$99 problems

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

Instead if 72 USD the new yearly fee will be 99+ 19% VAT for me (under the assumption leaving vat out of yearly is a typo - if it is needed for legal reasons it will be needed for yearly too)

That is 45.81 USD more or a whoopin 63.6% increase ... not yet available features are not enough to lure me in at that raise ... 

So this...

14 hours ago, Grumpity Linden said:
  • Premium prices are going up on June 24.  Starting June 3 and until June 24,  Premium accounts have 3 weeks to pre-pay an additional cycle of premium at the old rates.  Best deal is, of course, prepaying for annual regardless of your current level. We hope you can take advantage of it. If you’re paying quarterly today, you can continue as quarterly. We will no longer offer it to new premium signups.  With the new prices, VAT will be charged on monthly and quarterly but not annual (of course only in the countries where VAT applies).

...is a "typo"?

• Confused 1

• Lindens
On 5/29/2019 at 4:23 PM, Jennacasp said:

so now we have to pay $3 transaction fee...to buy lindens?

The fee to buy L$ remains $1.49 regardless of amount.  The $3 fee you saw in the blog is the minimum fee charged to process credit (formerly known as cash out). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

So this...

...is a "typo"?

Did they doublecheck that with the EU? Sounds like a source of trouble to me... Trouble that might even fall back on us customers - not LindenLab. I am sincerily curious for the argumentation here. Would of course be nice.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grumpity Linden said:

The fee to buy L$ remains $1.49 regardless of amount.  The $3 fee you saw in the blog is the minimum fee charged to process credit (formerly known as cash out). 

Well... that is a small sigh of relief. A very small sigh. Very, very small. Sorry. Feedback is what it is. 

On 5/30/2019 at 12:08 AM, Selene Gregoire said:

You know, it would not surprise me if LL were to do away with basic accounts altogether. If they ever do go that far, they may as well close the doors to Linden Research because there is no way they can stay viable on Sansar income alone. They really are shooting themselves in the foot.

I can almost safely say this wont happen, they would be literally giving more ammo to free services such as IMVU and its ilk

5 minutes ago, DarkRavenWolfie said:

I can almost safely say this wont happen, they would be literally giving more ammo to free services such as IMVU and its ilk

It wouldn't be the first time LL would have done something not very intelligent.

And I did say IF.

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It wouldn't be the first time LL would have done something not very intelligent.

And I did say IF.

this would be literally kill a huge party of Second Life and you know this just as well as I do and they probably know it as well.

A monthly fee can work for games like WoW, not so much for a virtual world

Edited by DarkRavenWolfie

19 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Lets imagine ways this could be worse.

Basic accounts are only allowed ten friends, and can only send a certain number of IMs a day, and every time they try to unbox something it gets worn on their head, even if it's a HUD.  Also, obviously, they have damage enabled at all times.

My therapist calls this catastrophizing, and I could do it all day.

Edited by Branduff Bisnovat
Accidently posted and couldn't back out at that point.
  • Haha 11

27 minutes ago, DarkRavenWolfie said:

this would be literally kill a huge party of Second Life and you know this just as well as I do and they probably know it as well.

A monthly fee can work for games like WoW, not so much for a virtual world

I beg to differ.

In regards to Selenes comment about IF they do away with  basic and then your reply.

There's one thing sl has over similar platforms. People are emotionally invested. Invested into their avatars/relationships and lifestyle here. They may leave for a bit but will probably return over missing what they had.

If what I'm reading from a lot of basic account holders is true  then they spend alot of money here. Its not easy to just pack up and leave all that behind. Meanwhile there are premium members who are also upset with the changes and they have reverted to basic. 

Lets all ride this out things may change but Im not holding my breath.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ananoelle said:

I beg to differ.

In regards to Selenes comment about IF they do away with  basic and then your reply.

There's one thing sl has over similar platforms. People are emotionally invested. Invested into their avatars/relationships and lifestyle here. They may leave for a bit but will probably return over missing what they had.

If what I'm reading from a lot of basic account holders is true  then they spend alot of money here. Its not easy to just pack up and leave all that behind. Meanwhile there are premium members who are also upset with the changes and they have reverted to basic. 

Lets all ride this out things may change but Im not holding my breath.

Over the years I have amassed several thousand dollars of inventory. However if they decided I now had to be a subscriber I would easily walk away just as I have from other places that I had been for years that changed things radically in a way I didn't like. Reason for that is simple what keeps me here is the friends I have met not inventory items, and a fair chunk of them would walk and I can still keep in touch with them other ways

3 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Over the years I have amassed several thousand dollars of inventory. However if they decided I now had to be a subscriber I would easily walk away just as I have from other places that I had been for years that changed things radically in a way I didn't like. Reason for that is simple what keeps me here is the friends I have met not inventory items, and a fair chunk of them would walk and I can still keep in touch with them other ways

You just explained damn near everyone in sl. I laugh at the people who throw out the 'ive spent this and that' like they are the only ones.

Sl is like a revolving door. 1 leaves and 5 more walk on in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ananoelle said:

Apparently its been on that ride for years yet somehow still a float. Hmmm *me ponders.

yes that wasn't an sl is dying comment but its still true to say concurrency is dropping and new subscriber retention isnt a high percentage

58 minutes ago, ananoelle said:

You just explained damn near everyone in sl. I laugh at the people who throw out the 'ive spent this and that' like they are the only ones.

Sl is like a revolving door. 1 leaves and 5 more walk on in. 

To the 5 more that walk in, are those freshly spawned noobs or alts?! haha (JK!) ;)

5 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Lets imagine ways this could be worse.

Ohh, I know .. Basic accounts only get 2000 inventory items and have to use telehubs.

:D

annnnd the teleport to the telehub pauses for 8 seconds while you get a video of Ebbe Linden telling you how even more awesome SL can be, without having to watch/listen to him telling you how awesome it can be. Just by click the premium subscribe button

• Haha 3

My problem with this came in an email I got earlier today that somewhat rattled my cage and put the "doubt" of the rumors being true to rest, in face I fear their truth now. In an email I got from Sansar grid today it seems alot like your catering to them and stabbing the Second Life community to make up for the "perks" Sansar grid is getting. Your giving them freedom to purchase and gift Sansar dollars WITHOUT additional charges so basically they are buying money free and you charge us to buy Lindens? And I Quote "No more transaction fees. Starting today, you can gift and tip Sansar Dollars without any additional charges.
". You hike our premiums up from 72.00 to 99.00 to give Sansar free Sansar dollar purchases (there are a couple of other new perks but I dont know what they are, Sansar wasnt my cup of tea)? This isn't fair!! Why should this grid have to make up the differences for them?? We shouldn't. The rumors have been flying since Sansar became a living thing on the web that it was to be a replacement for Second Life which with the new prices and implements it would seem the rumors are somewhat true. If you create a new world then they should be responsible for their grid and we shouldnt be forced to have higher pricing on our grid to make up their differences. Sansar should be subject to fees, membership as well as changes like what this grid faces verses us paying to cover the slack for that grid. Its just wrong, period. Shakes head in disgust.

I'm a premium member have been for some time and I disagree with the former implements on the groups as they are lucrative for businesses and customers alike but my problem is jacking the price up from 72.00 to 99.00 and the above mentioned email I got, it all make sense now.

Edited by VioletCrush Bravin
wished to clearify that I wasnt a free account holder as it seems to be the objective in comments
  • Like 1

At the new cost of approximately 10 movie tickets per premium account per year, I will be downgrading my alt. I am currently paying for yearly premium accounts for family members and their alts, we are now planning on downgrading to basic for all accounts except 2.

For the extra $27USD/year you want to charge me you have given me no benefits or reasons to value premium higher than before. Why bother paying for premium when even in tickets I am lied to outright.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 12:30 AM, kathyparnes1 said:

Did anyone notice that full regions are reduced 20 usd? This offsets the cost of membership from 72 to 99 usd lol

It isn't really the same thing but yes, the two are related in one way.

It's not the same thing because you don't have to be a premium member to own a private region. Those two parts of the SL economy are kept completely separate from each other.

The two are related because what happens is that LL is shifting the cost from one group of users to another. This is something they've been talking about for a long time. They want to cut down the land prices and increase their income from other revenue streams to compensate. The recent changes is only the latest (but by no means the last) step in that process.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 3

I miss the days when they sold half-price quarterly memberships every other month.  One could get a couple of alts pool tier in a group, and live well and get paid for it.  Kind of like the old Charter Member accounts, except one had to keep working at it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.