Old Fashioned SL Land Grab - LH Builds Available to (all/premiums)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I remember in the olden days, the Lindens used to do the land grabs, open regions that were 512 plots and everyone came running and they cost 512L to buy your 512 parcel and then land barons would offer unknowing newer people 2K for their 512 and the rest is history....

But what if the Lindens did that now as kind of a waiting list ? 

If you grabbed your 1024 plot then everyone that had one could set up tents etc, nothing permanent really just a fun little community of waiting for proper Linden Homes land. It would be hilariously funny for some I can imagine, but could really give the Lindens a sense of exactly how many people are wanting and waiting. People could also grab the land that is showing the kind of build they want, as in Regions A - K  are Houseboats and Regions L - Z are houses. Then in the interim those premium members are also getting their 1024 parcel to play with while they wait. 

I would also love it if the Linden Homes were available to premium members as some kind of option like with the monthly gifts or even in the library, some people may want to use them on their own lands or just for those that want to build for them, they could rez them out at their studios/building platforms etc and not have to take up a space just to have access to the numbers .

Just a thought :D 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, belindacarson said:

I still don't see the hubbub with the new homes.

Me neither but some people like them, so why not?

31 minutes ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

I would also love it if the Linden Homes were available to premium members as some kind of option like with the monthly gifts or even in the library, some people may want to use them on their own lands or just for those that want to build for them, they could rez them out at their studios/building platforms etc and not have to take up a space just to have access to the numbers .

I doubt that will work well because those houses have exceptionally high land impact. It's not a problem when LL covers it but if you have a regular 1024, would you really want to spend almost 300 of your 350 prim quota on a fairly small house?

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

The First Land program was an absolute blast ;) Complete with the 2d avatar of a certain cartoon dog hanging around trying to buy it all up - think they went as high as offering 5k for a 512. The only caveat that would have to be different is that it stipulated that it did have to be your first (well, only) land to qualify. Kept that plot for ages.

Aside from that, could be a fun thing to do and fits in with the current SSP craze. (Not my bag but people seem to  be into it so why ever not).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I doubt that will work well because those houses have exceptionally high land impact. It's not a problem when LL covers it but if you have a regular 1024, would you really want to spend almost 300 of your 350 prim quota on a fairly small house?

I agree on that about the prims, but some that may want to build for them, may have the prims to do so, it would give people the tools available, I want to build an add on for a houseboat for my friend, and play around with it etc, to do so I either need to stand around her land while I do, or get a houseboat myself, my land allotment is already used. 

I could imagine it would be fun for a bit to just have a slew of houseboats out on private regions just for fun, or some may want to use them as backgrounds etc as props for layout and so on. just having the option when they are builds we would have available if we took up the option.

6 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Yeah - no, let's not bring that abomination back.

Just as temp land :) I understand it is not a good plan for long term, as that would just be bringing back mainland messes, but to park yourself until the rest are ready would be neat, it might even have some realise that all the build up excitement may not be as exciting when they try and live in that small a space, and they move on rather than take up a house/boat when they go live again. Plus it would just be fun :P

10 minutes ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

I could imagine it would be fun for a bit to just have a slew of houseboats out on private regions just for fun, or some may want to use them as backgrounds etc as props for layout and so on. just having the option when they are builds we would have available if we took up the option.

There are already hundreds of different houseboat models on MP and without knowing any of them in details, I would presume that some of them are better than the Belisseria ones. If not, I'll make a few. A stationary houseboat is just a raft with a simple beach house on it after all. Have to find a good teak texture though, it's not a proper houseboat fi there's no teak in it somewhere.

44 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

There are already hundreds of different houseboat models on MP and without knowing any of them in details, I would presume that some of them are better than the Belisseria ones. If not, I'll make a few. A stationary houseboat is just a raft with a simple beach house on it after all. Have to find a good teak texture though, it's not a proper houseboat fi there's no teak in it somewhere.

I know :) I rezzed pieces that I made on my land so that I could make a trim for my friend, and I have to keep going back and forth. My other friend is obsessed with decorating them, she would do all at once if she could https://gyazo.com/0f65405b3aaee675de0d66a2d803e808  this is the cleanest our platform has ever been since the LH went live :) if she could see how things would look in various builds, she may settle on one or just might swap them out as needed. We may or may not be the only ones that do things like this, we are an odd bunch no denying. So it was just a thought on how it could be fun or easier to work with. We have many builds, no lacking in ones of all sizes and shapes and prim counts, just wanted to play with these for a bit :)

p.s I want to play too :P I want to play with making things that fit them, just a wish ♥

Edited by Sasy Scarborough
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

I know :)

Now you tell me! I've already started on the first! :P

1 hour ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

this is the cleanest our platform has ever been since the LH went live

Looks like the hoard work platforms of some of my gatcha collecting friends, except theirs aren't nearly as tidy as this.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 1:41 AM, sirhc DeSantis said:

The First Land program was an absolute blast ;) Complete with the 2d avatar of a certain cartoon dog hanging around trying to buy it all up - think they went as high as offering 5k for a 512. The only caveat that would have to be different is that it stipulated that it did have to be your first (well, only) land to qualify. Kept that plot for ages.

Aside from that, could be a fun thing to do and fits in with the current SSP craze. (Not my bag but people seem to  be into it so why ever not).

Yes, it was "first land" - and LL would "unlock" a new region once every few days (or maybe per week?). I *STILL* Have the very first landmark I ever created, which goes to that little parcel in the Glenboon regions (First-land is just one of those memories that will never go away for me LOL)

On 5/20/2019 at 3:54 AM, belindacarson said:

I still don't see the hubbub with the new homes.

More land-impact allowance to decorate with; 1024 instead of 512m2; often more of a buffer between homes; better landscaping to look at out the window; outdoor space to play with that old Linden homes don't allow.  Some people are house-proud and home-seeking in Second Life. Whether or not the home itself is a treat to look at, being able to set out double the decor is a treat for decorators.  SL Marketplace probably enjoys the profits, too, as every finished home advertises itself for the next unfinished home.

Increasing the prim allowance for the older homes would be a nice consolation prize for the majority of premium subscribers who still have old homes, while those old-home regions begin to empty as the new-home regions increase occupancy.  Increasing the prim allowance from 117 to 175 was a fun thing to do, a few years ago.

On 5/24/2019 at 6:03 PM, Annwren said:

More land-impact allowance to decorate with; 1024 instead of 512m2; often more of a buffer between homes; better landscaping to look at out the window; outdoor space to play with that old Linden homes don't allow.

The new Linden Homes may also have slightly less lag than the old. I did a quick test and only got a very slight difference in my fps so it may not be significant but was consistent. (The reason the old Linden Home regions are so laggy, is that they are full of sculpts.) (Edit: I spoke too soon. I revisited a Belisseria sim I checked a few days ago right after I posted this and got far more lag than I've ever seen in an old Linden Home region. I can think of two reasons for this but since there was very little difference to start with I suppose the answer is that the old and new are similar enough in "base lag" it depends on how people use them.)

I was going to say that the increased land impact shouldn't matter much but I had the sense to check a ranfdomly selected old Linden Home sim first and it turns out there are actually quite a few there that use more than 100 prims.

---

This is off topic but I did check a few other things while I was there (and yes, you are right, I don't have a life) and in case anybody are interested, here are the results:

Vacancies: 17 out of the 50 houses were vacant. This was however one of the first batch of Meadowbrook regions with four quads and they've always have lots of vacancies (there's a reason why LL avoided the quads when they added more regions later). Of the singles 6 of 44 were vacant. Obviously there hasn't been any mass migration to Belisseria from this region at least but there were slightly more vacancies than I had expected.

Traffic: Four of the houses had traffic counts 35, 36, 146 and 192 respectively. All the others had 0 traffic. The common park also had 0 traffic and so did (of course) the vacant houses. This is about the same I've seen before and it just demonstrates what has always been obvious: Most of the Linden Home owners don't actually use their houses anymore.

Prim use:

• 0: 6 houses (not including the vacant ones)
  • 1-10: 2 houses
  • 11-50: 5 houses
  • 51-100: 9 houses
  • 101-150: 5 houses
  • >150: 6 houses

Highest number: 170

Edited by ChinRey
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2019 at 8:38 AM, Sasy Scarborough said:

But what if the Lindens did that now as kind of a waiting list ? 

If you grabbed your 1024 plot then everyone that had one could set up tents etc, nothing permanent really just a fun little community of waiting for proper Linden Homes land. It would be hilariously funny for some I can imagine, but could really give the Lindens a sense of exactly how many people are wanting and waiting. People could also grab the land that is showing the kind of build they want, as in Regions A - K  are Houseboats and Regions L - Z are houses. Then in the interim those premium members are also getting their 1024 parcel to play with while they wait. 

It's doubt it's gonna happen, and not sure it would work in practice,  but I on the face of it it seems like a nice idea...I'm sure I have a tent somewhere in my inventory....:) Would still be like a land grab, with not everyone able to get what they want.

I don't know for sure but I suspect that the beach positions will always be the most in demand, but there are fewer of those compared to inland spots (from the map). So some will be dissappointed. I'm wondering now if there'll be another continent in the future too - I estimate they can fit an average 20-30 homes in one region (let's assume it's the same for houseboats), and it looks like there are about 500 regions on the continent (judging by numbers shown the SSP copy), with about 50 which are not habitable as they are water spaces. So let's say about 450 regions x 30 homes = 13,500 homes. Patch has mentioned there are over 38,000 home to replace, so Belliseria won't hold them all (unless some will be in the sky or underground...I doubt it...). Maybe another continent will house the next themes. Unless I've completely balls'ed up on the figures lol! Just fun to speculate:)

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia

50 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

I estimate they can fit an average 20-30 homes in one region (let's assume it's the same for houseboats)

There seem to be a fixed 24 housing units per region.

50 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Patch has mentioned there are over 38,000 home to replace, so Belliseria won't hold them all (unless some will be in the sky or underground...I doubt it...). Maybe another continent will house the next themes.

They've already announced they are planning more continents.

As for replacing the old Linden Homes, unless LL is willing to evict paying premium members, they'll have to wait until those houses are vacant. Apparently LL expected people to flock from the old to the new houses the same way they didn't flock from SL to Sansar but if there was going to be a mass migration, we should have seen clear signs of it by now. It's going to be very interesting to see how LL deal with this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Belliseria is a failure, so far it seems to be doing quite well. But maybe it's better to see it as an addition to rather than a replacement for the old Linden Homes.

Edited by ChinRey

6 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

There seem to be a fixed 24 housing units per region.

They've already announced they are planning more continents.

As for replacing the old Linden Homes, unless LL is willing to evict paying premium members, they'll have to wait until those houses are vacant. Apparently LL expected people to flock from the old to the new houses the same way they didn't flock from SL to Sansar but if there was going to be a mass migration, we should have seen clear signs of it by now. It's going to be very interesting to see how LL deal with this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Belliseria is a failure, so far it seems to be doing quite well. But maybe it's better to see it as an addition to rather than a replacement for the old Linden Homes.

It's been mentioned by LL that all the first gen homes will eventually be replaced by all the new themes coming, so it would be a replacement:) It'll just take a bit of time.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia

3 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

It's been mentioned by LL that all the first gen homes will eventually be replaced by all the new themes coming, so it would be a replacement:) It'll just take a bit of time.

Yes, that is LL's plan but the question is how. If they're going to let the old regions to empty themselves "naturally", they have to be ready to wait for many years - maybe as much as a decade or more.

Look at the figures from the casual survey in my post from yeaterday. I've done similar surveys before and the results have always been pretty much the same. These sims are ghost towns. Only a few of the houses are actually in use, the rest are effectively abandoned and they've been abandoned for years. From that perspective LL might as well close the sims down right away. But those ghost tenants still pay the rent and if the 38,000+ figure Patch mentioned is the number of existing Linden Homes, there must be about 30,000 of them. For LL that's more than 2 million dollars a year in income. They should think twice before they give up on that.

I actually spoke to a friend the other day, she had no idea about the new regions and has an old linden home, she wants to move but all are taken, so she is parking so to speak, probably the same for many, maybe they should give those people priority so they can clear them out. Not priority on where just priority on a swap.

On 5/31/2019 at 2:05 PM, ChinRey said:

Yes, that is LL's plan but the question is how.

Good question. I would expect once all the themes have been finally released they'll issue some kind of notice that anyone still with a first gen home needs to abandon it and choose a new theme one before a particular date. After that date they'll no longer be able to access the old home (I expect they'll block access to those regions/continent).

3 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Good question. I would expect once all the themes have been finally released they'll issue some kind of notice that anyone still with a first gen home needs to abandon it and choose a new theme one before a particular date. After that date they'll no longer be able to access the old home (I expect they'll block access to those regions/continent).

Yes but what if they don't want to move and decide to quit instead? What if they don't even see or read the notice? I've talked at length about this in other threads and I suppose some people are tired of it so I won't do another round. Let's see what happens.

In the meantime, here's some music.

Edited by ChinRey

I look at the old homes as sort of this temporary idea.. It definitely is for me! I'd never had a Linden home before, always went with parcels I bought, mostly because the old ones look so bad. But this week I got one of the old 512 ones, for the first time ever, as I wait to be able to get one of the better ones. I wanted to make sure I was in the clear, since I still have a deeded to group parcel. (I had my premium alt cover the donation when I decided to do this) So while not as fun as the tent city idea, the holding area is already in place.. sort of.

10 hours ago, Morena Tully said:

I look at the old homes as sort of this temporary idea.. It definitely is for me! I'd never had a Linden home before, always went with parcels I bought, mostly because the old ones look so bad. But this week I got one of the old 512 ones, for the first time ever, as I wait to be able to get one of the better ones. I wanted to make sure I was in the clear, since I still have a deeded to group parcel. (I had my premium alt cover the donation when I decided to do this) So while not as fun as the tent city idea, the holding area is already in place.. sort of.

That is a good use of them, to use the old until the new, to at least get what you have joined up for having some land with some room to rez etc.

14 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Yes but what if they don't want to move and decide to quit instead? What if they don't even see or read the notice? I've talked at length about this in other threads and I suppose some people are tired of it so I won't do another round. Let's see what happens.

In the meantime, here's some music.

Lol, I think the cover photo is quite apt, considering houseboats are still in demand...

There are bound to be some people that just haven't logged in for a while, or don't check email etc. and won't get the notice. Not much LL can do about that I think. When they do eventually log in they'll just find themselves homeless with their objects returned to inventory . As for not wanting to move...they don't really have a choice. Hopefully there'll be a good enough variety of themes and styles that they'll find one they are happy to take (and if there are enough left!), rather than quit.

54 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

As for not wanting to move...they don't really have a choice.

Yes, they do have a choice, they can move or can leave SL - or maybe downgrade to basic membership and skip the house owner part. That's fair enough but the question is how many premium members will LL loose this way? If there are only a few, it won't be a problem but if it turns out to be thousands of them it would seriously hurt LL's revenue.

The answer to the question is anybody's guess. It can be anything from a few hundred to more than 20,000. If I had to place a bet, I'd say around 15,000 but maybe I'm too pessimistic. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 10:37 PM, Sasy Scarborough said:

she wants to move but all are taken, so she is parking so to speak, probably the same for many, maybe they should give those people priority so they can clear them out. Not priority on where just priority on a swap.

Living in an older linden home sim is now like ghetto life haha. Life in the projects...and like many real life projects, they will be cleared out and torn down. So many real world analogies!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.