Jump to content
  • 0
Noel Loordes

Popup notifications, while Second Life is running in the background?

Question

I am often idling around a friend's place while doing something else on my PC. Is there some client that allows getting notifications about new IMs, that are visible without bringing the client to the foreground? E.g. as tray-icon, as popup or as blinking of the window in the task bar upon unread content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
2 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Firestorm can do that

Thanks for the hint. Sadly, it doesn't seem to work, possibly related to Growl being discontinued.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I think it's about time Growl support was retired, It doesn't appear to be free anymore (at least on OSX) and there has been some drama over users finding it automatically installed in the past. It's not like there aren't OS native notifications now on both Windows and OSX, and I'm sure such code would be a welcome contribution to the official client.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I think it's about time Growl support was retired, It doesn't appear to be free anymore (at least on OSX) and there has been some drama over users finding it automatically installed in the past. It's not like there aren't OS native notifications now on both Windows and OSX, and I'm sure such code would be a welcome contribution to the official client.

On Windows, "Tray tips", sometimes emulated, have always been common for messenging apps, even without native support. Tray icons were traditionally used to give numerical "number of new messages" indicators. Honestly, for laptops and PCs that worked much better than the Win10 notification center, and notably Skype still uses that system.

Edited by Noel Loordes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Well, you are SUPPOSED to be PAYING ATTENTION, for cryin' out loud.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I use Firestorm with Growl on windows 10.  When Firestorm is minimized or in the background, Growl and Firestorm work together just fine to let me know about a variety of events, especially instant messages.

As for local chat, I have a HUD I can turn on if no one is talking. The HUD will listen and send me an instant message if someone says something.  Firestorm tells growl which then notifies me that "somebody said something."  ((Don't worry, I don't monitor the local chat that way when people are chatting, as that, I hear, is too laggy.))

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, sandi Mexicola said:

I use Firestorm with Growl on windows 10.  When Firestorm is minimized or in the background, Growl and Firestorm work together just fine to let me know about a variety of events, especially instant messages.

As for local chat, I have a HUD I can turn on if no one is talking. The HUD will listen and send me an instant message if someone says something.  Firestorm tells growl which then notifies me that "somebody said something."  ((Don't worry, I don't monitor the local chat that way when people are chatting, as that, I hear, is too laggy.))

Weird... I'll try more.

Thanks for the hint with the HUD; By any chance, is it a commercial one or self-written?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 minutes ago, Noel Loordes said:

Weird... I'll try more.

Thanks for the hint with the HUD; By any chance, is it a commercial one or self-written?

I wrote, and am still writing the HUD.  It is not really sellable as the setup is complicated ((gotta install growl and change the settings on that, for one thing)).  And the menu structure is not something a sane person would easily understand!  :P   However, if you are interested, contact me in-world, or in here, or somehow, and I would not mind setting you up with one and teaching you the basics of how it works.  That might help you, and it would help me too, as you might find bugs I haven't found yet. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 hours ago, Noel Loordes said:

Weird... I'll try more.

Turns out that all that was needed was a reboot after installing Growl.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

Based on the explanations I whipped together my own "local chat" script. Very basic, but sufficient.

Most important improvement would be a facility to automatically disable it, when the viewer is focused...

// Mirror LocalChat in llOwnerSay.
// Meant to enable listening for local chat in Growl.
//
// Usage:
// 1. Put script into a prim, put prim into your hud.
// 2. Click prim containing the script to toggle mirroring of local chat.


integer g_listen_handle = 0;

do_touch()
{
    if(g_listen_handle)
    {
        llListenRemove(g_listen_handle);
        g_listen_handle = 0;
        llOwnerSay("(stopped listening)");
    }
    else
    {
        g_listen_handle = llListen(PUBLIC_CHANNEL, "", NULL_KEY, "");
        llOwnerSay("(started listening)");
    }   
}

say_as(string name, string message)
{
    string oldname = llGetObjectName();
    llSetObjectName(name);
    llInstantMessage(llGetOwner(), message);
    llSetObjectName(oldname);
}

default
{
    state_entry()
    {
        llOwnerSay("(started)");
        do_touch(); // Initialize
    }

    touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        integer i;
        for(i=0;i<total_number;i++) do_touch();
    }
    
    listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)
    {
        say_as(name, message);
    }
}

 

Edited by Noel Loordes
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hey, nice work!  There is an idea for automatic disabling that I use, which doesn't quite fit your criteria, but works for me.  If my HUD hears me say something in local chat, it stops listening.  The presumption is that if I am talking in local, I am also reading what others are saying.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
15 hours ago, sandi Mexicola said:

Hey, nice work!  There is an idea for automatic disabling that I use, which doesn't quite fit your criteria, but works for me.  If my HUD hears me say something in local chat, it stops listening.  The presumption is that if I am talking in local, I am also reading what others are saying.  :)

Probably won't for for me. My common use-case would be tabbing out of SL, and kind of forgetting I'm still logged in, so it would need to automatically detect, if there is user interaction ^^'

Or reading on the Sofa while having the PC in looking range, but idling in some home Sim, and occasionally looking to see if someone has dropped by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...