Clothing Theft

tor4Wraith

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please forgive me if this is not the proper place or even if I am allowed to do this.  I only visit here occasionally, I spend most of my time in RLC.  I wanted to let the designers here know that right now RLC is having a major issue with theft.  Myself and some of the other designers in RLC have started a thread about it in the RLC forums.  We can identify many items from RLC that appear to have been stolen from here:(  We have tried to get the thieves to take the items down by showing the original from here and their copy.  RLC will not force them to take the items down without a complaint from the original owner.  We talked about trying to find the original owners here but it is becoming a nightmare!  Some claim they have an account here too but we have no way of telling.  I urge the designers here to look at the thread and take action to protect your investments!

This is the link to the RLC forum.  If I can help any of you, please email me at tor.wraith.brnd@gmail.com

Mods, if this is not allowed, please delete.  Thank you.

SL = tor4wraith

RLC = Cougar

• Like 1

I know the forum thread Tor is referring, it's really bad and I notecarded some of the designers I recognise from here with link to said thread so they can take action their side,

• Like 1

the link:  https://www.virtual-vancouver.com  is rejected by my security .. it tells me this is not a safe site and is risky therefore, I did not go there.  But I would like to be able to go see what tor is talking about.  Would there be another link that is more secure that might give me some insight into this issue.  I can't really see if any of my items have been pirated if I can't see the items in question.

• Like 1

I can send you link to the thread in IM if any one wants; just hit me up in world as online anytime from 6am to 7-7.30pm SLT; if I don't respond right away then I'm likely being RL caregiver.

• Like 1

Please try this link, it is a link to the current forum thread on clothing theft.

https://forums.utherverse.com/yaf_postst130915_Asking-out-of-curiousity.aspx

There are a lot of pictures there but not all, Betty_Blue is an invalid and is the one gathering most of the information.  We have been trying for some time to get people's attention.  It is completely out of control:(

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 4:42 AM, tor4Wraith said:

Please forgive me if this is not the proper place or even if I am allowed to do this.  I only visit here occasionally, I spend most of my time in RLC.  I wanted to let the designers here know that right now RLC is having a major issue with theft.  Myself and some of the other designers in RLC have started a thread about it in the RLC forums.  We can identify many items from RLC that appear to have been stolen from here:(  We have tried to get the thieves to take the items down by showing the original from here and their copy.  RLC will not force them to take the items down without a complaint from the original owner.  We talked about trying to find the original owners here but it is becoming a nightmare!  Some claim they have an account here too but we have no way of telling.  I urge the designers here to look at the thread and take action to protect your investments!

This is the link to the RLC forum.  If I can help any of you, please email me at tor.wraith.brnd@gmail.com

Mods, if this is not allowed, please delete.  Thank you.

SL = tor4wraith

RLC = Cougar

It looks like RLC is a good two generations behind Second Life as far as clothing technology. Anything that is actually ripped from Second Life will be very old. The pictures you have of clothing from a store called "Blueberry" aren't being directly copied because they're 3D mesh clothing and the "copies" are simple painted textures, and with how most clothing is made it's very doubtful that the actual textures from the 3D clothing are being used. As far as the style of the garments, there's very little in the clothing world that's subject to copyright.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1

Hello,

You need not be a member of RLC (Utherverse) to read forum!  RLC is a virtual world!

Thread names is: Asking out of curiousity  under Textures: Clothing, Tattoos, etc.

They are stealing from each designer in here, but mostly from Blueberry, Elegance Boutique, Just Because, ISON, Addams, Larry Jeans, erratic and the others.

You can fill the form for complain if you are not from States.

If you are from States, then DMCA.

Thank you for your time!

We may not post thieves names on forum, but please email tor4wraith. There is about 40 designer who steals from SL.....in lot of cases their catalogs are totally stolen from SL.

Edited by DreamDesign
  • Like 1

For a more clear example from that thread:

Second Life:
hFTu8qo.png

Utherverse (same shirt):
fu7TAsr.png

Second Life:
fOZ6O2w.png

Utherverse:
1bXLtc7.png

But I am skeptical about how much of this is "stealing" (the first one is most likely ripped) and how much is just "copying."

Based on this and some other articles:
https://utherverse.fandom.com/wiki/Clothing_Design

All Utherverse clothing is just a flat texture (similar to SL clothing layers) where the UV layout is different from that of Second Life. This means that no mesh clothing can be "stolen" as the creation process is entirely different, even if the design is the exact same. (The closest you can get to is taking a screenshot and editing that until you fit everything on the other UV.) This also kind of applies to clothing layers ripped from Second Life. The Utherverse texture layout is still different, so it requires some work to get it to look kind of right, with warping and seams.

Here is an example of the torso texture I found.
5200622_orig.jpg

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

I am serious and I only want to give you evidence and warn you about stealing outfits from SL.

Lavelin in RLC is stealing from SL.

I am talking about 40 thieves which catalogs are completely stolen.

Lavelin.PNG

SL1.PNG

Edited by DreamDesign
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DreamDesign said:

I am serious and I only want to give you evidence and warn you about stealing outfits from SL.

Lavelin in RLC is stealing from SL.

I am talking about 40 thieves which catalogs are completely stolen.

Lavelin.PNG

SL1.PNG

This case looks like a case of obsessive reproduction, is this dress model unique to SL?

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tor4Wraith said:

Kyrah,

The only reason we came here was to weed out some thieves.  If you feel they are not stealing, that is fine.  We are not here to prove a case, we were trying to help

~tor

Hopefully you're also informing the SL creators directly about this. Linden Lab won't/can't do anything.

• Like 3

The ONLY solution is that the original IP holders must file a DMCA with LL.

https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/intellectual-property-infringement-notification-policy

Simply pointing out the same / similar assets on more than one platform is not sufficient, LL are unable to act without a DMCA request and threads like this will be taken as either naming and shaming, or as exposing SL users accounts on other platforms.

A LOT of content in all virtual worlds has a common source and the person who uploaded / ported it may not be or in any way connected to the original author. It's quite possible multiple people have bought the same base asset and are reselling it, they may well have a licence from the original author to do this (although some content libraries do explicitly state that reselling assets in SL/Virtual worlds is not permitted while use in other game engines might be).

2 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

The ONLY solution is that the original IP holders must file a DMCA with LL.

Filing a DMCA with LL won't have any effect since they aren't the ones hosting the content, the DMCA needs to be filed with the company that owns the platform on which the stolen content is hosted.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Filing a DMCA with LL won't have any effect since they aren't the ones hosting the content, the DMCA needs to be filed with the company that owns the platform on which the stolen content is hosted.

Correct!! 

Reports of stolen textures need to come from the owner of the original textures.

Until the original owner contacts World Operations saying they are being used without their permission,  WorldOperations is unable to remove and act on reports.  If WorldOperations is contacted with a proper DMCA or content removal request the textures will be removed and the appropriate action taken.

I am not able to share a link, but you can find how to complain in your browser, type Utherverse TOS.....for designers who are not from States and designer who are from States

they come to warn and tell what to do, but can't post a link or make a notecard ... and mainly talking about other grids, not really usefull for SL, where btw all creators deal with copy theft even before the official launch 16 yr ago..and still on that war.

4 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Yes .. derp, I read the OP as content from someplace else appearing here. Woo Ambien.

• Haha 1

The stuff they're stealing, if they're stealing it, looks like obsolete stuff from an SL freebie store. Compare the fitted rigged mesh Lida leather jacket/bodysuit for SL above, which looks quite good, with the Utherverse texture only version. It's like someone took a screenshot and pasted it onto a Utherverse clothing template.

Someone could probably argue "transformative use" under US copyright law. It's like taking a picture from Vogue and making it into a paper doll.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:39 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

(The closest you can get to is taking a screenshot and editing that until you fit everything on the other UV.) 

Wrong: you can get the two avatars to overlap and texture bake from one to the other, your 3D app will take care of the remapping. It's really a couple clicks set up (after you have made a template with readily overlapped avatars). Same goes for the mesh clothing: you can fit the mesh clothing on the target avatar and have the clothing textures be baked on the avatar skin, same procedure.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2019 at 11:19 AM, OptimoMaximo said:

you can fit the mesh clothing on the target avatar and have the clothing textures be baked on the avatar skin, same procedure

That's actually how I used to produce system clothes back in the days. I would model an outfit and then bake it on the avatar.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.