Inventory Cleaning

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am so at a loss as to what to do with my inventory.....I have 280,000 items....I know, I know....But a lot of it is "Vintage" SL, lol. I have clothing from Last Call still 😂

The OLD stuff I don't really want to get rid of due to nostalgia even though I cant use it anymore it would be a shame to just delete it I think, but a lot of it is no transfer so I cant just send it to a storage Avatar. Then you have the zillions of things I don't even know WHAT they are, lol. I'm terrified to delete something and find out months later it was something I NEEDED and cant get anymore because the creator has left SL. Then there is the new stuff....which I TRY to keep organized 🙄

SOOOO....what does everyone ELSE do when it comes to their older SL stuff that they don't want to delete.....are there any organizing programs out there that I don't know about? 🤔

280,000?!

I've been clearing out two generations of accumulation in RL and it's been worth it. There have been several instances of regret when I discover I need something just days after getting rid of it, but the overall improvement in the quality of my life more than makes up for it. The terror you feel over discarding things understandable yet irrational. You have a limited amount of time left in SL. Do you want to spend it preparing to remember, or experiencing anew?

Burn it all to the ground and start over.

ETA: If you want to keep everything, don't spend time trying to organize it. Organize only the new stuff you acquire.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

I box everything I don't use often and organize it much the same way as I do my folders. If you build, texture organizers are a must. They prevent you from having thousands of "loose" textures in inventory, allowing you to delete the ones you used in a project once it is completed without losing anything.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 4

I purge it with fire.

The first thing I did with legacy system clothes was to create a folder and move everything in to it.  Then if there was anything in it I needed later I pulled it out and put it back in inventory.  After a few weeks, I deleted the legacy folder.  Several hundred pairs of shoes alone gone in a flash.  But I would never wear them again anyway.

I have done the same thing with Standard Sizes, too. 

And no copy.  I don't need no copy things.  Purged and gone.

I recently (as in just today) went back through my housewares folders looking for high prim pre-mesh items to get rid of.  There are so many better things out now for much less land impact it is just impractical to use or keep the old stuff.

I understand sentimentality.  I have a few things like that.  Presents from special people.  A prim dress someone made for me when I help them learn to start building.  A few textures and pictures of special people.  But other than those few which are maybe a dozen things, I get rid of old stuff just like I do IRL.

• Like 6

for old clothes - I box things up and then put the boxes in boxes and thanks god I've never had to try and pull stuff out of there because I doubt that I could find it. I love to just dump everything in a folder and put a date on the folder. It's what I usually do after a shopping spree.  Then I do the hard work of actually filing things where I can find them easily when I have spare time.  I never have spare time though so I have a year and a halfs worth of dated folders that need to be sorted and filed intelligently.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

for old clothes - I box things up and then put the boxes in boxes and thanks god I've never had to try and pull stuff out of there because I doubt that I could find it. I love to just dump everything in a folder and put a date on the folder. It's what I usually do after a shopping spree.  Then I do the hard work of actually filing things where I can find them easily when I have spare time.  I never have spare time though so I have a year and a halfs worth of dated folders that need to be sorted and filed intelligently.

Now I don't feel so bad about all the folders I've got from hunts and closeout sales that I haven't yet gone through.

• Like 1

If you have a lot of clothes from a single store, you can create one folder named after the store and drop everything from that store into it. Clothing is usually named in a way that all similar items will appear together in the folder. Then toss everything but the actual clothes such as landmarks, note-cards, etc. Another way is to organize by making a folder for each clothing type such as dresses, pants, shirts, shoes, etc and drop different clothing into each folder.

As to starting the sorting project, you could make a single folder named "to be sorted" and toss all of your clothing folders, avatar parts folders, vehicles, houses, etc, into the folder. That way all of your old gear is separated from your avatar's current library and you can start buying new items without mixing them up with the old. From there, it's just a matter of taking a few minutes a day to sort through a few items and simply set it aside if you are distracted by something in SL. There's no need to sort everything in a single day.

• Like 2

I have my inventory separated out into folders. I spent a day once sorting it all. For example under clothes there’s Mesh and System and inside those are Pants, Tops etc etc. The rest of my inv is sorted out into different folder for different texture sets like grass, stone etc and folders for building components that contain sub folders of decoration, walls, misc.

took me a while to get it done but since doing it my inventory is wayyyyy easier to manage and track things down

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.