Nvidia GTX 580 or GTX 590

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum area to post this but I could find any other area that relates to my question.

I'm purchasing a new PC. I'm undecided whether to get the Nvidia GTX 580 (possibly 2 of them) or 'one' of the new GTX 590's. Also, do I even bother trying to have an SLI setup with 2 GTX 580's? I hear so many different stories that SLI is basically wasted in Second Life. By the way, I use the Phoenix viewer.

And while I'm at it, what the heck happened to these forums?? They'so so limited now. This is clearly a step backwards!!!

You don't have to go for the newest high end to get essentially the same results, Lindens are always focused on backwards-compatibility so it is pretty good this way.... Second Life runs perfectly fine even on older NVIDIA, I run SL on several different setups now & I can vouch for this :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

honestly if it's just for SL, save your money and get a GTX 460... prices on those have bottomed out and they are more than sufficient to run SL with all the bells and whistles. only aim for higher versions if you are after use in other things that might have high demands.

SL doesn't play nice with SLi, and even worse with crossfire, so if you use those for other things, you'll want to disable them for SL.

jjccc,

You mentioned that you have to, "tell them to run that way" regarding an SLI setup. How do you do that?

My concern is if the extra $500.00 for a second card will be worth the expense? I'd spend the extra money only if I could see a very appreciable increase in the graphics and performance!

Comments, suggestions?? lol

Carolyn Crosley wrote:

Very impressive difference!

Where are the settings in SL to enable SLI??

about 95% sure I dont believe you enable SLI inside SL.. its done through the nvidia control software that comes with the video card (like right click on the desktop usually brings it up.) Otherwise google/youtube 'how to' and it should bring something up.. After enabled, you may need to reboot (used to have to on my old SLI setup, not sure with new ones).. I'd be able to give a clearer answer but my 590 is In Transit :P hahah.  I plan to use it for heavier games, but I also like SL..

• 1 month later...

There is no way you would get that first result with a 580GTX without settings being wrong is my guess? Even a 9800GT runs better than that on a DuoCore. I have not been able to run SLI except once on the KL viewer latest builds 8 which are very buggy trying to load at all. I have 2 460GTXs however disable SLI and can get up to 50 fps with Shadow Mode depending on where I am and settings etc. My guess is your settings are not optimum in the first case? I'm not sure what you mean by before and after (what?). You have  alotof great video ideas btw.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.