New homes, new price

Sylvia Tamalyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ouch..  I don't know, but I might end up dropping my third premium account over that.  Not that it is not worth it, I just can't afford that in my budget..  I think some people have older premium accounts that were grandfathered in at a much lower price,  it looks like they are going to lose that.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, EdmundPendragon said:

While I don't think this will cause many users to quit Second Life, I do think this will cause those users with multiple Premium accounts to downgrade their second and third accounts to Basic.

Yep, I've already made a list of Mainland parcels I will likely sell off so I can demote some land alts. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

It's a shame that they are getting rid of the quarterly one, since for some individuals, that fit their budget.  More savings than the monthly but their budget could not fit the full annual one, was a nice middle ground.  I understand that LL wants people to go Premium, so the extra perks I could understand but to downgrade the free account with the groups, that is the one thing I don't understand.  That one feels a little like they are punishing those that are on the free accounts.

• Like 7

I'm confused about renewal. It says to renew before June 24th to lock in your rate for another cycle, but I see no option on the premium page for those of us who are already annual (and not currently up for renewal) to add another year. Is this option only for those who want to change their membership type?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Yep, I've already made a list of Mainland parcels I will likely sell off so I can demote some land alts. 

It would be nice if they added a discount to people who have more than one premium account, say - like a 20% off the second and beyond.   I'll likely demote the one account, and lose a 512 parcel on the mainland, I really want to keep my 1024 mainland parcel though so I'll keep her active, as well as this one.   On the plus side, this will give me more of an incentive to learn how to actually make mesh items, as there will be a drop in my income.   I hate to see people like you lose out on land though, it is a shame :(

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WillowTenage said:

Ouch..  I don't know, but I might end up dropping my third premium account over that.  Not that it is not worth it, I just can't afford that in my budget..  I think some people have older premium accounts that were grandfathered in at a much lower price,  it looks like they are going to lose that.

I have never heard and know of no one who remembers a $10 fee for EVERYONE. I believe the first account was always free as well as any  "illegal alts" (there were tons of those).

There was however for a time a $9.95 (so let's say @10) fee for any official alts that you wanted to make. You could have up to five official accounts that would then say "payment info used" which was kind of important back then. They could be premium or not. This was in 2006. There WAS a time long before that when there was some kind of offer from LL to pay a fee and have membership including stippend forever. This has been discussed here in the past but I don't know anyone still here that had that to ask so cannot verify that personally.  

"I"  am very happy to see the  premium rate go up rather than the 30% (a number mentioned a couple of times by Ebbe but NOT in any official declaration of fee increase -- just in passing to maybe scare us? Don't know) increase in Marketplace fees.  I think that plan may have been shelved (fingers crossed) when they saw what happened in Sansar with that STORE fee change ^^.  This is certainly more fair to the overall population. 

Presumably there will be more info on how to pay early as the deadline get's closer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The doubling of process credit fee, so soon after they last raised the fee (under a year ago, I believe) is a rough blow for creators. Maybe this new premium tier that's hinted at in the article could have a reduced process credit fee?

Edited by Teager
removed a second comment because I did incorrect math
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Mistique Starbrook said:

Not surprised by this price increase.

Still cheap entertainment in my opinion.

I agree.   This is my entertainment and I don't mind the increase.  For me it is still worth it for what I get out of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I have never heard and know of no one who remembers a $10 fee for EVERYONE. I believe the first account was always free as well as any  "illegal alts" (there were tons of those).

There was however for a time a $9.95 (so let's say @10) fee for any official alts that you wanted to make. You could have up to five official accounts that would then say "payment info used" which was kind of important back then. They could be premium or not. This was in 2006. There WAS a time long before that when there was some kind of offer from LL to pay a fee and have membership including stippend forever. This has been discussed here in the past but I don't know anyone still here that had that to ask so cannot verify that personally.  

"I"  am very happy to see the  premium rate go up rather than the 30% (a number mentioned a couple of times by Ebbe but NOT in any official declaration of fee increase -- just in passing to maybe scare us? Don't know) increase in Marketplace fees.  I think that plan may have been shelved (fingers crossed) when they saw what happened in Sansar with that STORE fee change ^^.  This is certainly more fair to the overall population. 

Presumably there will be more info on how to pay early as the deadline get's closer.

All of the older premium membership stuff is way beyond my time, I remember someone writing they paid less for their premium membership because they had purchased it years ago.  I may have misunderstood them completely. 

A 30% increase would hurt as well, I hope we won't be seeing that.   What is all of the credit processing fee stuff?  I don't think that impacts me because I don't use paypal or skrill (whatever that is) 

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Teager said:

I'm confused about renewal. It says to renew before June 24th to lock in your rate for another cycle, but I see no option on the premium page for those of us who are already annual (and not currently up for renewal) to add another year. Is this option only for those who want to change their membership type?

Fellow annual here too.. we can renew early per here: " Simply renew before June 24th to extend your current Membership at the same low rate. For example, monthly members will be billed at the lower rate for one more monthly billing cycle, while annual members may renew (or monthly users may upgrade to annual) early to add one more year to your existing Membership at the current lower rate. "

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ClariceRose said:

Fellow annual here too.. we can renew early per here: " Simply renew before June 24th to extend your current Membership at the same low rate. For example, monthly members will be billed at the lower rate for one more monthly billing cycle, while annual members may renew (or monthly users may upgrade to annual) early to add one more year to your existing Membership at the current lower rate. "

Yes, I had the same takeaway from that part, but I don't see where to actually do that. I'm thinking this may only apply to annual members who are already up for renewal before June 24th, which I don't think either of my premium accounts are. If someone figures out how/where to do this, give me a poke?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Teager said:

Yes, I had the same takeaway from that part, but I don't see where to actually do that. I'm thinking this may only apply to annual members who are already up for renewal before June 24th, which I don't think either of my premium accounts are. If someone figures out how/where to do this, give me a poke?

I believe it doesn't go into effect until June 3rd. So after that you should see the ability to extend at the current (lower) rate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hendrix Portal said:

I believe it doesn't go into effect until June 3rd. So after that you should see the ability to extend at the current (lower) rate.

hoping this is the deal, but will it take payment on the 3rd or at the actual time of renewal?

Edited by Kitten Kaos
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Teager said:

You're correct, I just tried to renew early and it got this:

error.PNG

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Kitten Kaos said:

hoping this is the deal, but will it take payment on the 3rd or at the actual time of renewal?

If I'm reading it correctly, it will take the payment between the 3rd and the 24th and extend your current membership by a year (or month, if that's your plan.) I assume -but don't quote me on it- that it adds one more year to whatever time you currently have left at the time of payment. Hopefully someone can clarify this. 

• Like 3

Ok, duh me, I'd have to try to renew on or after June 3rd...

To help with the transition to the new pricing, starting June 3, we’re offering a limited-time opportunity for existing Premium members to lock in their current rates for one more billing cycle,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hendrix Portal said:

If I'm reading it correctly, it will take the payment between the 3rd and the 24th and extend your current membership by a year (or month, if that's your plan.) I assume -but don't quote me on it- that it adds one more year to whatever time you currently have left at the time of payment. Hopefully someone can clarify this. 

Thanks Hendrix, I hope someone will clarify. One premium yearly?- Sure I can swing that next month;  but more than one...?  Ummmmm

Edited by Kitten Kaos
  • Thanks 1

• Community Manager

Just a quick note to clarify that as many of you have mentioned, currently the option to renew your current plan at your current rate is not available on the page. This will be available sometime on Monday June 3rd, and we will update in the forums to let you know when it is live. We will also update the blog post to mention this as well. Thank you!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 13

2 minutes ago, Linden Lab said:

Just a quick note to clarify that as many of you have mentioned, currently the option to renew your current plan at your current rate is not available on the page. This will be available sometime on Monday June 3rd, and we will update in the forums to let you know when it is live. We will also update the blog post to mention this as well. Thank you!

Will payment for a yearly renewal be due upon the date one's current plan ends or immediately upon taking that option?

Edited by Kitten Kaos
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

All of the older premium membership stuff is way beyond my time, I remember someone writing they paid less for their premium membership because they had purchased it years ago.  I may have misunderstood them completely. 

A 30% increase would hurt as well, I hope we won't be seeing that.   What is all of the credit processing fee stuff?  I don't think that impacts me because I don't use paypal or skrill (whatever that is) 

This was for CREATORS and folks cashing out (mostly creators but land barons too and maybe a few other types). We already had a hefty hike in cashing out some time back. Hopefully this new plan will work well enough that LL  won't increase the Marketplace fees.

Honestly after Sansar and now that we can have lower prices inworld than on the Marketplace, I would just raise all my MP prices with a note that that items are (whatever percentage) less in world.  As a creator I am tired of being singled out to pay and I know I am not alone.  So in general I am OK with this plan. It does me no good personally but I think it is FAIR and fair works for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I just did some "quick and dirty" math and found that the new price increase effectively (for a 2048 lot which is what our group has) negates any deal with the group land.  Presumably everyone will stay in our group, but there is no real incentive (again, maybe at other levels so check for yourself) to have "land alts".  Basically $13 - $14 per month either way.  

• Thanks 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.