second life avatars and people real life passing away

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Has anyone else had people in the game pass away in real life that you knew and liked? I have been to  a second life funeral of a person last year that went to jazz sim a lot that I  went to. The people showed his real life pic and sat in chairs and said on voice what they liked about him.I  went to a memorial of a animal breeder on sl who was also liked by a lot of people. people rode horses around a few laps in to remember her and say what they liked about her. a kittycats and biobreeds breeder recently passed away also in April. two sims have a memorial of her.  I  know this is a virtual world, but it is sad to see people pass away in real life. all three times I  heard from people who knew the person in real life. if any of you lost friends on here did you have a memorial also?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deadlycreature1 said:

Has anyone else had people in the game pass away in real life that you knew and liked? I have been to  a second life funeral of a person last year that went to jazz sim a lot that I  went to. The people showed his real life pic and sat in chairs and said on voice what they liked about him.I  went to a memorial of a animal breeder on sl who was also liked by a lot of people. people rode horses around a few laps in to remember her and say what they liked about her. a kittycats and biobreeds breeder recently passed away also in April. two sims have a memorial of her.  I  know this is a virtual world, but it is sad to see people pass away in real life. all three times I  heard from people who knew the person in real life. if any of you lost friends on here did you have a memorial also?

We had a friend pass tragically.  She was my hostess at a club.  Luckily one of the DJs was her RL friend.  Our memorial was in the form of a 24 hour music fundraiser to make some money for her young children who were now orphans in the care of their grandparents.  We made enough to pass to the grandparents to give them a treat when they thought the time was right.  It will be 5 years next month and I still think of her often.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I've been to several memorials in SL.  In addition, sometimes people will create a garden or other memorial to people who have passed on.

Sometimes I go to Angels Church in SL.  At the back, they have candles.  You can write a hovertext label, "burning in honor of _____" and the candle will burn for a day.

• Like 5

Yes, Sadly I have several people in my friends list that will never log in again.  I was partnered to one of them.  We had memorials and every once in a while I look at the profiles and remember them.  It's very sad.  I've also been to memorials with friends of people that weren't on my friends list but I'd met and liked.  The people behind the avatars are very real and very much missed.

Edited by kali Wylder
  • Like 4

I have lost several SL friends over the years.  While I was still working with the Community Virtual Library, we had a row of perpetual candles -- one for each of our community who had passed on -- at one end of the Main Library.

• Like 2

Long before I came to SL, I read of a website (long gone) called "usernotfound.com", which was a place for people to offer remembrances of those they lost online. I lost a couple friends I'd met in my IRC days and my alt Snugs was an avi I originally created for a friend I'd met there more than twenty years ago. He got married before I could lure him in, so I turned Snugs into my alter-ego. Shortly after that he passed away, and two years later so did his wife. In some sense, Snugs is a memorial to that old friend, who was never shy about calling me out.

Since coming to SL, I've lost several friends, and missed more memorials than I've attended. There are a few remembrances still around in SL, though there are more in my RL yard where I sometimes designate new plants as memorials for people I once knew. This works in a more perverse direction as well. When a tree in my yard dies and I cut it up for firewood, I might imagine it's some asshat I once knew on usenet at sci.astro.amateur.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 7

Yes, my great rl aunt -that introduced me to SL-  passed away.  Her youthful spirit fit her avatar way more than her rl body that restricted her physically most of her life.  Our age difference and family roles disappeared here and we were just best girlfriends. 

Once I signed on as her avatar and just said Goodbye. But talk about weird. Without her operating her avatar it was merely a soulless doll. I came to understand how much we posses our avatars.  

It's kinda pointless now, to figure out how to legally handle an account after a death but I still like to know. 

I didnt play sl for a year after she passed because it was our thing and I had never done it alone. I also regretted every time time I had blown off meeting her in sl to do something in rl. 

Now after reading all your responses maybe I might make a memorial. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Whilst heart rending and somewhat agonising to endure, again, SL is a constant reminder to celebrate every second of whatever life you're in right now. In RL if someone passes you can escape to SL. Not so with SL though. The pain is equal in both worlds with those who have played a major role. I wonder if there's an SL up or down there perhaps ^^?

• Like 4

i had nice friend from twinktown Jimmie - in rl he was 18 years old,but in rl looked like 8 years old boy (i don t remember how this condition is called).He spent lots of time in sl because his life was between hospital and home. and in one day his heart just stopped.and thats was final.Twink town became very silent then. He was truly sunny kid,who always believed in love and kindness

• Like 1

I will never know for sure, but I do think so yes (and it does feel so). About 7 years ago someone went offline and never returned after being online almost daily for the 4 years up front of that. A close friend (and more at first), but we never exchanged enough real life information to find out what happened, so it will always remain a mystery I guess.

• Like 2

my ex bf,who played really weird game in sl with his alts.Sometimes he was overdramatic person. And after he broke up with his sl wife,he deleted all his 3 avatars.and in november  he was back and found me,we talked just nice and left all offends behind. Somewhere in the  middle of december i realized he is off for some days.Googled his name and found out that this preson is dead for 2 weeks already. at first i thought he used other man presonality and lied again. then talked to his ex wife,she said she also found out in google.and then his other ex talked to me,i asked her was doogee really this guy named Mark(rl)she said yes and was surprised why i don t believe. i was sad and confused^:reactivate avatars and in 2 weeks jump from moving car t die?(hs ex wife said so) .So it was really weird time i felt lost and confused,also i felt like that  my ex avatars  ,this wife and another ex are one same person.sorry for too much words,i tried o explain my feelings.Also i made my first memorial thing,made a candle which swims far away with hovertext of person you want to remember.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Panteleeva said:

Also i made my first memorial thing,made a candle which swims far away with hovertext of person you want to remember.

When I abandoned my first SL avi, I set her on a blazing raft and pushed her out to sea. It was a melodramatic sendoff to be sure, but it felt good. SL is fertile ground for mind games, both those we play with others and those we play with ourselves.

Hugs

14 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Maybe we should all say our final farewells right now in a new thread. In case we don't get the luxury to do so.

It's morbid, I know.

...sets Bree Giffen, beloved by many, on fire for the very last time, observes a moment of silence, then pinches her bum and runs.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

In case people don't know (or oldbies forgetting) Linden Lab actually created a very large, awe-inspiring Memorial Park. Most in Sl for more than a few years will have known or at least heard of someone's passing. But even if you haven't, it's a very somber experience there and you should visit. Just search places for Linden Memorial park. Here's a SLURL to get started:

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Varna/178/26/23

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

In case people don't know (or oldbies forgetting) Linden Lab actually created a very large, awe-inspiring Memorial Park. Most in Sl for more than a few years will have known or at least heard of someone's passing. But even if you haven't, it's a very somber experience there and you should visit. Just search places for Linden Memorial park. Here's a SLURL to get started:

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Varna/178/26/23

Yes. Drivers of SL had everyone walk through it last weekend.

No new memorials have been added since 2009. But there is plenty of room.

Maybe it should be a premium perk. You get a permanent grave site if you pay for at least a year.

• Like 4

On 5/22/2019 at 1:39 AM, deadlycreature1 said:

Yes, of course. Some are real deaths some are also get away from a crazy ex deaths to.  I myself have been to a few memorials. Not funerals in sl, that is just weird but a memorial is nice.  I had someone I knew for almost as long as I was in SL pass away and it was only then I found out a whole bunch of truths about him that made me so against getting to know anyone in sl on that level ever again. 

Edited by Tarina Sewell

1 hour ago, animats said:

Yes. Drivers of SL had everyone walk through it last weekend.

No new memorials have been added since 2009. But there is plenty of room.

Maybe it should be a premium perk. You get a permanent grave site if you pay for at least a year.

I put a memorial for my late rl husband there and that was in 2014.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2019 at 10:44 PM, Louminca said:

It's kinda pointless now, to figure out how to legally handle an account after a death but I still like to know. 

Facebook and Google have a system in place that handles death, which could also be used for incapacitated people in comas or paralyzed people.  I'm not sure how Facebook works, but i think there's an option to grant someone else custody of the account.  I think Google has a similar option, and i think they also have an option to delete the account if you don't reply within a certain time frame.

I'm not sure Linden Labs would implement something like this anytime soon though, because everything in SL is antiquated.  To put it in perspective, SL came out in 2003.  Way before Facebook and Youtube.  There have been so many internet standards since then, and i don't see LL adapting their framework to modern times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nextio said:

I'm not sure Linden Labs would implement something like this anytime soon though

Actually, Linden Lab *does* have a policy for this. There is even a relatively recent thread about (someone with a terminal condition actually asking others to bequeath to). Go into the FAQ and Wiki and you can find that information. The idea is to be proactive and set up your beneficiaries beafore hand.

• Like 2

Luckly, nobody I have been close with died (I know how blessed I am by that).

But each winter, when I decorate my parcel a bit more seasonal, I put out a small group of white bird statues. They look like snowballs on stick legs, with tiny black eyes and a pointy beak. Those birds where gifted to me by a man, that frequented another (german) SL forum, after I commented on a picture he posted there, which had those birds in them. They weren't expensive, actually I think they were freebies...but the efford counts.

I didn't know much about him, only that he had a child avatar and made up for his not ideal RL childhood. But it was the first RL death within SL, that I experianced.

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

I've been to several in-world memorials for in-world friends that have passed away.

Shady Fox

Nin Maximus

Fox Obviate

Morton Wheels

Shady was such a dear friend, I nearly quit SL because it hurt too much to be on and know my friend could no longer be there.Even now, five and a half years later, it still hurts when I visit the memorial the Tinies put up in his memory.

• Like 3

Well, I am rather glad this thread popped up again ... seeing as in the last eight months I have lost two dear friends who I spent a fair amount of time with, in SL.

Sadly, it seems the Memorial Park's flower planting system is ... glitchy.

Thankfully I do have my own ways to remember/memorialize the two lost friends.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2

On 5/23/2019 at 12:02 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Maybe we should all say our final farewells right now in a new thread. In case we don't get the luxury to do so.

It's morbid, I know.

This got me choked up a bit, just thinking in my head what I would say :( I don't think I would want to share that on the forums lol

Edit: I have thought of putting a notecard in my inventory with the persons name on it who I want my account to go to, just as a last message type thing.

Edited by Malin Sabra
added
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.