You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, OlliesOrbit said:

I recently downloaded the firestorm viewer with the Open Sim add-on option since I  just  started learning mesh creation and I wanted to test out a shirt before uploading it. The issue is everytime I try to access (what I assume is) the Open Sim grid, I crash.

It's the one named OSGrid. There are a lot of other different grids available that also crash whenever I try to access them. All except Second life and the Second life beta grid.

I honestly have no idea why this is happening. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it again but still no luck.

Your issue is not Second Life related, so the Second Life forums is not really the appropriate forum.  

Have you created an Open Sim account on any of the open sim worlds (you can't use your SL account in an Open Sim world)?  If you have, then you will have a good region address for logging into, a valid account for that location, and depending on the world that you choose, perhaps a forum specific to that area to help with issues that you might encounter in that Open Sim area.    You might also want to look into how to have your own Open Sim region on your own computer (again, not a topic for the SL forums). 

Well first off, Second Life is NOT opensim.   You need a ACCOUNT fore EACH Opensim grid you want to access. Your SL account means nothing in Opensim. So pick a grid and make an account and go from there. 

AND you will be much better off on the Second Life beta grid than in Opensim as the rules are very different in many cases and depend on the software each grid is using. 

I suggest Kitely if you really want to do this.  Go to the Kitely page and make and account and then log into the merchant sandbox. But really I am not getting why you want to test in Opensim.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, OlliesOrbit said:

oh okay I'll try that.

And I read on the forums somehwere that Open sim is a good place to test stuff out. Is that not the case? I'm so confused now in regards to that, but I guess I'll try the beta grid. 

Second Life has it's own test grid, as new account you only have to send a support ticket to get acces, but of course you can use OS for it too... but thats not running on the same software as SL (OS is divided in many places where you can subscribe, all seperate and different, most connected by hypergrid protocol, not connected to SL)

Just to be fair to the OP (you can still read the OP in the replies of course) there is PLENTY of mis-information out there about making mesh. Some folks sound terrifically smart but are leading folks far astray. So it is easy to be confused. Hopefully things are more clear now and others wondering about testing in Opensim will have some feedback. SOME things can be tested, like textures, but anything to do with physics (like houses) needs to be tested in Second Life. 

Since the SL beta grid is ALSO free (presumably the reason someone recommended Opensim) it is certainly the best choice IMO.

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

Ollie,

First you need to be sure you have properly "aimed" FS at the OS grid of your choice.

https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/preferences_opensim_tab?s[]=opensim

Second, if you want to be able to do preliminary testing (the final test being in SL itself) you can install your own little grid on your pc.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page

It may look complicated but they really aren't hard to set up.

Please note: The Firestorm support team does not provide support for the OS version of FS. You will need to utilize the OS community for help.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Ollie,

First you need to be sure you have properly "aimed" FS at the OS grid of your choice.

https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/preferences_opensim_tab?s[]=opensim

Second, if you want to be able to do preliminary testing (the final test being in SL itself) you can install your own little grid on your pc.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page

It may look complicated but they really aren't hard to set up.

Please note: The Firestorm support team does not provide support for the OS version of FS. You will need to utilize the OS community for help.

okay thanks for your reply I will try that :) 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.