If security is turned off

Suspended Shepherd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

... whats the worst thing that could happen if you don't activate the security?

Sounds lika a newbie-question, but since years I put up security only around my house and not in the garden/beach and I am okay with that.

Since years I am still not sure what COULD MAYBE happen.

Now I think about letting everybody on my houseboat.

This are my currently adjustments:

image.png.82e90d8989ba4e8d0399c9d7e4c79c7d.png

You can't get into my group, its very expensive to do that 😉

Do I think right, that ONLY maybe colours of furniture could be another one if I come back to my houseboat (items I forgot to set to group)?

Or are there another things that a visitor could do with my stuff?

If somebody is sitting in my boat when I arrive, so what, welcome, nice to meet you, little smalltalk, good bye.

Only if he starts trolling (he/she won't go) I would kick them out.

Otherwise there are so many weird scripts, I read about some could crash my graphiccard (I am very afraid of that, my Laptop is brandnew), I want to be a welcoming neighbour, but not a careless idiot.

Whats your experience with open houses on a premium sim? What do I have to think about and to consider?

Edited by Suspended Shepherd
  • Like 3

i dont need security on my houseboat. I like to share some scene from my house with neighbor. If I need to try demo or change clothes, it is much better on skybox. No reason to try them on script busy ground area. Security can be put there in sky. Or will turn on land privacy that moment. 

So the base NOT to non-group or personal is "create". and I will restrict the parcel sound too.

Anyone really annoying, it can eject them and ban them on parcel ban list. 

I am a lot believe those living in Linden Home will have much better behave than those in Zindra, or naturist sims.  

• Thanks 1

I have lived in mainland, in old Linden home, and now in new Linden home. No security orbs in any of them nor ban lines. Nothing bad has ever happened (I guess I've been lucky). I like to keep my house open and I like also to see people outside my parcel.

I might temporarily turn on invisibility on my parcel when trying on new clothes, skins, etc., that's all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the answers.

Yeah, I never used banlines ... this yellow stripes are sooo ugly to see, I wonder why they aren't 100% invisible or just ONE small stripe ... also I never used this huge WALLS around me ... I always DERENDER what disturbs my view or taste (blinking, bright & extreme ugly things nearby) 

But I always used the security - because of my question above, this isn't answered all the years and also not yet. If it only "protects" from other people, I change it immediatly. But I am a kind of "control freak", I wonna know what COULD happen ... to be prepared BEFORE 😄

Edited by Suspended Shepherd
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Suspended Shepherd said:

I always DERENDER what disturbs my view or taste (blinking, bright & extreme ugly things nearby) 

Thank you for mentioning this! (particularly the part I highlighted) My neighbor behind me has this annoying 1 prim blinking thing that I can actually see blinking when inside my home. Which is what annoyed me because it made the appearances of my things shift/change along with the blinking. I didn't realize that when you derender, it's ALL, not just the object's appearance. Yay! No more color shifting walls now :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zoya McDonnagh said:

Thank you for mentioning this! (particularly the part I highlighted) My neighbor behind me has this annoying 1 prim blinking thing that I can actually see blinking when inside my home. Which is what annoyed me because it made the appearances of my things shift/change along with the blinking. I didn't realize that when you derender, it's ALL, not just the object's appearance. Yay! No more color shifting walls now :)

Is it a red blinking light sitting by itself in Evallen region? I think I saw it yesterday and was wondering what it was. 

I have never used ban lines or orbs.  I don't even have any of my homes set to privacy either.  Worse thing that can happen is someone sees me naked on my platform either changing clothes or demoing.  I have never had any issues with people bothering me.

I also don't care if people go in my house and use my things.  Go ahead and use my adult couch at least that way it is getting some action!  I mean really it is not like they can steal my things.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

When I get home I hope to find someone came on the boat house and did all the dishes and laundry. So far nope. 

I have no need for actual privacy on sl except when changing clothes but even then its not an issue. For me the point is to have neighbors, go on boat trips, and enjoy it all. 

Others however will need privacy set.

On 5/18/2019 at 12:20 PM, Suspended Shepherd said:

... whats the worst thing that could happen if you don't activate the security?

Do I think right, that ONLY maybe colours of furniture could be another one if I come back to my houseboat (items I forgot to set to group)?

Or are there another things that a visitor could do with my stuff?

If somebody is sitting in my boat when I arrive, so what, welcome, nice to meet you, little smalltalk, good bye.

Only if he starts trolling (he/she won't go) I would kick them out.

Otherwise there are so many weird scripts, I read about some could crash my graphiccard (I am very afraid of that, my Laptop is brandnew), I want to be a welcoming neighbour, but not a careless idiot.

Whats your experience with open houses on a premium sim? What do I have to think about and to consider?

A few days ago I was hanging out with a friend at his Bellissaria home. We happened to be standing in his bedroom, because he was showing me the new stuff he'd added; furniture/decor etc. Suddenly out of nowhere, someone teleported in and stood right between us for a few seconds.  I said hello, he said hello back, and then he teleported away again. I looked at his profile and it seemed like he belonged to an anti-sex group, demanding the ending of adult activity in SL. So obviously he'd spotted two green dots together on the minimap and homed in on us in hope of catching us "in flagrante delicto", so to speak. I'm curious now, what he would have done if he had caught us not just engaged in sex but in blatantly flamboyant gay sexxD

Generally, and with the right land settings, the worst that someone can do is to verbally harass you. If you disallow public building and object-entry, there's nothing they can physically do. You might find that they've messed with the settings of any scripted furniture, like change the texture. You might find poseballs left out on the bed if it has any (that happened to me once - clearly someone had "borrowed" it whilst I was away). 

The "graphics-card-crasher" is an object that griefers would wear, usually a very large one with lots of complex surfaces. I've seen one of these things once in 12 years. The way it works is to create so much lag that your viewer (or even the entire region) just shuts down, and you may not be able to log back in at the same place until the griefer is gone. Get their name if you can, and submit an Abuse Report. If you use Firestorm there's built-in protection so that objects like these are just not rendered at all, and I think they've all but disappeared because so many people use Firestorm these days that they have no effect on most people.  This type of attack is unlikely to cause any physical damage to a new graphics card, but if you're using one that's old, poor quality and already prone to overheating, it might make the problem worse. 

I have lived in all kinds of places in SL; private rentals, ordinary mainland and Linden Homes. I've never used security orbs or ban lines, and never felt any need to do so. I don't think I've ever even had to ban/eject anyone. But for someone who's experienced something more serious like persistent stalking from someone with an army of alts, it's probably essential

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

A few days ago I was hanging out with a friend at his Bellissaria home. We happened to be standing in his bedroom, because he was showing me the new stuff he'd added; furniture/decor etc. Suddenly out of nowhere, someone teleported in and stood right between us for a few seconds.  I said hello, he said hello back, and then he teleported away again. I looked at his profile and it seemed like he belonged to an anti-sex group, demanding the ending of adult activity in SL. So obviously he'd spotted two green dots together on the minimap and homed in on us in hope of catching us "in flagrante delicto", so to speak. I'm curious now, what he would have done if he had caught us not just engaged in sex but in blatantly flamboyant gay sexxD

Generally, and with the right land settings, the worst that someone can do is to verbally harass you. If you disallow public building and object-entry, there's nothing they can physically do. You might find that they've messed with the settings of any scripted furniture, like change the texture. You might find poseballs left out on the bed if it has any (that happened to me once - clearly someone had "borrowed" it whilst I was away). 

The "graphics-card-crasher" is an object that griefers would wear, usually a very large one with lots of complex surfaces. I've seen one of these things once in 12 years. The way it works is to create so much lag that your viewer (or even the entire region) just shuts down, and you may not be able to log back in at the same place until the griefer is gone. Get their name if you can, and submit an Abuse Report. If you use Firestorm there's built-in protection so that objects like these are just not rendered at all, and I think they've all but disappeared because so many people use Firestorm these days that they have no effect on most people.  This type of attack is unlikely to cause any physical damage to a new graphics card, but if you're using one that's old, poor quality and already prone to overheating, it might make the problem worse. 

I have lived in all kinds of places in SL; private rentals, ordinary mainland and Linden Homes. I've never used security orbs or ban lines, and never felt any need to do so. I don't think I've ever even had to ban/eject anyone. But for someone who's experienced something more serious like persistent stalking from someone with an army of alts, it's probably essential

Anti-sex group?? LOL what an odd hoooman! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

If you use Firestorm there's built-in protection so that objects like these are just not rendered at all, and I think they've all but disappeared because so many people use Firestorm these days that they have no effect on most people.  This type of attack is unlikely to cause any physical damage to a new graphics card, but if you're using one that's old, poor quality and already prone to overheating, it might make the problem worse.  

Thank you soo much Matty, so there is in my eyes no worry left ... 💖

PS.: Anti-SL-Sex Group ... okaaaay ..... erm .... okay .... 💬

Maybe he should play SIMS ... 😉

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, KrystalKandy said:

Anti-sex group?? LOL what an odd hoooman! 

That sounds like Fergus... Fergum... Fer-something. I think the anti-sex group is a joke maybe? When I saw it, I actually joined it for a few days to see what was up, but there was no group activity so... shrugs

5 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

That sounds like Fergus... Fergum... Fer-something. I think the anti-sex group is a joke maybe? When I saw it, I actually joined it for a few days to see what was up, but there was no group activity so... shrugs

Honestly, I have never heard of a group of that nature until Matty commented on it earlier. Sure did give me a giggle though, Beth! lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

I really don't get what the whole question or debate is. If somebody wants it and feels more comfortable with it, they use it. Why should they have to justify it to anybody?

It's a personal choice and really none of anybody else's business.

I think the point of the OP question was what is the worst thing that can happen if you choose not to use security and people are just posting their experience on why they don't use it or why they need to use it.  I agree that at the end of the day it is a choice if you want security or not. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

I actually joined it for a few days to see what was up, but there was no group activity so... shrugs

OMG Beth I hope you didn't have pay to join it .. that would have been a waste of lindens .. haha

23 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

I think that was him. It wasn't Fergus, but similar.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.