Is using tattoo and underwear layers at the same time possible?

Musicgirlwtf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everybody! 

I am in need of assistance here... I have a tattoo that I am using with my Maitreya Lara in the tattoo layer (without masking mode). 

I have just purchased a lingerie garment and using the mesh applier hud chose the underwear layer to put it on... and my tattoo disappears almost entirely ... :( :( :( 

The garment and the tattoo go together just fine for a couple a seconds but then the tattoo starts to vanish. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if it is just not possible to have both items on me at the same time (apparently they could be used at the same time cause for brief seconds I could take a picture!).

I am attaching pictures: 1) tattoo only; 2) lingerie only; 3) tattoo and lingerie problem and 4) desired look for both tattoo and lingerie

Thank you in advance for the help!

Mia

1 - tattoo only.jpg

2 - lingerie only.jpg

3 - problem look.jpg

4 - desired look.jpg

• Like 1

This is the good old OpenGL alpha bug, and it means that - unless you mask one of those layers - you can't wear them both at the same time without one of them glitching.

The solution is to wear the tattoo in blend mode on the tattoo layer, then have a visible (but with nothing on it) underwear layer that's masked, then add the underwear in blend mode on the clothing layer. The masked layer between the two blended ones will allow them both to show.

45 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

This is the good old OpenGL alpha bug, and it means that - unless you mask one of those layers - you can't wear them both at the same time without one of them glitching.

The solution is to wear the tattoo in blend mode on the tattoo layer, then have a visible (but with nothing on it) underwear layer that's masked, then add the underwear in blend mode on the clothing layer. The masked layer between the two blended ones will allow them both to show.

Thank you so much for your help! Unfortunately, the glitch persists :( :( although doing what you suggested appear to work for a while, and at least the top part of my tattoo is now visible even with the lingerie on :) 

Did you ensure that you masked the underwear layer on all sections of your body? Not sure which one you're using, but they usually come with both and upper and lower half, at minimum. Since the top half appears to work now, check that the bottom half is equally blend/mask/blend when it comes to layering.

If it weren't for the sheer stockings I'd suggest just masking the underwear itself. As it's ribbon straps and not delicate lace it should hold up pretty well to masking. However, those stockings won't look good if masked.

3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Did you ensure that you masked the underwear layer on all sections of your body? Not sure which one you're using, but they usually come with both and upper and lower half, at minimum. Since the top half appears to work now, check that the bottom half is equally blend/mask/blend when it comes to layering.

If it weren't for the sheer stockings I'd suggest just masking the underwear itself. As it's ribbon straps and not delicate lace it should hold up pretty well to masking. However, those stockings won't look good if masked.

I think I have masked all sections but will double check :)

And you are right about the stockings... when they are masked they look ... "not good" lol

Thanks again for helping me with this!

10 minutes ago, khry5 said:

I have these issues too. Couldn't LL fix this? I haven't quite understood the bake on mesh. But could it be a way to solve these bugs?

What bakes-on-mesh can do is eliminate the need to put the tattoo on a transparent layer the way it is now - it can be combined with the skin texture into a single texture. Then the stockings could be worn on a separate body layer and there would be no glitching. The stockings could also be combined with the skin texture but that will limit options for "materials", etc. In order for it to work you'd need both your skin and tattoo to be a "wearable" instead of an applier. The makers of your skin and tattoo can turn an applier skin/tattoo into a wearable one fairly easily but it's not something you can do yourself [legally].

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Theresa is right. I'll use different words and hope to give you a larger idea of what BoM is doing.

BoM is a compositing service. Think of layers in Photoshop or GIMP. You save a composite of all the layers as an image for upload to SL or wherever. BoM is doing the same thing. It takes the diffuse texture images and 'bakes', meaning composite, all the images into a single image (the typical result is one head, one upper body, and one lower body image). BoM is increasing the number and size of returned images and the places where they can be used.

BoM does not extend to transparency, normal, and specular mapping. Material has never been part of the classic avatar. That is not changing with BoM. The bake service is not being extended to handle those. It is being talked about. So, for the immediate future appliers will be needed for normal and specular mapping. Transparency will be handled in BoM just as it is with the classic body, via transparency maps and classic avatar layers.

There is a problem in deciding how normal and specular maps would be combined into a composite. Specular doesn't seem that difficult as whatever diffuse texture is on top could rule the specular layers with the respective maps combining in the same order.

Normal maps can get complex. Do raised parts of an item add to the height and if so how much? What about says lace patterns? Do, they really effect the layer above? Think a lace bra and blouse... I might want the lace bra to have a nice 3D effect on its own. Put on a blouse and I want that to cover the 3D pattern not show through.

The challenge in Norm and Spec map compositing isn't  whether it is possible but in what a workable solution would require for automated baking. It seems we would need to supply the engine more information about what we want. Also, the engine would likely limit what we could do.

So for now and possibly forever, Norm and Spec mapping is going to be left in the realm of appliers for mesh bodies.

There are ongoing talks about how BoM may be extended. The Content Creators' UG lead by Vir Linden is where it is talked about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.