for a 2048 lot which is what our group has) negates any deal with the group land.  Presumably everyone will stay in our group, but there is no real incentive (again, maybe at other levels so check for yourself) to have "land alts".  Basically $13 - $14 per month either way.  

The difference is in the stipend, I think. At least for me, that is my incentive. After I did math based on my alts I currently have (land alts, yes) vs dumping those premium accounts and paying higher tier, it's cheaper to keep the alts. Even more so if I factor in the stipends they receive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

The difference is in the stipend, I think. At least for me, that is my incentive. After I did math based on my alts I currently have (land alts, yes) vs dumping those premium accounts and paying higher tier, it's cheaper to keep the alts. Even more so if I factor in the stipends they receive. 

I'm really surprised they didn't do anything here to address that.

• Like 1

New Linden House is a candy needed paid more. New and old Linden House are totally different things to me. Old is a private house to me, while new is a open showcase to the world.  The nature design and the rule make them open even with orb.

I agree maintaining new need much extra costs, but I do not expect they increase the premium fees such early.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Well my alts never spend their stipend so that was always in my calculations. I think it may depend on the amount of land you have.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ruslana Koskinen said:

New Linden House is a candy needed paid more. New and old Linden House are totally different things to me. Old is a private house to me, while new is a open showcase to the world.  The nature design and the rule make them open even with orb.

I agree maintaining new need much extra costs, but I do not expect they increase the premium fees such early.  

Early?  I don't think it has ever changed in my 10+ years

I can't think of a single thing that costs the same today as it did 10 years ago.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I might feel differently if I ever cashed anything out or used Paypal, but I think this increase is entirely fair and overdue. A 5% credit card transaction fee is higher than the norm, but most businesses, I believe, are also paying a fee for their merchant account on top of the transaction fee. Much like any retail operation in the real world, it's the merchant that eats those fees, though it also often shows itself in increased prices. I'm okay if that happens in SL, too. especially on the MP. I'm paying for the convenience of not having to TP around and find crap inworld.

Of course, if I'm going to pay more on the MP, I would like if they'd invest some time and energy into making the categories make sense, and a search function that works better, but... maybe down the road?

As they said, it's been more than a decade since they increased their prices on premium. I have no real knowledge of LL's finances, but I'm sure Sansar has been a drain on them. They took a gamble and it didn't pay off. Sucks for them, and sucks for us, because someone has to pay for it and there is no one else to do that except us. Much like taxes, though, I'm okay with paying more in order to keep LL afloat. I also think it makes sense to decrease the free benefits to give a not-so-subtle arm twist to encourage free accounts to upgrade to premium. Someone mentioned somewhere that there are 63,000 premium accounts - I wonder how many active free accounts there are. At the end of the day, LL is a business and a business has to make money. I don't know a single business that ever looks at their annual budget for the next year and says "Eh, we don't need to increase revenue... we're good."

This is also going to persuade me to switch from monthly to yearly so I can be grandfathered in for another year and I'm sure I won't be the only one, so that will possibly give them a little influx of cash right off the bat. 

All in all, I think this shouldn't be unexpected. Prices increase. It happens everywhere. At least land prices are going the other way, right? (I don't, nor have I ever, owned land so that part of it all is really rather beyond me.) 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well my alts never spend their stipend so that was always in my calculations. I think it may depend on the amount of land you have.

My alts do not spend their money, either. They hand it all over to me, and I spend it. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

5 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I have no real knowledge of LL's finances,

Region count's are public, and we can guesstimate prems at 60K .. L$ volumes are more complicated to work out, we have a rough idea of LL staff size  ... could get close enough with a little masochism, dash of self loathing and a spreadsheet.

• Haha 2

Debi lets me keep my stipend and she spends hers .. but we have a third premium alt who never sees the light of day or even the dark of night and that money just sets in the account waiting to be cashed out to pay the annual premium when it comes due. I'm probably going to opt in for renewing before the grace period runs out so I can get all three annuals at the current rate. I'm glad they are offering us that discount.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 4

Well, I have abandoned my Linden Home and downgraded to Basic, but I’m an alt.

That savings will pay for the increase for my main avatar.

I don’t like the increase but I do understand it, I am just hoping it does not go like the increase to purchase Lindens and go up again in a couple months.  As I recall, I think, they had three increases in a relatively short time to that one.

1 minute ago, Evangeline Ling said:

You realize you can just send all the L on your alts to your main account?

They pay their premium cost with the money that they get back. Why would I want it? I make plenty on the items I sell and don't buy much. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chic Aeon said:

They pay their premium cost with the money that they get back. Why would I want it? I make plenty on the items I sell and don't buy much. 

Then you are benefiting from the Ls... the point is you do spend them in some way that gives you a benefit... in your case you use it to offset the cost of premium so the Ls are valuable

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Then you are benefiting from the Ls... the point is you do spend them in some way that gives you a benefit... in your case you use it to offset the cost of premium so the Ls are valuable

I realize that and ALWAYS count that into my calculations. No argument. It will still cost me $150 more each year.

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

I realize that and ALWAYS count that into my calculations. No argument. It will still cost me $150 more each year.

I think that may all change though if at some point they fiddle with the tier levels... some people have suggested they might.  If mainland tier goes down at some point then suddenly having so many premium alts might not be as big of an advantage.  Currently I have 4 avatars total I have premium on.  2 of those are paying a tier level on top of the cost.  I'm doing a minor land dump this month so I can tier down on 1 of the two which is going to make the increase almost a complete wash... But then it sorta depends on how much land do you have, how much of it is really necessary and how much is rainy day land. So I think a lot of the hubbub of today may hinge on any changes they may make in the tier levels at a future date.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Region count's are public, and we can guesstimate prems at 60K .. L$ volumes are more complicated to work out, we have a rough idea of LL staff size  ... could get close enough with a little masochism, dash of self loathing and a spreadsheet.

As a data geek, that sort of sounds like my idea of heaven... lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The basic account drop in groups is very surprising, I am not sure if LL actually know that many groups do charge a fee,  and if someone had to swap a group they have to drop 8 to gain one, some people have every group they have as a paid for group, so they have no leeway, there are so many things that need groups to function this is going to impact a lot of things going on, it will mean people having to just say they cannot join something add a group for something without losing potentially thousands of Lindens to do so (some groups are low to join or free (those get juggled, some are more costly) Personally I usually only max out groups this time of year making new ones for an event and having to keep the others until everyone is in the new, but I have premium so am able to. 

Creators and the like are often sitting in a dozen groups just to be able to rez their releases at something they are participating in, this is going to be a very strange time especially the get under 35 groups part. I do not see why that had to happen, when it was 'given' in such a flourish in the past. 13 25 42 now back to 35 seems unnecessary. 

There is a bit to work out in all of this, the land fees for some cancel out the increase in premium so I am guessing they saw that as an incentive there, but I do not see any mention of what will happen to Stipends ? @Linden Lab  there are three different (to my knowledge) stipend payouts. 500 400 and 300 currently. If the annuals change will their stipend change ? by starting at a new price point are we all then on the same stipend ? 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.