What's the reason for max of 5 home abandons allowed in 24 hrs?

Evangeline Arcadia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was just wondering what the reasoning is behind the policy for only allowing residents to abandon and get a different LL home within 24 hrs?

Is it some kind of server load issue, or something else? Will this be the case going forward with the new themes that will be introduced?

Maybe with the new themes coming it's not such an issue regarding styles as you can rezz whichever style you choose within the theme (fantastic new feature), although people might want to abandon to get a different theme in the future when they are finally all available.  For the first gen Meadowbrook  theme it would have been nice to be able to abandon until you found the one that you really like. I know it won't be an issue in the future as LL are getting rid of them.

Any ideas?

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^ A good question!

Maybe server load, yes; but I'm more thinking of them wanting to hang onto the notion of random allotment. Which is to say, you can't pick a spot (only a theme, and type). And, reasoned from that rationale, switching homes endlessly, until you found the right location, would de facto be just that: picking a spot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

^^ A good question!

Maybe server load, yes; but I'm more thinking of them wanting to hang onto the notion of random allotment. Which is to say, you can't pick a spot (only a theme, and type). And, reasoned from that rationale, switching homes endlessly, until you found the right location, would de facto be just that: picking a spot.

Hi Kiramanell, maybe. I can't see what would be so bad about that, and you can do that anyway,  but over a longer period i.e. by waiting 24hrs then going through 5 homes again. You could do that for a week or two till you find a home you really like better than the others you've seen. So eventually you will pick your spot.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you are correct, then why the 24hr rule if you are gonna get your spot eventually anyway? I'm inclined to think there's another reason (no idea what though).

• Like 1

What would be so 'bad' about is, is probably that ppl would deem it unfair. Currently no one cares about these old homes any more, but, at one time, they were very much in grace, of course. Look at the current houseboat situation: peeps are already upset for not being able to get one; now image the forum-rage, if those who came first, could also have snagged up the best spots too!

Yes, you can still do it, but limiting to only 5x per day, mitigates the effect thereof. Which is what they want, of course: they don't want to outright forbid switching spots per se (as sometimes there are simply good reasons to, beyond aesthetics, like lag, griefing neighbors, etc). They simply want to discourage the practice as a means of a makeshift plot-picker. And a limit of 5x per day will do precisely that.

• Like 1

Some maxed out the chances of their favourite spot by using their alts, getting five choices per alt per day (not me, my poor alt is languishing in a mud pool somewhere!)

Not sure if you have managed to snag a home yet @EvangalineArkayda but many have reported that they've been surprised at how much they've loved their randomly allocated spot.

• Like 1

First off...can I ask, why are u even considering changing homes 5x a day? Are you talking about the new linden homes/houseboats?  Are you that picky of location?  There are so many ppl hoping just to be lucky enough to own one.  Or are you talking about the old homes that everyone is giving up?  I'm sure you are talking about location, since you know that you can change the style of the houseboats.  I'm still confused by this question...it seem's none important...Be lucky to have anything!

11 minutes ago, Zoriania said:

First off...can I ask, why are u even considering changing homes 5x a day? Are you talking about the new linden homes/houseboats?  Are you that picky of location?  There are so many ppl hoping just to be lucky enough to own one.  Or are you talking about the old homes that everyone is giving up?  I'm sure you are talking about location, since you know that you can change the style of the houseboats.  I'm still confused by this question...it seem's none important...Be lucky to have anything!

I don't think you read my post properly. If you look at it you'll see I said "I was just wondering...." Perfectly innocent question based on curiosity. Is that not allowed? I never said I was personally changing 5 homes a day. And so what if I was???

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Zoriania said:

I think the OP's question is valid regarding the POLICY of the restrictions. Regarding personal choice of location, we're all entitled to pick and choose and change our minds. While there are some that dearly want a house there are also those (many in fact) that have a house or houseboat and do nothing with them, either at ground level or in the sky, and that too is their prerogative.

I'll admit I've even considered changing my location too for something closer to the beach but with demand so high and spaces limited I haven't. Back when the first houses were released I did take a gamble; 9 times in fact. And just got the one I have now before they all ran out. But the notion I even want to change location doesn't make me wrong or even greedy; it's freedom of choice. And that's something all of us are entitled to.

• Like 6

Bear in mind that it can take a few minutes to several hours (I have seen it take 16 and a half hours on one abandoned parcel) before an abandoned parcel is back in the system to be used again. If a large number of people are wanting to ‘re-roll’ to get a parcel more to their liking, you will get a huge number of parcels that are then taken out of circulation for several hours. That’s not going to go down well with people just wanting to be able to claim their ‘starter home’ regardless of location.

It has never been stated as to why it takes various times for land to be available again. Maybe it has to done manually, and to have the number of re-rolls unlimited would just create more and more work for those that have to do it.

Frankly, I find the idea that anyone would want to re-roll more than a couple of times disappointing. But people will always be looking to exploit a system to their own advantage as far as they can, and putting a limit upon it is the only way to keep control.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Walpurgisnacht said:

Bear in mind that it can take a few minutes to several hours (I have seen it take 16 and a half hours on one abandoned parcel) before an abandoned parcel is back in the system to be used again. If a large number of people are wanting to ‘re-roll’ to get a parcel more to their liking, you will get a huge number of parcels that are then taken out of circulation for several hours. That’s not going to go down well with people just wanting to be able to claim their ‘starter home’ regardless of location.

It has never been stated as to why it takes various times for land to be available again. Maybe it has to done manually, and to have the number of re-rolls unlimited would just create more and more work for those that have to do it.

Thanks very much, that makes a lot of sense! ☺️

• Like 1

I think the homes would appear much more promptly when released in the beginning? I did wonder if random delays were added to stop exploitation, ie people 'selling' their plots by abandoning at an agreed time in exchange for cash.

edit: of course it could be that the delays are just a symptom of a system under stress due to demand.

Edited by Raspberry Crystal
afterthought

I don't care if you want to change it 5x a day...i'm saying this simply because of the time it's being asked...when it's in such high demand.  I am asking the question, THINKING of the people who never had a chance to get a house or a houseboat.  I don't care if you do it 5x a day...i'm happy with what I got and i feel lucky to get anything....that's all.  I never said anyone was wrong, if you all are taking it that way, maybe it's your own guilt...not mines.  

when the old Linden Homes were released then there was as much interest in them as there is now in the new Linden Homes. So much interest at the time that LL cloned the continent

LL knew that had they allowed people to pick their own houses then the first movers would have taken (cherry picked) all the water and park edge parcels, leaving the later movers with only the internal region parcels.  So LL went with the random allocation method to try to ameliorate the early mover cherry picking. Then knowing that residents could abandon the parcels then LL decided on 5 per day to act as brake

this cherry picking by abandonment also happened with the new homes. Specially over the first 3 days of the initial release date, due to not many people at that time knowing the homes were available

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

when the old Linden Homes were released then there was as much interest in them as there is now in the new Linden Homes. So much interest at the time that LL cloned the continent

LL knew that had they allowed people to pick their own houses then the first movers would have taken (cherry picked) all the water and park edge parcels, leaving the later movers with only the internal region parcels.

Thanks Mollymews. I didn't think the 'cherry picking' was possible in that sense i.e. I always thought that what you got was just random. So maybe if you did want a particular location, for example with the new theme a waterfront,  there's no guarantee that it would come up in your first few tries, you might get more inland a few times. So someone might have to keep abandoning till they got something they were reasonably happy with. A couple of years ago when I wanted to change my Meadowbrook home I abandoned a few times because I didn't like the positioning of the house and the view until I found one that I really liked, and then stuck with that. But the choices I was offered seemed really random.

But I don't know how LL roll out their houses. Maybe it's always been in some kind of order (top to bottom of continent, around the edges first, whatever). If that were the case then maybe that'd be true. Or maybe it's just random. If it's random then the cherry picking in terms of specific location (meaning specific as in water front/inland etc.) wouldn't apply.

I'm inclined to think Walpurgisnacht's explanation is more likely the real reason.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

But I don't know how LL roll out their houses. Maybe it's always been in some kind of order (top to bottom of continent, around the edges first, whatever). If that were the case then maybe that'd be true. Or maybe it's just random. If it's random then the cherry picking in terms of specific location (meaning specific as in water front/inland etc.) wouldn't apply.

When we were watching the new "squashy pickle" houseboat development lots being assigned, it became clear that a group of completely new Linden Home regions were released and filled in the alphabetical order of the region names - i.e. "Arcadia" would be opened first, then "Banana," and "Zoetrope" would be last.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@EvangelineArcadia

yes you are right that a random allocation method doesn't guarantee a preferred result

suppose we do the math tho

say there are 2000 houses. Say there are 500 that we consider desirable. 1500 that we consider undesirable.  Desirable/undesirable is subjective to each person but lets go with 500:2000. Simplified this is 1:4

1st roll:  Our chances of getting a desirable property is 500 in 2000 or 1 in 4. We hit on the 1st roll, so stop and happy
2nd roll:  same odds. 500 in 2000 or 1:4. We hit, we stop
3rd, 4th, 5th roll.  same odds again. 1:4, Hit and stop

what is the probability of not getting one of the 500 desirable properties in 5 rolls ?

3/4 * 3/4 * 3/4 * 3/4 * 3/4  = 243/1024 = 23.7%

We have a 76.3% probability of getting one of the 500 desirable properties within 5 rolls. Within 10 rolls our probability to get a desirable house is 94.3%

that we have this probability is no guarantee that we ourselves will get a desirable house. What is guaranteed is that somebody will

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

When we were watching the new "squashy pickle" houseboat development lots being assigned, it became clear that a group of completely new Linden Home regions were released and filled in the alphabetical order of the region names - i.e. "Arcadia" would be opened first, then "Banana," and "Zoetrope" would be last.

Interesting info, thanks!:)

3 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

@EvangelineArcadia

yes you are right that a random allocation method doesn't guarantee a preferred result

suppose we do the math tho

say there are 2000 houses. Say there are 500 that we consider desirable. 1500 that we consider undesirable.  Desirable/undesirable is subjective to each person but lets go with 500:2000. Simplified this is 1:4

1st roll:  Our chances of getting a desirable property is 500 in 2000 or 1 in 4. We hit on the 1st roll, so stop and happy
2nd roll:  same odds. 500 in 2000 or 1:4. We hit, we stop
3rd, 4th, 5th roll.  same odds again. 1:4, Hit and stop

what is the probability of not getting one of the 500 desirable properties in 5 rolls ?

3/4 * 3/4 * 3/4 * 3/4 * 3/4  = 243/1024 = 23.7%

We have a 76.3% probability of getting one of the 500 desirable properties within 5 rolls. Within 10 rolls our probability to get a desirable house is 94.3%

that we have this probability is no guarantee that we ourselves will get a desirable house. What is guaranteed is that somebody will

Lol, I had a simple question, never expected this kind of deep dive answer! Thanks:) I expect those odds will appeal to anyone looking to get a new theme home they want in the future (some pretty disappointed folks about judging by the forum...)

Just now, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Lol, I had a simple question, never expected this kind of deep dive answer! Thanks:) I expect those odds will appeal to anyone looking to get a new theme home they want in the future (some pretty disappointed folks about judging by the forum...)

there are quite a few people on this forums who do know how this math works. And a lot of then knew how to score themselves some great new Linden Homes locations in those first 3 days

2 minutes ago, stlshayne said:

You go to school in the bay area? My school never went into there being X Linden homes and X of those homes being desirable. 

X is some probability of Y. Y can be anything. Houses, cows, stuff. Math is math 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

X is some probability of Y. Y can be anything. Houses, cows, stuff. Math is math 

Yeah but whats the point of saying there are X homes and X are desirable when you're just pulling those numbers out of thin air?

Just now, stlshayne said:

Yeah but whats the point of saying there are X homes and X are desirable when you're just pulling those numbers out of thin air?

ok. Put some other numbers on it.  There are 2000 traditional houses about. We find them all desirable.  The probability is now 2000:2000 or 1:1

suppose we decide that what is desirable is a traditional house on the west coast of the continent with no other parcel including houseboats between the parcel and the ocean.  X is the number of those parcels. Y is the total number of traditional houses

whats our probability of getting one within 5 rolls ? POW(Y, 5) - (X/Y * X/Y * X/Y * X/Y * X/Y)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.