Jump to content

Show homes are prohibited adverts ....


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You said similar to me, when I posted The Drowned Mouse arcade in group chat: that you "wouldn't want to live next door to that, or even on the same sim". The actual neighbors, however, have had no co

The open house is simply that, an open house. It doesn't have my brand name on it, my parcel is named Apple Pie. It's not an Apple Fall Open House, it's an open house which happens to be owned by me (

Indeed, this topic has run its course and I feel it's time to...  

Posted Images

If all they have is a sign with their name on it (not a billboard, just a small tasteful sign), then I think you are being too harsh. You're basically saying I can put a sign in my yard with my name on it, but A.F. cannot?

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think where it is possibly border line is that some of the items in the house give the pop-up description when you mouse over them and that could be seen as possible advertising.  If folks want to know what a specific item is, they can edit it and find out.  

It's a fine line.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The rule isn't "Only subtle, tasteful advertising from brands you like" it's very clearly "none"

I doubt the reaction would be the same if there was an publicly listed and sign posted open house full of one brands pose ball rezzing sex toys owned by the creator of said sex toys who's profile, should you care to look was "hey look here where I sell all these sex toys".

Sure, I sell a few things .. am i a competitor .. flattering as that might be, hardly. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CoffeeDujour said:

The rule isn't "Only subtle, tasteful advertising from brands you like" it's very clearly "none"

I doubt the reaction would be the same if there was an publicly listed and sign posted open house full of one brands pose ball rezzing sex toys owned by the creator of said sex toys who's profile, should you care to look was "hey look here where I sell all these sex toys".

Sure, I sell a few things .. am i a competitor .. flattering as that might be, hardly. 

Not sure what the point is to post about it here, then. If they are not in compliance, send one of those friendly notecards people are always suggesting. I doubt the homeowners in question are going to see anything you say about them here. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather than quoting a policy from 2011, which was implemented for the old Linden Homes, why not look at the actual covenant from Bellisseria? 

The statements regarding advertising are only  as follows:

 *Linden Homes can not be shown in search.

  *Using prims or objects on parcels meant as advertisements on the world map is not allowed.

Those are the ONLY restrictions stated in the current covenant. There is nothing that prohibits a creator from owning a Linden home and decorating that home and then opening it to the public. No one is selling merchandise from their home. No one is rezzing objects that are seen in the world map.

Personally, I greatly enjoy seeing what creators do with their homes. I hope many more do the same. 

26 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I think where it is possibly border line is that some of the items in the house give the pop-up description when you mouse over them and that could be seen as possible advertising. 

Depending on how you have your settings you will see these popups in anything that contains a script. The creator has no control of how you set your settings. 

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Covenant also links to the Knowledge base

mbJUX92.png

We can only work on the presumption that Linden staff made sure their ducks were all in a line before they pushed the button. If the rules needed to be updated, they would have been.

The age of the rule is irrelevant.

There are plenty of very old rules in the ToS that will get you banned today.

Link to post
Share on other sites

However the land covenant explicitly states that sky boxes are allowed, this is an exception for this land only and does not apply to all Linden Homes.

No such exception has been written in for commercial activity or advertising.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

However the land covenant explicitly states that sky boxes are allowed, this is an exception for this land only and does not apply to all Linden Homes.

No such exception has been written in for commercial activity or advertising.

The point, which seems to be lost on you, is that you are quoting a policy that is not up to date. You remind me of another person who wanted to imply that our building add-ons was against the rules as well. It took Patch coming in here specifically and saying otherwise. No one has done anything wrong here. There is no advertising going on. Creators have every right to open their homes up to the public just as others have.

Why do you have to be this way?

  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no indication that the policy is out of date and I'm sure if it was, then it would be updated. LL are pretty good with that sort of thing.

I am not implying anything, the rules as published are clear.

Intent matters.

There is nothing to stop anyone making their home public.

However, the owner of Brand X creating a home, sign posting it encouraging visitors to "Brand X Show Home" where they might see all of Brand X's inventory in context of their own new home is an entirely different thing. This is absolutely marketing, and as such commercial activity.

If someone moved in to you next door IRL and invited you over to see their house, it would matter if the owner was an individual or IKEA. Even if you were unable to buy any of the things you saw at that location.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CoffeeDujour said:

However, the owner of Brand X creating a home, sign posting it encouraging visitors to "Brand X Show Home" where they might see all of Brand X's inventory in context of their own new home is an entirely different thing. This is absolutely marketing, and as such commercial activity.

Where have you seen this?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

The point, which seems to be lost on you, is that you are quoting a policy that is not up to date. You remind me of another person who wanted to imply that our building add-ons was against the rules as well. It took Patch coming in here specifically and saying otherwise.

 

Which is why I feel (inworld) moderation and/or sanctions are probably best left to authorized personnel: (aka: Lindens). CoffeeDujour quoted from an older Covenant. That was no doubt an honest mistake; but it does underline the dangers of interpreting (let alone policing) rules that aren't your own. If ppl feel an infraction of the Covenant took place, why not just send an AR? Then, if a Linden feels the need to step in, they will... or not.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Naming names on the forum isn't allowed, it's public knowledge which homes are Branded show homes and they are listed as such in the note-cards being passed around by groups and signs.

The document I linked to is not a covenant, it is the base rule set for all Linden Homes. Anything specified in the lands covenant supersedes , not out right replaces the original document.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Prim size at the time of the writing of that page was max 10x10x10 .... it has not been updated!!! There is clear evidence. That prim size is no longer valid. And even beyond that .. I have not seen any signs posted at any open house that does what you implied. Yes, I've been to a couple of homes that were set up as open house by creators... well known creators ... but they are not selling anything. 

If the owner of IKEA invited me to their house I would be thrilled. I would go in a heartbeat. Would I care that they also sell furniture? Heck, no. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

These homes have been set up as model homes. When you go house shopping and go to model homes .. what is getting sold is the house .. not the furniture. These homes have been set up as model homes showcasing what can be done with a Linden Home. Remember in the early days of the preview some were saying that the homes were too small and that you couldn't even get a bed into one of the rooms. These creators that you are casting shade on have actually done a service to Linden Lab and the project. They have also provided those of us who love to see how people set up their homes an enjoyable experience. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don't understand the purpose of this thread other than to name and shame while being very careful not to actually type a name. If there is an infraction, the way to address it is in world, either via IM or notecard or AR. Is this just an attempt to shed a bad light on the homeowner(s)? It seems a bit petty, to be honest. 

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Prim size at the time of the writing of that page was max 10x10x10 .... it has not been updated!!! There is clear evidence. That prim size is no longer valid. And even beyond that .. I have not seen any signs posted at any open house that does what you implied. Yes, I've been to a couple of homes that were set up as open house by creators... well known creators ... but they are not selling anything.

The prim size has been updated in the current covenant:

 

cov1.png

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Walpurgisnacht said:

The prim size has been updated in the current covenant:

 

cov1.png

Yes, which is why I'm saying that Coffee should be looking at the current covenant instead of quoting the policy that was written for the old Linden Homes from back in 2011.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...