What's the reason for max of 5 home abandons allowed in 24 hrs?

Evangeline Arcadia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

39 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

suppose we do the math tho

say there are 2000 houses. Say there are 500 that we consider desirable. 1500 that we consider undesirable.  Desirable/undesirable is subjective to each person but lets go with 500:2000. Simplified this is 1:4

1st roll:  Our chances of getting a desirable property is 500 in 2000 or 1 in 4. We hit on the 1st roll, so stop and happy
2nd roll:  same odds. 500 in 2000 or 1:4. We hit, we stop
3rd, 4th, 5th roll.  same odds again. 1:4, Hit and stop

what is the probability of not getting one of the 500 desirable properties in 5 rolls ?

3/4 * 3/4 * 3/4 * 3/4 * 3/4  = 243/1024 = 23.7%

We have a 76.3% probability of getting one of the 500 desirable properties within 5 rolls. Within 10 rolls our probability to get a desirable house is 94.3%

that we have this probability is no guarantee that we ourselves will get a desirable house. What is guaranteed is that somebody will

Ooooh, I like this. Probability is so much more fun when it's applied to something "real". I actually wish we had true numbers to play with. Of course, there's still the issue of the definition of "undesirable", but we can get around that by deciding for example - and it's somewhat arbitrary - that "desirable" means "by the water". Or "with a view". Or... whatever. I would imaginethat the probability of getting a house/boat with those criteria will dwindle faster than the probability of getting a house/boat in an area that's more surrounded by other houses/ boats. But that may be because of my own preferences...

6 minutes ago, Arquet said:

Ooooh, I like this. Probability is so much more fun when it's applied to something "real". I actually wish we had true numbers to play with. Of course, there's still the issue of the definition of "undesirable", but we can get around that by deciding for example - and it's somewhat arbitrary - that "desirable" means "by the water". Or "with a view". Or... whatever. I would imaginethat the probability of getting a house/boat with those criteria will dwindle faster than the probability of getting a house/boat in an area that's more surrounded by other houses/ boats. But that may be because of my own preferences...

yes. Math is fun :)

and yes desirable/undesirable is pretty subjective. The cool thing tho about this form of probability math is that we can assign our subjective value and get some probability of the whole available at any given time

i just add on here

the OP asked why are we limited to 5 rolls a day.  Somebody Linden knows how to do this kinda math. So they worked out that 5 a day would be about right as a braking mechanism. They very probably looked at 3, 4, 5, 6 or 10 even. And went with 5

• Moles

The answer is:

It is a legacy feature that was added when the first Linden Homes were launched way back in the day. People were indeed abandoning and trying again over and over to get a specific house in a specific location. The practice was overloading the system, so the 5 times per 24 hours limitation was implemented.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 11

3 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

The answer is:

It is a legacy feature that was added when the first Linden Homes were launched way back in the day. People were indeed abandoning and trying again over and over to get a specific house in a specific location. The practice was overloading the system, so the 5 times per 24 hours limitation was implemented.

Thank you Abnor!:)

I’ve been bouncing my alt around the old Linden houses to keep myself amused, while I hope for a houseboat at some point. Ironically I’ve been getting some great places along the water or region edges. One time, I even got a place I’d just abandoned back. I guess it’s good I’m limited to 5 abandonments a day. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.