Teegle vs Water Horse - Animesh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

Yesterday I finally purchased my first Animesh horse, a Warmblood from Water Horse after a week or more worth of researching all the animesh options available at this time. 

I know there are two other stores out there that sell animesh horses but with not so many customization options.

I wish to purchase a Teegle as well but I am unsure of the differences/similarities between the two.

And without further introductions, this' my Stallion boy.

47910200821_2e930c7777_k.jpg

Edited by ErukaVonD
  • Like 5

I have the Water Horse Bento version, the new Water Horse Animesh "Friends" version (yes, the L$12,000 version) and the Teegle American Paint "Copyable" version. I'll just put in some "bullet" list comparisons for brevity - I will try to keep my personal opinions of either out of it, other than to say I believe BOTH are amazing, high-quality products from very talented creators.

Both versions: Animesh, rez and roam, rez and ride, wearable to ride.

• Price: Teegle: 1500L Base Horse:  no copy/no transfer/allows redeliveries for life (intent: you cannot create a herd) (Budget 1500L for tack and skin = 3000L total)
  • Price: Teegle : 6000L Base Horse, copyable version, no transfer, Permissions for Owner Only or Anyone, (allows multiple to be rezzed)
  • Permissions: All versions: Owner Only or Anyone (new permissions options promised in an update)
  • Rez-and-ride passengers: Up to three, can "pass the reigns" to any of the three riders (anyone can control the horse)
  • Animations: Ride Left, Ride Right (unclear what these are at this point), Spook, Buck Rear-up, Praise (pet), lead, bow.
  • Water: When in system water, auto-switches to swimming animation,  sitters 2 and 3 remain on the horse, sitter 1 is in the water. (optional in settings)
  • Fly: Yes, allows temporary fly when in a jam, or as a flying horse, animated (such as a Pegasus).
  • Roaming: Yes, does NOT require path-finding (must be turned on at estate level; all LL regions are turned on) - Set "home" and radius.
  • Aftermarket add-ons: Yes. All textures are compatible, Object add-ons must be *compatible," very few at this time.
  • Editable: Yes, most new add-on are auto-attach: rez addon on the ground, edit add-on, shift-select horse (as root) click link: auto-placed add-on.
  • Guest rezzer available separately (7000L)
  • Price: Water Horse: 5000L Base Horse plus Western or English tack (based on purchase choice), includes multiple customizable "skins"
  • Price: Water Horse "Friend" version: 12,000L Same as above, includes an additional version with "anyone" permissions.  (This is the one and only difference).
  • Permissions: base: Owner Only; Friend: Owner Only and a version for Anyone.
  • Rez-and-ride passengers: Up to two, cannot "pass the reigns" to anyone else.
  • Animations: Buck Rear-up (low and high versions,) Praise (pet), Lead, "Sit" (sit with horse laying), Dressage, Bow.
  • Water: When in system water, nothing happens - you simply ride underwater (bad for metered role-players: drowning damage)
  • Fly: Yes, allows temporary fly when in a jam, or as a flying horse, animated (such as a Pegasus).
  • Roaming: Yes, REQUIRES path-finding (must be turned on at estate level; all LL regions are turned on).
  • Aftermarket add-ons: Yes. Not all textures are compatible; Object add-ons must be *compatible," very few at this time.
  • Editable: Yes, must have adept editing and linking/delinking experience; requires full script reset after any change.
  • Guest rezzer available: Unknown at this time.
  • Also a "Draft" (Clydesdale) version of larger size.

There's the quick-and-simple summary. There are more differences, but those don't really affect preference, just different implementations or minor differences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I decided to buy a horse as soon as I moved into Bellissaria. Two reasons I went for Waterhorse:

• They look more realistic. Teegle horses are more cartoon-like (though there are custom skins you can buy which may look more realistic).
  • Only Waterhorse provides a horse that's large enough for me to ride; my avatar is very tall and only the Waterhorse Draft would fit me. The Teegle Unicorn is their tallest and even that one isn't tall enough.

I do think the animations on the Teegle are significantly better than the Waterhorse ones. I'm tempted to get one anyway, and just make myself temporarily shorter so I can ride it properly.

Also though I tried the animesh demos of both horses, I ended up getting the non-animesh one, because I don't have the space to rez a horse out in a paddock.

gypsy_001.thumb.png.366e83d2f232398007ebe477a5f45a13.png

This is my girl Gypsy, out for a bareback ride along the beach.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got the Water Horse English Warmblood friends edition the day they came out. I like it a lot, and I was able to make versions for each of my friends until they got their own horses using the included customization HUD and saved copies of the horses.

I also on that first day let a couple of friends who do a lot with vehicle scripts ride them, and they did not have kind words to say about the scripting on region crossing. We all noticed a 10-25% chance of being thrown wildly into the air on crossings. The feedback I got was that compiling the saddle (vehicle) script in mono was a mistake, and that it suffers from a vertical attraction bug that car scripters solved years ago. We added an extra script to try and fix it, but it may have been a placebo. If the horse falls over (not hard with the wedge prim it's based on as a vehicle) it's basically dead and you have to reset the scripts or rez a new one.

Of course you can attach it instead if you're the owner and I did so the last time I rode around Bellisseria. I got offset from the horse about 5m to the left on a crossing and had to delete that copy and attach a fresh one to continue.

It is very cool, but the script problems concern me in a L$12,000 product when those problems have been solved in scripts used in dollarbie cars. I hope they will improve the scripts over time.

I don't regret buying it though- we've had some fun adventures so far in our small group of riders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:
  • They look more realistic. Teegle horses are more cartoon-like (though there are custom skins you can buy which may look more realistic).
  • Only Waterhorse provides a horse that's large enough for me to ride; my avatar is very tall and only the Waterhorse Draft would fit me. The Teegle Unicorn is their tallest and even that one isn't tall enough.

Good points. Water Horse is, by far, the defacto must-get for the wearable-only option; nothing else comes close and I woud say Teegle fits that in the Avatr department (over WH).

As for the models, it feels to me that the necks of the Waterhorse a bit longer than they should be (On the Unicorn: of course, but the others seem too long). Other than that I find they are both quite similar on quality. Teegle is intending (to my undertsanding) additional breeds (Mustang? I'llGottsGetOne!) - so some of the proportional differences may have to do with that also (I don;t know, my mom was a horse fanataic, I rolled my eyes LOL)

I also have the Water Horse Draft (Well, the Clydesdale version, "Belgian?") - I feel SO TINY on it LOL. BUT, With the Buck and Stag mods, it is freakin' awesome. Thranduil, dude, can't touch this! :)

As for the 12,000L version of Water Horse and the 6,000L version of Teegle: I am sure these are marketed and priced to sim owners wanting to rez a herd for guests to ride, so the pricing makes sense. Teegle, the way I see it, also *understands* that "personal owners" may want to simply be able to rez a second or third for role-play or private parcel, like I want to do (and in role-play it's great for simulating the theft of White Eyes horse: Rez a coule and thell them to follow me and voila! Apache Horse Thief foREALZ!)

All in all, all of these are excellent producst and the creators are amazingly talented in my mind. All of these are fully worth the asking orice (the 12K L$ WH if you are indeed a ragion owner creating a horse-riding experience for all your guests, then sure, it's arguably worth the asking price).

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Thanks 1

Hellos,

Thanks for all those detailed comments above. omg ❤️

I bought a Teegle as well, namely Hanoverian, and I have noticed that they are indeed a tad smaller than WH.

However, the materials of certain third party skin (coat) textures are off the charts in certain windlights. So that's a plus.

For my WH I was able to change the saddle and stuff altogether (edit mode) but when trying to change the mane and tail on Hano, the new "attachments" would collide with the body during certain movements - kinda like flexi prims did.

The saddle on WH is however never peeking through the body no matter the position of the horse. 

The Teegle's new mane and tail also completely broke during sim crossings and having to edit them every time is certainly a bit of a nuisance.

Maybe I'm missing something but for now I'm sticking with my Warmblood and omg - if you look closely at it, it is breathing :D If anybody is into small deets like that.

PSFix_20190524_112655.jpeg

Modded saddle for WH ^

Edited by ErukaVonD
typo
  • Like 3

I've been looking for a thread like this...

because of the riding group Bellisseria.

Plus I need more info on how to customize them etc and other gear

Edited by Louminca
had to finish my thought,
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ErukaVonD said:

but when trying to change the mane and tail on Hano, the new "attachments" would collide with the body during certain movements - kinda like flexi prims did.

The saddle on WH is however never peeking through the body no matter the position of the horse. 

The Teegle's new mane and tail also completely broke during sim crossings and having to edit them every time is certainly a bit of a nuisance.

I haven't experienced any of this, though the TeeglePet alsi is still a Public Beta, so I would expect all that to improve. Wer I you and experiencing the same thing, I'd get a redelivery just to be sure it wasn;t some glitch with the one I have. :)

EDIT:I just remembered... Is your saddle and main and tail aftermarket add-ons? Because you have to be careful. If there are made for the Teegle *Avatar* - they won't work with the TeeglePet Animesg horse (I've make that mistake a couple times, also with Water Horse stuff). Be sure any add-ons that are made by other creators are *designed* to work with the TeeglePet Animesh horse. The only tack (other than the Native Bridle) that I've seen is the tack that comes from TeeglePet.

So any clipping and odd behavior you are seeing may be because those items are deaigned for the Avatar verion. You will know because to add anything to the Anumesh is easy - just rez on the ground near the horse, edit, then select the horse (so it will be root) and libk - the add-on will be automatically attached to the right place. :)

Edited by Alyona Su

Yes all are aftermarket because  I wanted to create sort of like my own style. Bought animesh add ons for both WH and Hano. Rezzed them on the ground, edited them.

Maybe I'm missing something. Will have to retinker with them. However, IMO WH is the sim cross champ, for now.

I own the Bento Waterhorse on my alt. I do like it a lot. When I went to upgrade to the animesh version, I tried the WH and the Teegle and ended up choosing the Teegle. I liked the animations a lot better. I thought their dev kit was easier to use if you are into creating coats or attachments. I love the way the animate when roaming on land.  I think both are excellent horses and you can't go wrong with either of them.

The Teegles 🙂

32824267157_ef1d418ee0_z.jpg

Edited by Mercedes Avon
  • Like 4

I have wanted a horse in SL for so long, but I want my alts, at least 2 of them, to have one too.

So I try the WH demo, and almost buy it. And then Teeglepet is released.

I was straight over and bought one, then another today. It is BETA and updates is free for all time. Then, when it's not beta anymore, I guess it will be a price jump. So I will expect better and better updates. Small issues now is common for all things beta.

Since it is new, it is not much content made for it. Before the summer, as rumors about this wonderfully cheap horse is spread, there will be a demand for more things. People will ask creators "Why don't you make this for Teeglepet?" Third party saddles, bridles, coats, mane and tails. It is already some on the MP, later today I will buy the "Fjord" mane and tail.

Search for Teeglepet, and you will not get the Teegle avatar coats and accessories.

Plus the Teeglepet has a "swim with your horse" option.

• Like 1

I just got my bento horses when they came out.

I don't know if I'm ready to go buying all over again..I got just about every bento Water horse they make.. Now I'm out of date again?

I'm just going to have to wait a bit until I get tired of these first I guess.. Some of them still have the plastic packaging on the saddles,they are so new..

hehehehe

• 4 months later...

The Teegle horsey skin textures are really rich and soft looking, and have a hand drawn quality which I've always thought looks better in SL than photo realistic textures. You can get a Paint Horse, Hanoverian, Friesian or Unicorn.  I bought the Hanoverian.Examples of the Teegle horse skins below. I bought the English tack (bridle and saddle) at Rein. Fun!

• Teegle Rideable Horse (pet version) $1500L
  • Rein Bridle $350L
  • Rein Saddle $350L
  • Teegle also offers tack sets (includes bridle and saddle) for $500L but I liked the textures of the Rein ones more.

• TP_TexturePP_Knightly.jpg

TP_TexturePP_Storm (1).jpg

TP_PP_Countess.jpg

TP_TexturePP_Honey.jpg

TP_TexturePP_Taboo.jpg

EnglishBridle1.jpg

EnglishSaddle1.jpg

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll

On 5/23/2019 at 4:54 AM, ErukaVonD said:

Hello,

Yesterday I finally purchased my first Animesh horse, a Warmblood from Water Horse after a week or more worth of researching all the animesh options available at this time. 

I know there are two other stores out there that sell animesh horses but with not so many customization options.

I wish to purchase a Teegle as well but I am unsure of the differences/similarities between the two.

And without further introductions, this' my Stallion boy.

47910200821_2e930c7777_k.jpg

This is a great thread, I'm so glad you started it. So often threads are discouraged or removed because a specific company is named, for good or ill, and criticism is lodged. Yet it's precisely this sort of comparison shopping and debate that is required to have more informed consumers and a better economy in SL. The reasoning behind the ban are varied -- some of it is a hangover of MMORPG culture where no company is allowed to be mentioned on forums so as not to compete with the game company. In SL, I think it has more to do with fear of libel lawsuits. Except the best corrective to fake news is to freely publish real news and commentary. It's way more important that a consumer rights or BBB sort of organization, which has had a number of historical disasters in SL because many people think the way to compete is to disparage your competitor and it becomes very biased quickly. Not so if you allow free commentary and comparisons.

I love the way the Teegles look wandering around in a field. They seem very natural and they really bring SL to life. I don't mind if they have a cartoonish or painted quality because I think that style fits better in SL than photo realism.

That said, I have no desire to own or ride a horse. I encourage it at the SL Public Land Preserve of course and allow it for my tenants, unless they want to put out 50 breedable horses that lag a sim. But pet/riding horses are a different story.

My own partiality is to Jinx just because I'm more familiar with that company and have bought many nice things from them, ranging from pets to gatcha wandering animals and one of my favourites, a typing pose called "Calling Down the Planets". I bought a rideable Llama (for which you are supposed to by the Water Horse) simply because I wanted him actually as a pet, I liked his movements just "as is" and put him in a field with goats and lambs in "Woods Between the Worlds" (in the world Felimath). $500 is a big expenditure for me and the llama add-on was like $450, so I will be awhile before I get the Water Horse, which I realize I need to have the other rideables work. I did get the gatcha Aslan mount which is really wonderful, although Aslan in C.S. Lewis rarely allowed people to ride on him, it was a special occasion and I respect that.

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2019 at 6:05 PM, Alyona Su said:

Good points. Water Horse is, by far, the defacto must-get for the wearable-only option; nothing else comes close and I woud say Teegle fits that in the Avatr department (over WH).

As for the models, it feels to me that the necks of the Waterhorse a bit longer than they should be (On the Unicorn: of course, but the others seem too long). Other than that I find they are both quite similar on quality. Teegle is intending (to my undertsanding) additional breeds (Mustang? I'llGottsGetOne!) - so some of the proportional differences may have to do with that also (I don;t know, my mom was a horse fanataic, I rolled my eyes LOL)

I also have the Water Horse Draft (Well, the Clydesdale version, "Belgian?") - I feel SO TINY on it LOL. BUT, With the Buck and Stag mods, it is freakin' awesome. Thranduil, dude, can't touch this! :)

As for the 12,000L version of Water Horse and the 6,000L version of Teegle: I am sure these are marketed and priced to sim owners wanting to rez a herd for guests to ride, so the pricing makes sense. Teegle, the way I see it, also *understands* that "personal owners" may want to simply be able to rez a second or third for role-play or private parcel, like I want to do (and in role-play it's great for simulating the theft of White Eyes horse: Rez a coule and thell them to follow me and voila! Apache Horse Thief foREALZ!)

All in all, all of these are excellent producst and the creators are amazingly talented in my mind. All of these are fully worth the asking orice (the 12K L$ WH if you are indeed a ragion owner creating a horse-riding experience for all your guests, then sure, it's arguably worth the asking price).

I didn't realize you could buy a herd for guests to ride. $12,000 is an impossible sum for me in SL, i.e. I don't want to spend that in SL, but RL, but I will keep it in mind.

On 5/24/2019 at 6:32 PM, Mercedes Avon said:

I own the Bento Waterhorse on my alt. I do like it a lot. When I went to upgrade to the animesh version, I tried the WH and the Teegle and ended up choosing the Teegle. I liked the animations a lot better. I thought their dev kit was easier to use if you are into creating coats or attachments. I love the way the animate when roaming on land.  I think both are excellent horses and you can't go wrong with either of them.

The Teegles 🙂

32824267157_ef1d418ee0_z.jpg

I'm curious to see how this does in Animesh. I love many Animesh things but I find the Hayabusa animesh trees are really just too wild and crazy. It takes awhile to tame them with the settings so they don't seem like monster trees, although in some Halloween areas I want monster trees. But I'm not sure animesh is meant for everything in SL. Animals seem an obvious application.

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I didn't realize you could buy a herd for guests to ride. $12,000 is an impossible sum for me in SL, i.e. I don't want to spend that in SL, but RL, but I will keep it in mind.

Or, you can go with a Copyable TeeglePet Ridable Animesh horse (L$6000.) Since the time of my writing the post you quote, I've since decided I prefer the TeeglePet over the Water Horse for a few reasons: TeeglePet is more anatomically correct (WH necks are too long) - Teegle pet can be set to owner-only or anyone, Teeglepet can ride three people and any of them can "take the reins" and drive it, TeeglePet does not require Pathfinding to wander, Wandering Teeglepet will also randomly follow people and do other things the Water Horse doesn't.

TeeglePet is a better value overall with regard to Ridable/Wearable Animesh horses. I also have a Teeglepet horse rezzer at my Bellisseria Camper and on my Mainland Parcel in Heterocerta.

If you're interested in these, I firmly recommend you demo the TeeglePet as well.

Edited by Alyona Su

52 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Or, you can go with a Copyable TeeglePet Ridable Animesh horse (L$6000.) Since the time of my writing the post you quote, I've since decided I prefer the TeeglePet over the Water Horse for a few reasons: TeeglePet is more anatomically correct (WH necks are too long) - Teegle pet can be set to owner-only or anyone, Teeglepet can ride three people and any of them can "take the reins" and drive it, TeeglePet does not require Pathfinding to wander, Wandering Teeglepet will also randomly follow people and do other things the Water Horse doesn't.

TeeglePet is a better value overall with regard to Ridable/Wearable Animesh horses. I also have a Teeglepet horse rezzer at my Bellisseria Camper and on my Mainland Parcel in Heterocerta.

If you're interested in these, I firmly recommend you demo the TeeglePet as well.

Realistek is now making an animesh horse as well, and I love mine! Henry and I have all sorts of fun out exploring. IMO, he's just as good as the TeeglePet and the Water Horse, if not better. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

The Teegle horsey skin textures are really rich and soft looking, and have a hand drawn quality which I've always thought looks better in SL than photo realistic textures. You can get a Paint Horse, Hanoverian, Friesian or Unicorn.  I bought the Hanoverian.Examples of the Teegle horse skins below. I bought the English tack (bridle and saddle) at Rein. Fun!

• Teegle Rideable Horse (pet version) $1500L
  • Rein Bridle $350L
  • Rein Saddle $350L
  • Teegle also offers tack sets (includes bridle and saddle) for $500L but I liked the textures of the Rein ones more.

• TP_TexturePP_Knightly.jpg

TP_TexturePP_Storm (1).jpg

TP_PP_Countess.jpg

TP_TexturePP_Honey.jpg

TP_TexturePP_Taboo.jpg

EnglishBridle1.jpg

EnglishSaddle1.jpg

When it says "pet version" does that mean it requires feeding?

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

Realistek is now making an animesh horse as well, and I love mine! Henry and I have all sorts of fun out exploring. IMO, he's just as good as the TeeglePet and the Water Horse, if not better. 

@ L$12,000 and a convoluted HUD that offers many great features one will rarely use. I have one of those, too. :)

20 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

You can buy "Feeders" and troughs and things that the wandering horse will use, but it's not a breedable and feeding it is not required at all. As for the ala carte way to buy it (Tack sold separately) - I like that option better personally. With Water Horse you get a full tack whether you want it or not. And even though it automatically hides itself when "standing" off the horse, it's still a lot of LI being used unless you manually detach it all. WH is also a lot more difficult to edit (such as attaching add-ons, etc.) where Teegle the add-ons auto-position themselves.

One thing I do utterly hate about the WH is the click-box (the physics box that surrounds the horse) is a large block and make it near impossible to click any option add-ons you may be wearing, where the Teegle box is a sphere and leaves the horses' rump exposed, making it easier for actual interacting.

Oh, and if you get the copiable version (L$6000) you can rez an entire heard if you want and set them all to be accessed by anyone. Or you can get a TeeglePet Horse rezzer for L$7000 and they are rezzed on demand.

I do want to add this: when rezzing a Water Horse to ride, the controls are stupid, trying to control it at anything faster than a trot is near impossible. The TeeglePet does much better in this regard, though can still be unwieldy, but there's an option on the Teegle that the rider can set under "Movement" and set the horse to Phantom - which makes it act more like it is being a wearable rather than an unwieldy vehicle - useful when in hilly environments.

I'm not in world now or I'd plop SLURLS to both my places that have rezzers, but you can just go to Water Horse and Teegle regions and demo there also.

Edited by Alyona Su

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Nope. The pet version or "Teeglepet" just differentiates it from a horse avatar that Teegle also makes.

As Alyona pointed out, you can buy hay feeders and things the Teeglepet horse will interact with but none are required. You don't even need a bridle or saddle but i like to accessorize.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 11:13 AM, Beth Macbain said:

I didn't realize they were making them.  I'll have to check that out.  I have the WH, which I am totally in love with but I'm always open to taking a peek at new products/horses.  

• Like 1

Did anyone else see when Teegle did a test herd run and people brought their animesh horses down for it? That was so great, got me interested in thinking about herding AI for animesh creatures.

Here's a video of the event:

Also LOL they caught me twerking on camera.

Edited by Aemeth Lysette
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.