how to apply texture to an avatar

actualkon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So im new to secondlife and I've been working my way around learning, taking freebies, etc. I got some makeup and tattoo freebies, and they are a texture. I dont know how to apply this texture to my avatar. I've tried selecting my body and going to the edit mode and going to textures, but a little lock pops up over the texture box. Do i have to take my Slink body off or select an option in the SLink body hud??

Sometimes creators include a texture to show what the makeup/tat looks like, this cannot be applied. the actual thing you need to apply looks like a pink squiggly thing for system bodies/heads, for non system bodies it looks like a cube with the name of the bodies it will work on. If it doesn't have a cube icon with slink then you can't use it

I think, Slink have at store some free kit (but not totally sure about it), like developer kit, where are scripts for make huds for body appliers, I'm sure, there will be some guide also about it, how to create it. Also depend, how look that texture, cause it can be only preview, or is texture on UV map.

If you buy for your Slink body Omega relay, you can also create easy body appliers for body. Relay for specific bodies and scripts for it are at Omega store inworld, or at Marketplace.

TP to Omega

Marketplace Omega for Slink bodies

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 2:35 AM, actualkon said:

So im new to secondlife and I've been working my way around learning, taking freebies, etc. I got some makeup and tattoo freebies, and they are a texture. I dont know how to apply this texture to my avatar. I've tried selecting my body and going to the edit mode and going to textures, but a little lock pops up over the texture box. Do i have to take my Slink body off or select an option in the SLink body hud??

Unfortunately you can't use makeup textures they are kind of advertising for the product: clothes lipsticks...etc. for Slink or other mesh bodies you need to look for things called appliers. They are different for each body. But if you get Omega Kit for yoir Slink body any Omega compatible skin outfit or makeup will work

What you can use depends on several things.

• What body are you wearing?  The "classic" avatar body supports a number of texture layers...skin, tattoo, and various clothing layers such as undershirt, shirt, jacket, etc.  Each layer type has its own special symbol in your inventory.  Makeup for classic avatars is often integral to the skin.  However, third party makeup in the form of tattoos is also available.
  • If you're wearing a mesh body, skin, tattoo, and makeup is worn through means of an "applier", a small HUD that "applies" the texture to your mesh body or head.
  • If you really do have a TEXTURE version of the makeup/tattoo (it has the inventory symbol of a little checkerboard), then you can use that texture to create a tattoo for a classic body, by downloading it to your computer and using it in a program like GIMP or Photoshop, and then uploading the result to SL.  You will want to download some clothing and/or skin templates (several are available for free around the net.)
  • You can also use a texture file and an applier to get that texture onto a mesh body or head.  You'll need to get the "creator's kit" sold or given away by the maker of your target body or head. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.