Looking for Applier and Bento Head for "Mature" and Slightly Cranky White Male

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I have a male friend who is an oldster and pretty well acquainted with how things, including mesh and appliers, work in SL, but who is convinced that there are no decent skins for "mature" men available for male Bento heads. As a result, he refuses to upgrade from an old static mesh head, although he would if he could find an applier he liked. And really, he does need to upgrade, because he's currently got this sort of frozen, perpetually "I'm not amused by your shenanigans" look on his face. Honestly, it's too much. He needs help.

The look he has, and wants, is sort of that of a slightly grizzled balding guy in mid-50s or so, with a grey or salt-and-pepper goatee. He himself has pointed to how Billy Joel looks nowadays. I wouldn't know Billy Joel if he fell into my lap (except "The Piano Man," which is an ok song, I guess, but a bit too angsty. I mean, for god's sake, just find a better bar with happier people in it!), but I googled and came up with this:

1942050813_BillyJoelBlank.thumb.jpg.40b9e1dab2adfe67f99a22a2bb0ca38e.jpg

To be clear, though, he's not trying to look like Billy Joel. This will just give you an idea of what he wants.

I know absolutely nothing about what's available in the way of Bento heads and skins for men, but I do know that I've seen some very nice "older" looks on male Bento heads I've seen around, so I'm convinced that, with a bit of help from you, he can find something he likes, and we can all as a result be treated to a more varying and dynamic range of "Hey you kids get off my lawn" facial expressions.

Thank you.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Correction: He currently has a mesh, NOT a Bento head

Try Session skins. Though I'm not sure what brands they apply on for male skins (Omega, or maybe just a brand) but the do have some very nice natural looking "aged" skins. Also have a nice freebie skin that might fit your description.

Session is the best choice for older male skins. They have several, mostly for Catwa I believe, I seem to recall there may be a few for Lelutka now also.

I haven't seen others that are quite as good.  

Birth has some also, not quite as aged but rugged looking and not your usual young boy look.

Edited by Elora Lunasea

6 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Try Session skins. Though I'm not sure what brands they apply on for male skins (Omega, or maybe just a brand) but the do have some very nice natural looking "aged" skins. Also have a nice freebie skin that might fit your description.

1 hour ago, Elora Lunasea said:

Session is the best choice for older male skins. They have several, mostly for Catwa I believe, I seem to recall there may be a few for Lelutka now also.

I haven't seen others that are quite as good.  

Birth has some also, not quite as aged but rugged looking and not your usual young boy look.

Thank you both! I did find Session doing a cursory MP search yesterday, and they look pretty good; it's good to hear your recommendations of them as well! I'll also pass on the Birth suggestion.

• Like 1

FYI look at this person's flickr. I think he might rep for Session skins. so much of his stream is of people wearing them. You'll see how versatile these skins are - show it to your friend. So many older looking very attractive male avatars there. He (she? I'm not sure to be honest) is an extremely talented photographer to boot. I'm in awe of the photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cicciuzzo_gausman/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I got the "Hades" skin by Birth, because it was more mature, and I actually stopped wearing it because my girlfriend said it made me look permanently cranky.

Personally, I think it made me look a bit like Sting.

hades.png.a79e05ae82932d66d30a3c9a70220a54.png

Your girlfriend is . . . wrong. (She said diplomatically.) This looks great on you!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Vanity Fair said:

You could try the Altamura Marcus full-body male mesh avatar, which comes in three different ages. It is no longer available as a L$343 deal but it still might be exactly what you are looking for:

https://ryanschultz.com/2019/03/09/second-life-steals-deals-and-freebies-get-the-altamura-marcus-full-body-male-mesh-avatar-for-only-l343/

Marcus-4-9-March-2019.png

Oh, thanks! I'll pass this on to him. It IS pretty close to what I think he's looking for!

Maybe not enough cranky, but the Man Cave event has a skin that's looking quite like Jaimie Lannister, the older one we've seen since he got a beard. It's the Stray Dog skin brand that's offering it. It has a distinct nose shading like Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, and it's probably going to follow the nose no matter how the width and bulbous sliders is tweaked.

I post it here in case someone search for a bit mature skin,  you could of course give him a more dour mouth and/or angrier brows with the sliders.

He is very handsome for a 48 year old man, in my opinion.

Edited by Marianne Little
typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It has a distinct nose shading like Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, and it's probably going to follow the nose no matter how the width and bulbous sliders is tweaked.

This is how I ended up tweaking my nose with the aforementioned skin :

tomglasses.thumb.jpg.c952a7114af0d5dba4e3141477517004.jpg

Not too Coster-Waldau'ish I hope, but guess I'm not grumpy enough to satisfy the TS' requests though.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TomWes said:

This is how I ended up tweaking my nose with the aforementioned skin :

tomglasses.thumb.jpg.c952a7114af0d5dba4e3141477517004.jpg

Not too Coster-Waldau'ish I hope, but guess I'm not grumpy enough to satisfy the TS' requests though.

This is a really lovely look. And not at ALL grumpy! (Which is, to my mind, not a bad thing at all, but hey, it's not my avatar, right?)

More to the point, however, it is too young looking, I think. He wants to look old. Like, ancient. You know, sort of "I am the cranky Crypt Keeper" stuff.

But I've passed this on to him! Thank you!

21 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is a really lovely look. And not at ALL grumpy! (Which is, to my mind, not a bad thing at all, but hey, it's not my avatar, right?)

More to the point, however, it is too young looking, I think. He wants to look old. Like, ancient. You know, sort of "I am the cranky Crypt Keeper" stuff.

But I've passed this on to him! Thank you!

You said mid-fifties in your opening post! Ancient?!

Fifty is the new thirty!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I don't suppose any of these are available for LeLutka or even as Omega?  It seems like it is Catwa or nothing when I was looking for my male alt.

One of the problems my friend has is that the Session skins don't haven an Omega option for Slink.

4 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I don't suppose any of these are available for LeLutka or even as Omega?  It seems like it is Catwa or nothing when I was looking for my male alt.

Session has head skin for Lelutka Guy called Axel. But none for Lelutka Andrea or Omega sadly.

Edited by elixdude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

I have the Axel for my male alt. It's fairly older looking, rugged. With a gray toned hair it does come off looking older and the facial appearance is somewhat stubborn/annoyed looking. Plus, it's very good quality.

Thanks Elora! Will pass this along to Cranky Older Guy.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.