What do you use your alts for?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/15/2019 at 3:04 AM, Heathernorton said:

actually I have 2 "alts" , One was my boatholder which i originally made to would sit on my boat when i dive etc. I recently made her premium to get me a house boat, so look at that.. she's still a boatholder! 💡!!

(snip).........................Neither one of them are really "alts". which to me is an "alternate identity" they are more like "tools". (there is a joke there somewhere, I'll just let you find it on your own)

😎

I think this is the closest to what my alts is for me. One started as a "tool" for roleplay, to have another character, but he was never a real alternate identity. More a problem solver.

The second: vanity variation. I don't want to change Marianne too much, so when I want a different look, I dust off one of them. I take photos with them. I wanted each to have a different look, but they aren't really more than a pretty figure.

I shudder when I think of the money I spent on them. I had more money before. If I stared to create alts now, they would probably be outfitted with freebies and good offers.

Third, land holders. That was when the free tier land was increased to 1024m. They got upgraded to premium.

Now, the ones left are Linden home hunters. I can use them to fish for interesting and better plots in Bellisseria. I have downgraded the most of them, but I don't need many homes. I can abandon homes and look for new ones, then abandon my land if the alt get a better spot. When a third homes option comes, I can send out an alt for them. I have one ready.

And I don't feel bad for it. I have paid, and I have installed auto refresh of the homes page. Anyone can do it, there are some homes abandoned every day.

Edited to add: I posted the last about homes to show the progress, from roleplay problem solvers (Rescue me!) to vanity outlets and photo models to land fixers. I never feel like they had their own personality, just different looks.

Edited by Marianne Little

On 6/13/2019 at 7:50 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

I didn't say it was required or mandatory. Wasn't implying it either. Just the fact that people are finding it necessary is a glaring error on LL's part to go along with the hundreds of glaring errors LL has committed over the past 16 years.

I think that can be said about a lot of LL decisions. It is not required or mandatory to have a mesh body or head, if LL had listened to the residents begging them to upgrade a 16 year old default avatar.

It is probably more reasons, invisiprims and megaprims comes to my mind. LL did the upgrades after years of waiting, so it isn't necessary anymore, but the invisiprims and megaprims was not mandatory then. One could use 10 x 10 prims instead of megaprims.

So residents get tired of LL refusal to give them what they want, and make a workaround. It should not be necessary, but that's the nature and history of LL.

Installing an auto-refresh feels like the last in workarounds, and not new.

Just my thoughts. Sorry for replying late. I am not well these days, a summer flu that lasts and lasts. I drop reading threads.

Testing perms?  Buying land?  wth  I use my female avatars for the most basic of things:  Sex  My male avatar is just a handsome and funny guy who goes dancing with the ladies or hangs at a gay beach and enjoys the scenery.  And I must say they're all fashionable though Wil has a hankering for the color pink.  Butch he's not.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed there's a bit of a stigma with alts? What's with that?

I get this impression from people's conversations, group chats etc. Things said about them include:

"This is how you spot an alt, if there's no payment info in their profile but they're all meshed out" ... um.. is there a reason why do we need to spot an alt?
"Pfft clearly an alt"
"< insert name > accused me of being an alt"

Why are all these people getting so upset about others having another account?

13 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

Alt's were hugely distrusted and considered cheating ( and perhaps still are by some ) for the high amount of griefing that was done with them inworld and in these forums.

That was a time when people did not consider the possibility that users could hold several accounts. The genuine need for them however rose as well to a state were many just use them as an alternative rather than a way to hide their own (i.e. main ) identities.

That said I still have had no use for one and still don't  which is my own personal opinion of course.

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 1

Just now, AdminGirl said:

I get this impression from people's conversations, group chats etc. Things said about them include:

"This is how you spot an alt, if there's no payment info in their profile but they're all meshed out" ... um.. is there a reason why do we need to spot an alt?
"Pfft clearly an alt"
"< insert name > accused me of being an alt"

Hey, i am an alt. I was born as a joke with a silly name (Ama Alter = I'M AN ALTER) but got alive, and got my own life. And i got all the fun in the world. ( i usually go to places my main will not even know they exists). I used to have same friends with my main but they was so boring.In fact , i get out when the brain of the person behind the keyboard goes to holiday.

Can you blame me for that?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ama Alter said:

Hey, i am an alt. I was born as a joke with a silly name (Ama Alter = I'M AN ALTER) but got alive, and got my own life. And i got all the fun in the world. ( i usually go to places my main will not even know they exists). I used to have same friends with my main but they was so boring.In fact , i get out when the brain of the person behind the keyboard goes to holiday.

Are you joking? I can't tell 🤨

5 minutes ago, Ama Alter said:

I don't blame you at all for that!

I discovered that I enjoy making alts, and I enjoy being those alts more than I should. I don't use them for making mischief and they have their own friends, and share a few.

My newest alt is really developing so much that there's a risk she could become my main. Not sure I can allow that!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

Lol why not?

Do people ever have more than 1 main? If that even makes sense

Maybe alt is too vague a term. Thing is, I'm the "me" here and my sisters don't otherwise exist. So in that respect the first me with payment details will always be Queen B.

What I do find hard is remembering which me intracted with which person here, although my sister alt thing is noted in our profiles, so I make sure people know that from the start.

1 hour ago, BelindaN said:

Maybe alt is too vague a term. Thing is, I'm the "me" here and my sisters don't otherwise exist. So in that respect the first me with payment details will always be Queen B.

What I do find hard is remembering which me intracted with which person here, although my sister alt thing is noted in our profiles, so I make sure people know that from the start.

Ohhh hehehe I can see how that can be confusing but I think the account I joined on will always feel like my original as well :)

2 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

Lol why not?

Do people ever have more than 1 main? If that even makes sense

it totally depends... officially alts aren't around anymore since LL lifted the payment for it. Every account is on its own.
Only the use often is one main and others have a function for business or not being disturbed, and of course in cases of cheaters and griefers "alts'"  have a function.
For me there's not often een main one they all are "me" and most even look quite the same.. i  always seem to end with a simular look for them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

Well... for me, I had a couple nasty experiences with men that I either wasn't interested in, or had broken things off with, coming back as alts for another go at me. It destroyed my trust and now I look at the alt game with great suspicion as to the motives behind the need to create an alt, and what it's going to be used to do. 

Saying that, though, Beth Macbain is technically an alt but I ditched my original avi right after I created her. I wanted to use my RL first name instead of pretending to be someone I'm not. I do have one alt that I'll be bumping up to premium when the LH trailers are released. Her name is theotherbethmacbain.resident so no one thinks I'm up to no good. 😜

• Like 1

My poor alts are so neglected that I don’t use them for anything. Two of them I haven’t logged on in probably 8 years, and the other I upgraded to mesh, but wish I’d gone with a different head and body. I spend so much money on my main that I don’t really want to ‘waste’ any on my alts. They do have pretty great first and last name combos though, so maybe I should upgrade. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Shouldn't that be Queen A with alts being Queen B, C, D etc? ;)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Eva Knoller said:

My poor alts are so neglected that I don’t use them for anything. Two of them I haven’t logged on in probably 8 years, and the other I upgraded to mesh, but wish I’d gone with a different head and body. I spend so much money on my main that I don’t really want to ‘waste’ any on my alts. They do have pretty great first and last name combos though, so maybe I should upgrade. 

Just yes.…….do it and reap all the fun they bring!

• Like 1

I do have few alternate accounts, yes - I used to role play with them in several groups - Star Trek, post-apocalyptic, superheroes etc. I just don't feel fine playing a single account which just changes its appearances in order to "fit" a given RP, the immersion is just not there for me. Nowadays however I barely have time to use my main account, so my alts wait for better times. I like to imagine that when I log off they're transported to alternate dimension, where they live on their own, a bit like in the old ReBoot cartoon. :P

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ama Alter said:

I started out as an alt as well.  My main retired in 2012.  Now I have alts, about 2 dozen, for all different kinds of reasons. Most of them rarely log on.  Sometimes i will log my old main in to look for stuff in her inventory that I vaguely remember owning.  My music alt gets on quite often to search for good music streams while I'm working. The rest haven't been on much since I got bored with Tiny Empires.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

What about the alts of the alt's alts and their alts? Don't they deserve a little recognition, too? :| ...

lol.gif.98d5d29820183d241e83579ae58da954.gif

• Show us your alt - thread ?
  • Show us your alt's alt - thread ?
  • Etc ?
Edited by TDD123

Unless created for a very specific purpose - like running a money tree's wallet or running a store account - I actually do not see why people would openly admit who their alts are or what they actually do once incognito. I'd rather take the info given here with a grain of salt - both on why folks have alts and how many.

17 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Unless created for a very specific purpose - like running a money tree's wallet or running a store account - I actually do not see why people would openly admit who their alts are or what they actually do once incognito. I'd rather take the info given here with a grain of salt - both on why folks have alts and how many.

I've never specifically said here in the forums WHO any of my alts are, but I have admitted to having them.   I don't see any reason to not admit that I created some alts specifically for testing certain things in SL or to make Premium so they could donate their tier to my land group.  I don't do any role playing and for the most part, my alts seldom get to even log in.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.