3d mouse 🐭 , - Wrist pain Solutions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Update: to be clear - this is all about my wrist pain and I got really excited to find out there may be better options than an old mouse.

Now Also looking at video game controller or vertical mouse 

original post bellow: 

I have been on and off Sl for 8 years and tearing up my wrist .... only for a friend that is not on Sl suggest (do we have a word for outsiders?) I get a 3d mouse. I start researching and find out this is a major thing in SL. Lindens even made a page about it.

Now I really want to buy one. Anyone have suggestions?  

Look - http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SpaceNavigator

We should tell everyone 

Granted I have not tried it yet,

Edited by Louminca
clarity

It's not a major thing. It's a piece of hardware the Lindens decided might add to the appeal of Second Life for content creators.

Traditional Mouse causing you hand/wrist issues? Get a vertical mouse. Not a SpaceNavigator, a vertical mouse.

41QbLJ0AhcL.jpg

Like the above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't find my SpaceNavigator helpful in build mode, when I usually really don't want to spin what I'm working on around. I find it a bit meh as an avatar controller, probably because I've not practiced enough to develop the lightness of touch and the precision it seems to need. But in flycam mode it's a really nice accessory to have, whether building, photographing or touring.

Where it really comes into its own is in Blender (and, presumably, any other 3D modelling program). I'd happily continue to use SL without it, but I'd find using Blender with just the keyboard and the mouse a bit of a pain.

• Thanks 1

The Space Navigator used to work really well with SL.  Like KT, I found it more useful as an avatar controller than as a building controller.  The best use I found for it was as a camera controller for slow, steady camera moves for machinima.

But 3D Connexion messed everything up when they changed the drivers.  I've long since stopped using my Space Navigator for SL.

I've stuck with the SpaceNavigator driver version 6.18.0, the next update to which started inserting very irritating and intrusive dialog boxes whenever I activated it. I didn't see that version available on the 3D Connexion website (I didn't look very hard) but I do see it on some driver archive sites, which I'd be very wary of without a proper health check.

Maybe reverting to the driver version that came on the installation disk might work better for you. I seem to remember that worked fine for me with SL and Blender.

Yes for me it is all about wrist issues.

In RL i work with my hands, and all my hobbies use them too. I have given up knitting!

Okay @Solar Legion I never even head about a vertical mouse. I just might get that..

I just didnt know there were options.

What about using a video game controlsr or similar??

2 minutes ago, Louminca said:

Yes for me it is all about wrist issues.

In RL i work with my hands, and all my hobbies use them too. I have given up knitting!

Okay @Solar Legion I never even head about a vertical mouse. I just might get that..

I just didnt know there were options.

What about using a video game controlsr or similar??

That .... takes a bit of doing.

Some can get them to work using built in options in the client/viewer ... some find they don't. (Same optons for using a 3D mouse, by the by).

I did use a joystick for some things once - I used software called Joy2Key to do so.

• Thanks 1

I wouldnt go out a buy a new mouse until i took steps to work out the issue with the sore wrist. If its sore with a mouse you can bet it wont get better with a controller in your hands. (Ima console gamer 1st).

It might be how long you spend in sl as well? Take breaks, roll your wrist and flex your hands. Basic ergonomics. Ask a admin what they would do im sure they will have a answer for you. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have absolutely no experience with the SpaceNavigator or other kinds of 3D input devices.

But, as a writer, I often have wrist issues, to the point that I have to take painkillers every once in a while -- even though I've been using a Vertical Mouse for quite a few years now. But, that comes with daily computer usage of more than 8hrs a day in total, every day throughout each year. It's called "writer's disease" for a reason.

However, after using a background app called RSIBreak for some months a dozen years ago (on Windows, there's RSIGuard and others, with similar functions) I got used to taking a short break from the keyboard about every 45 to 50 minutes, in which I roll my wrists,  flex my hands, do some practice. Every 3 breaks or so, I go offline entirely to just lay down a bit,  then do chores, run errands, go out for a walk, or do other offline-stuff. 😎

Also, I bought wrist bandages recently which I regularly wear, so my wrists get some relief while I'm at the keyboard.

3775346_MULTINORM-Fuss-oder-Handgelenkba

Edited by ThorinII
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

I've stuck with the SpaceNavigator driver version 6.18.0, the next update to which started inserting very irritating and intrusive dialog boxes whenever I activated it. I didn't see that version available on the 3D Connexion website (I didn't look very hard) but I do see it on some driver archive sites, which I'd be very wary of without a proper health check.

Maybe reverting to the driver version that came on the installation disk might work better for you. I seem to remember that worked fine for me with SL and Blender.

Got any links?  I could not find that driver, on the 3D Connexion site or anywhere else.

I've been using a trackball for at least ten years now since I experienced soreness and pain like electric shocks in my wrists and elbow from constant mouse usage. I'm using a Logitech wireless trackball, the one with the thumb-controlled ball and I haven't had any wrist/arm pain since. I'm a gamer and an artist and I can pretty much do everything I used to do with a mouse. It's also fun to watch people walk up to my desk and try to push the trackball around like a mouse.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I've been using a trackball for at least ten years now since I experienced soreness and pain like electric shocks in my wrists and elbow from constant mouse usage. I'm using a Logitech wireless trackball, the one with the thumb-controlled ball and I haven't had any wrist/arm pain since. I'm a gamer and an artist and I can pretty much do everything I used to do with a mouse. It's also fun to watch people walk up to my desk and try to push the trackball around like a mouse.

Ive always wondered about a trackball. I use a scimitar pro, its heavy and if i spend to long using it my hands and wrist start to hurt.

Might look into a trackball. 

8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Got any links?  I could not find that driver, on the 3D Connexion site or anywhere else.

I can't find any links myself now, and I can't remember where I thought I'd seen it before, but the dates for some of the drivers on 3DConnexion's driver archive page do go back a few years so it might be worth trying some of the older ones.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.