Best lobby you've ever been to? (RL or SL)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Great minds think alike I guess!

Sorry while I think I have been to the Hyatt in Chicago, I was thinking of the one in 

SAN FRANCISCO!!!!

There is an impressive bar further in the foreground out of the picture. Impressive elevators. When I was there -- more plants dangling down. 

hyat_01_.jpg

• Like 3

That's a John Portman design. He did several like that in the 1960s.

The trouble with doing a skyscraper in SL is that you run out of prims and get a shell building. The best tall building I ever saw in SL is the SYZM Tower in Northbridge.syzmtowerupperlobby.thumb.jpg.95bd87c33fabf60af9b9bd179e0be8d2.jpg 14 useful floors.Good attention to detail.

syzmtowerlowerlobby.thumb.jpg.9711257137f9bf3285d2e2c1fff8020c.jpg

Lower lobby with retail.

This is the headquarters of the SYZM conglomerate,  major sellers of modern roleplay equipment in SL. Police cars, phone systems, work vehicles, office equipment - they have it all, and they have a big mall nearby where it's sold. The building has elevators and many furnished offices.

Edited by animats
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, animats said:

That's a John Portman design. He did several like that in the 1960s.

The trouble with doing a skyscraper in SL is that you run out of prims and get a shell building. The best tall building I ever saw in SL is the SYZM Tower in Northbridge.syzmtowerupperlobby.thumb.jpg.95bd87c33fabf60af9b9bd179e0be8d2.jpg 14 useful floors.Good attention to detail.

syzmtowerlowerlobby.thumb.jpg.9711257137f9bf3285d2e2c1fff8020c.jpg

Lower lobby with retail.

This is the headquarters of the SYZM conglomerate,  major sellers of modern roleplay equipment in SL. Police cars, phone systems, work vehicles, office equipment - they have it all, and they have a big mall nearby where it's sold. The building has elevators and many furnished offices.

Brutalism for the win!

This is too much like visiting a banking headquarters or law firm. Neither of which, personally, fills me with warm fuzzies.

• Like 1

Here's a pic of Frank Gehry's remake of the Eaton Court, which is the main lobby of the Art Gallery of Ontario. Gehry redid much of the building, adding beautifully warm wood everywhere, twisted into sensual curves and spirals. His renovations are themselves art worthy of visiting the gallery to see.

1958380007_GehryAGOEatonCourt-Blank.thumb.jpg.32dea4405695dae1ecc8488fe7514af9.jpg

And here is the Galleria Italia that runs along the front of the building. From the outside, it looks like a billowing sail.

296035033_GehryAGOGalleriaItalia-Blank.jpg.4598f8c2d31a33cd8f27a7941fa99e21.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That's gorgeous.  Is it in SL?  If so, does it use the "mirror build under the floor" trick to get the reflections?

It is gorgeous,  but it's RL. The reflections in the floor aren't straight, indicating that the floor isn't perfectly flat. I remember being so very impressed the first time I stumbled across the "mirror build under the floor" trick, and using it to make a shiny floor for a skybox.

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

It is gorgeous,  but it's RL. The reflections in the floor aren't straight, indicating that the floor isn't perfectly flat. I remember being so very impressed the first time I stumbled across the "mirror build under the floor" trick, and using it to make a shiny floor for a skybox.

Drat.  I had visions of re-doing the Masocado Towers lobby like it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.