Windlass Houseboat Interior Texture Issues?

Elora Lunasea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is anyone else having a problem with the wall texture option on the Windlass Houseboat?

I seem to remember seeing someone else mention this but don't remember where it was. When I pick a color for the interior walls it will only retexture some of them. The walls in the alcove, leading upstairs and upstairs area completely have been blue since I rezzed the house. And, not even the same tone of blue that comes up on the rest of the walls - this is a much darker navy. I've tried different Windlight settings and it always looks darker than the other blue walls.

I love blue but not sure I' want to be stuck with it. 

EDIT: Also...I thought we would be able to retexture the walls with our own textures but I'm not able to do so - when I try it's grayed out.

Edited by Elora Lunasea

17 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

Is anyone else having a problem with the wall texture option on the Windlass Houseboat?

I seem to remember seeing someone else mention this but don't remember where it was. When I pick a color for the interior walls it will only retexture some of them. The walls in the alcove, leading upstairs and upstairs area completely have been blue since I rezzed the house. And, not even the same tone of blue that comes up on the rest of the walls - this is a much darker navy. I've tried different Windlight settings and it always looks darker than the other blue walls.

EDIT: Also...I thought we would be able to retexture the walls with our own textures but I'm not able to do so - when I try it's grayed out.

The Windlass has a wall that can't be retextured. I suppose it's meant to be a "feature", but it made me chuck it and go with the Barnacle instead. 

And we cannot edit the homes at all outside of using the textures provided in the control panel. You can, however, buy add on walls to go in front of the existing ones, and texture THEM.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

The Windlass has a wall that can't be retextured. I suppose it's meant to be a "feature", but it made me chuck it and go with the Barnacle instead. 

And we cannot edit the homes at all outside of using the textures provided in the control panel. You can, however, buy add on walls to go in front of the existing ones, and texture THEM.

UGH.

Thanks for letting me know that Sylvia. That stinks. 

I'm going to have another look at the Barnacle in that case. I kept going back and forth between all of the models and each of them had some flaw that made me say "no".  I work in architecture/design in RL so I'm a bit too picky and I guess I need to not do that when it comes to virtual living 😋 Gotta learn to live with some things but yea, not being able to decorate the way I prefer is a major draw back so back to the proverbial drawing board for me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elora Lunasea said:

UGH.

Thanks for letting me know that Sylvia. That stinks. 

I'm going to have another look at the Barnacle in that case. I kept going back and forth between all of the models and each of them had some flaw that made me say "no".  I work in architecture/design in RL so I'm a bit too picky and I guess I need to not do that when it comes to virtual living 😋 Gotta learn to live with some things but yea, not being able to decorate the way I prefer is a major draw back so back to the proverbial drawing board for me.

If you take a look at MP using search term "Linden home" and sort to "newest first", you'll see a decent selection of modification stuff for the houses and houseboats. None of it is expensive, so if you like the Windlass, you might check out the options before giving up on it. (But I agree, that navy wall area.... meh!)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

I also at first thought there was something up with the wall scripts until I realized that is just the way this HB is configured. It did not detour me in using the WIndlass floorplan.  Blue is my favorite color, so I just embraced it and built feature walls and used blue accents in the decor.  I think it turned out well.  You can see the results here...  https://www.flickr.com/photos/cougarsangria/

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cougar Sangria said:

I also at first thought there was something up with the wall scripts until I realized that is just the way this HB is configured. It did not detour me in using the WIndlass floorplan.  Blue is my favorite color, so I just embraced it and built feature walls and used blue accents in the decor.  I think it turned out well.  You can see the results here...  https://www.flickr.com/photos/cougarsangria/

I actually visited your home yesterday, it's fantastic. LOVE.

Still debating about just sticking with it. I had tried using the Barnacle already and just wasn't bowled over with the floor plan plus, where my home is it didn't sit oriented well on the water for good access if I put down a boat eventually. I preferred the traditional entry of the Windlass and more open feeling of it overall.  

My husband offered to show me how to build walls to cover the ones that can't be textured. I've been putting that off for years - so I guess it's just time to dive in (PUN absolutely intended).

• Like 4

Great job, Cougar- that's lovely! I'm in a Windlass too and I also first thought "Darn, I need the windows in the back to show off the cute Mole touches behind my boat, but I'm stuck with navy hrrm" & then I just decided that was my accent color & ran w/ it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

If you take a look at MP using search term "Linden home" and sort to "newest first", you'll see a decent selection of modification stuff for the houses and houseboats. None of it is expensive, so if you like the Windlass, you might check out the options before giving up on it. (But I agree, that navy wall area.... meh!)

Yep, I already purchased a few. I bought one for Windlass - the upper deck railing/stair combo which I like a lot. Also for the Barnacle which was a good one too. I don't mind playing around for a week or 2 to be sure I am sure about my decision. I'm used to swapping things out constantly anyway and yea, the add ons are very well priced.  

Ghosty is going to show me how to cover the navy walls (just wrote that above) or I'll let him do it if it's too much for me to grasp (I'm sure it isn't but it just will go quicker if he does it I'm sure). I'd prefer to stick w/the Windlass if possible since I do like it best.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

Yep, I already purchased a few. I bought one for Windlass - the upper deck railing/stair combo which I like a lot. Also for the Barnacle which was a good one too. I don't mind playing around for a week or 2 to be sure I am sure about my decision. I'm used to swapping things out constantly anyway and yea, the add ons are very well priced.  

Ghosty is going to show me how to cover the navy walls (just wrote that above) or I'll let him do it if it's too much for me to grasp (I'm sure it isn't but it just will go quicker if he does it I'm sure). I'd prefer to stick w/the Windlass if possible since I do like it best.

Make him do it and then tell him to sell it to the rest of us!  😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Kitten Kaos said:

Great job, Cougar- that's lovely! I'm in a Windlass too and I also first thought "Darn, I need the windows in the back to show off the cute Mole touches behind my boat, but I'm stuck with navy hrrm" & then I just decided that was my accent color & ran w/ it.

Thank you, Kitten.

44 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

I actually visited your home yesterday, it's fantastic. LOVE.

Still debating about just sticking with it. I had tried using the Barnacle already and just wasn't bowled over with the floor plan plus, where my home is it didn't sit oriented well on the water for good access if I put down a boat eventually. I preferred the traditional entry of the Windlass and more open feeling of it overall.  

My husband offered to show me how to build walls to cover the ones that can't be textured. I've been putting that off for years - so I guess it's just time to dive in (PUN absolutely intended).

Thank you, Elora.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

I actually started to ask earlier if Ghosty could do some wall plastering for you. :)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Elora Lunasea said:

Yes, me too. I've also got the debug script, accidentally left in the walls by the Moles during testing. There is an updated version of the house boats being sent to the controllers soon, which will not have the script in it. I wonder if it will fix the wall texture problem, too? We'll see.

I'm set on using the Windlass model; it suits best for how I want it to be. I've already added one modification to it and so far, so good. 😊 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Odaks said:

Yes, me too. I've also got the debug script, accidentally left in the walls by the Moles during testing. There is an updated version of the house boats being sent to the controllers soon, which will not have the script in it. I wonder if it will fix the wall texture problem, too? We'll see.

Not sure what the exact issue is, but if it's just a matter of having an unwanted clickable wall now, you can easily circument that, for the time being, by slapping an invisi-prim (100% transparent**) against it, so it's no longer clickable. :)

** Some viewers used to require the invisi-prim to be only 99% transparent, for this to work; Firestorm, at least, works with 100%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not to critique the design skills of the inestimable moles, but I'd LOVE it if the back wall in the Windlass had a few more colors than navy - sure make it a dark accent wall if that's the intent, but let us have a few options. Finding a color set that brings the walls, ceiling beams, and floor together for me has left me feeling a little limited in what is otherwise a stunning houseboat.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Odaks said:

There is an updated version of the house boats being sent to the controllers soon, which will not have the script in it. I wonder if it will fix the wall texture problem, too? We'll see.

Since no other style has a forced wall color like that, I'm a bit befuddled at why they did that. In any case, based on my conversation with Live Chat when the houseboats first came out, that dark blue wall is intentional. Thus, I think the only way any sort of fix/change will be pushed out is if enough people request it and/or report it as a problem (support tickets).  Even then, it may not happen, since it is part of their original design intent.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Since no other style has a forced wall color like that, I'm a bit befuddled at why they did that. In any case, based on my conversation with Live Chat when the houseboats first came out, that dark blue wall is intentional. Thus, I think the only way any sort of fix/change will be pushed out is if enough people request it and/or report it as a problem (support tickets).  Even then, it may not happen, since it is part of their original design intent.

Thanks for that. I wonder why they fixed the texture of what is a quite large section of the interior walls?

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I just changed to the Windlass yesterday and I freaking HATE that navy color. I will be very upset if the update doesn't include the texture change option for those walls. It doesn't make any sense to not make that changeable as well.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

and I freaking HATE that navy color.

So do I!!

Especially as things tend to go a bit darker on my graphics setup, with advanced lighting on, I was going for a nice, light airy decor. That navy texturing looks almost black to me, and completely ruins what I am hoping to achieve.

I'll still stick with that model, but I really shouldn't have waste precious LI to do it though?

• Like 1

All I can recommend is that you put in support tickets requesting the wall color change and/or maybe get more folks to post here and ping a Linden or Mole.  I gave up on that model and switched.

Though there may be a mesh wall kit for that houseboat now, to allow the color change.  And if not, I'll bet there will be soon.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

All I can recommend is that you put in support tickets requesting the wall color change and/or maybe get more folks to post here and ping a Linden or Mole.  I gave up on that model and switched.

Though there may be a mesh wall kit for that houseboat now, to allow the color change.  And if not, I'll bet there will be soon.

I'm going to be a squeaky wheel about it. I'm good at that.

The problem with it being such a dark tone is that there aren't enough windows one side of the house to allow natural light to come in and illuminate the wall so it's a dark hole pretty much. Especially the way my home faces; which is towards another boathouse. If it faced water perhaps the light would better hit it but, it doesn't. And yes, I agree with Odaks that it does appear almost black. It's BAD.

Even adding  overhead lighting and lamps doesn't help much. Finding a decent Windlight is the only way to fix it but the ones that work wind up washing out the color of everything, you lose the warmth of the sunlight so it's not a great solution.  

Yep, going to spin those wheels and make myself heard 😛

Edited by Elora Lunasea
poor sentence structure i haz a tired
  • Like 4

Heh, I'm going to reach out to Strawberry Linden. 

I know she's not one of the moles but maybe she can get a word to them. I took over her Flckr group for her (I've been helping moderate it for years, and well, now I guess it's mine more or less since I'm the only one who administers it). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

The problem with it being such a dark tone is that there aren't enough windows one side of the house to allow natural light to come in and illuminate the wall so it's a dark hole pretty much. Especially the way my home faces; which is towards another boathouse. If it faced water perhaps the light would better hit it but, it doesn't. And yes, I agree with Odaks that it does appear almost black. It's BAD.

This is exactly my issue with it, I've done what I can to brighten the rooms palette and it still looks like a cave. Thanks for squeaking and maybe point Strawberry Linden at this thread to show others have these concerns. It's a small thing, but it would really turn the Windlass from an "it has so much potential" to a "stunner".

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.