How to learn?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. Starting again SL after a break, I notice that many avatar have a marketplace, a shop, a business and are creator.

I consider 2 types of users. Consumers and producer. I was untill now consumers. I use SL only. All other type of users was for me mistery. How can we create something in SL. I know than SL is created by user. In theory yes but in my mind no. I cannot. It is not created by me. But when I see on bio. It is like I am an exeption.  Of course bio is not 100% the true and as SL is a role play you can pretend to do something.

I need to learn the vocabulary of SL : I hear many strange word I still have difficulty to understand like

- In world

- SIM

- PRIM

- REZ

etc...

when I want to learn I am lost because I find lot of very old information (SL is more than 15 year old) and it is not pedagogic. I mean I find information I know (How to move, how to wear cloth etc.) or information I don't know but my level of understanding is too hard for me. where can I find something step by step from the begining. I am feeling that every body have a SIM, a shop a club are DJ create event and cloth and more and I am the only one who are doing nothing. How all these people learn doing all that. I know http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Main_Page

But it is not a step by step pedagogical ressources. Yes it is better than nothing.

I am sure I am not sure to express correctly my need because my english is not good

- Tutorial step by step with not too deep learning curve.

- How to create things

- Scripting

I need not only technical ressource but also social understanding. Secondlife have his own culture. When you are in it you don't realise it. For exemple I see avatar talking about family. Father, sister, daughter, children etc.. family How to understand that. Avatar role play . What is the different type of play. What can we do? What kind of population etc...

I know this is a very genaral question. But if I can have an easy ressource I can understand. A guide a step by step a way to follow. Alone I am searching and lost so much time and loose motivation because I am following too many directions and start again and search again and don't know how to do it. because it is like I am not able or all people understand and not me.

sorry for my bad english. I hope this question or need is clear enough. You still can ask additionals questions if it is not clear enough.

There are in world places for learning, helping haven, Caledon University and builders brewery spring to mind. Take a look around, go to some of their courses. YouTube is searchable for videos.. Torley Linden's are old now but the information and enthusiasm infectious. For building start simple and have fun texturing and linking prims, with that mastered you can then decide if you want to learn scripting, graphics programs, mesh and blender. 

1 hour ago, LeoSylvain said:

when I want to learn I am lost because I find lot of very old information

Just ask, no matter what its about. Ask here in the forum, or ask the people you meet while you are in SL.

Im in SL since 12 years, and until yesterday i didnt even know how to abandon my home parcel, for example. Thats why i asked in the forum how to do it. One hour later i got a precise answer where to go and where to click to have my "problem" solved.

45 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

There are in world places for learning, helping haven, Caledon University and builders brewery spring to mind. Take a look around, go to some of their courses. YouTube is searchable for videos.. Torley Linden's are old now but the information and enthusiasm infectious. For building start simple and have fun texturing and linking prims, with that mastered you can then decide if you want to learn scripting, graphics programs, mesh and blender. 

Maybe my need is to understand the basic vocabulary. Otherwise if you don't know what is 'in word places' is I will not go far. or what is Caledon University or the word brewery spring. That looks like english but it is chinese. I think it is secondlife language. linking prims ? In your text I can count maybe 20 non understandable words.

Youtube yes but I find tutorial : how to move how to use . And I prefer text tutorial is it much more easy for me. I can read slowly. Stop when I want and make copy past. It is very hard to make copy past with youtube video.

I already have blender. But how to link that to secondlife.

Maybe my first goal could be to understand all the or most of important words. If I understand the words, the culture, the system, the sociology   the rest would be easier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeoSylvain said:

Hello. Starting again SL after a break, I notice that many avatar have a marketplace, a shop, a business and are creator.

I consider 2 types of users. Consumers and producer. I was untill now consumers. I use SL only. All other type of users was for me mistery. How can we create something in SL. I know than SL is created by user. In theory yes but in my mind no. I cannot. It is not created by me. But when I see on bio. It is like I am an exeption.  Of course bio is not 100% the true and as SL is a role play you can pretend to do something.

I need to learn the vocabulary of SL : I hear many strange word I still have difficulty to understand like

- In world

- SIM

- PRIM

- REZ

etc...

when I want to learn I am lost because I find lot of very old information (SL is more than 15 year old) and it is not pedagogic. I mean I find information I know (How to move, how to wear cloth etc.) or information I don't know but my level of understanding is too hard for me. where can I find something step by step from the begining. I am feeling that every body have a SIM, a shop a club are DJ create event and cloth and more and I am the only one who are doing nothing. How all these people learn doing all that. I know http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Main_Page

But it is not a step by step pedagogical ressources. Yes it is better than nothing.

I am sure I am not sure to express correctly my need because my english is not good

- Tutorial step by step with not too deep learning curve.

- How to create things

- Scripting

I need not only technical ressource but also social understanding. Secondlife have his own culture. When you are in it you don't realise it. For exemple I see avatar talking about family. Father, sister, daughter, children etc.. family How to understand that. Avatar role play . What is the different type of play. What can we do? What kind of population etc...

I know this is a very genaral question. But if I can have an easy ressource I can understand. A guide a step by step a way to follow. Alone I am searching and lost so much time and loose motivation because I am following too many directions and start again and search again and don't know how to do it. because it is like I am not able or all people understand and not me.

sorry for my bad english. I hope this question or need is clear enough. You still can ask additionals questions if it is not clear enough.

first... forget all i putted a line through, that's way to much as long you have no idea what SL is, and what you want to do, or are able to do. If you jump in all this the same time you will get overwhelmed and a big risk to run into a mountain of difficulties, while you can take the slow rising hills when you take the time for it.
I'd reccomend to look at the knowledgebase, if there are articles available in your own language, it's dry though stuff... but that's what startging in SL is, it's no easy explained board game, many things will come if you spend enough time. Do not go hang out at newbie places, but go to the places as mentioned in the other post.
Type those names in the search box when you are logged in, you'll have made your first steps with that!.
As pre shot :)  in world = in sl (when you are logged in)

and the last line i skipped... you are the one to ask questions :)  we don't know what's on your mind.

My recommendation is to take everything slowly.  SL has a steep learning curve and you cannot learn everything in one day.  You will need to have patience.  This is the first thing i tell friends from other games when i bring them into SL.  (some of them didn't have the patience and never came back, but i don't blame them, since SL's entire avatar system is a confusing mess, but that's another story for a different time ;)).

Start with youtube, but make sure to watch updated videos from at least 2016.  Why 2016?  Because that's when all the mesh heads and bodies started coming out (it might've been 2015 but i can't remember), then Bento was released shortly after that.  And you will have to learn about mesh heads & bodies, as well as bento, if you want to start creating clothing and attachments for mesh avatars.

Edited by Nextio
  • Like 1

Hi Leo, welcome back to Second Life!

You asked about:

- In world:  Actually playing Second Life.  You have a viewer open, you are logged in, your avatar is "in the Second Life world".  You visit Second Life clubs and stores when you are in world.  When you are communicating here in the Forums, or using Blender or Photoshop, you are NOT "in world".

- SIM:  Short for "simulator", the software that supports a Second Life region.  Most people use "sim" and "region" interchangeably.  A "region" is one grid square on the world map.  It is 256 x 256 meters in size and has an area of 65,536 square meters.

- PRIM:  Short for "geometric primitive shape".  These are shapes like cubes, spheres, cylinders, etc.  You can create prims with Second Life's built-in building tools.  Right click the ground, select "build" or "create" (depending on your viewer).  Your cursor will change into a little magic wand symbol.  Click it on the ground again, and a plywood cube will appear.  Congratulations, you have created a prim!

- REZ:  We stole this term from the movie "Tron".  It has several meanings.  We can say, "I rezzed a prim", meaning, "I created a prim".  Or you can rez something from your inventory...you can drag it from your inventory and make it appear.  "Rez" can also refer to the world becoming clear around us after we teleport to a new place.  "Wait a minute, things are still rezzing for me."  Or it can be applied to an avatar who's just logged in or teleported.  "You have not rezzed for me yet, you still look like a cloud."

The definitions for many other Second Life terms can be found here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Second_Life_Glossary

There are many learning resources you can use.

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/second-life-quickstart-r373/

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/

Caledon Oxbridge University: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Caledon Oxbridge/92/197/27/  (This link will open your viewer, and you will log in at the Caledon Oxbridge University location in Second Life.  This type of link is called a SLURL, or Second Life URL.)

New Resident Island: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Lawst Paradise/214/29/24

Firestorm Social Island: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Firestorm Social Island/45/69/33

Builders Brewery: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Builders Brewery/128/193/22

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.