Jump to content
ChinRey

Strange viewer updates and status report

Recommended Posts

There's been something strange going on with the SL viewer this week. Two mandatory updates only days apart and both have been attempt to fix a single bug:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/6.2.2.527198

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/6.2.2.527221

This is also an open issue in the status blog at the moment:

https://status.secondlifegrid.net/

 

It's of course nice to see LL is working on bugfixes but what I can't understand is why this issue is so urgent all of a sudden. I've never seen LL do a single bugfix update before and this is hardly a new issue. We ran into it when we set up the SIlent Slasher years ago (the solution I came up with was to make the invisible switches 99% transparent) and I thought it was expected behaviour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

There's been something strange going on with the SL viewer this week. Two mandatory updates only days apart and both have been attempt to fix a single bug:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/6.2.2.527198

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/6.2.2.527221

This is also an open issue in the status blog at the moment:

https://status.secondlifegrid.net/

 

It's of course nice to see LL is working on bugfixes but what I can't understand is why this issue is so urgent all of a sudden. I've never seen LL do a single bugfix update before and this is hardly a new issue. We ran into it when we set up the SIlent Slasher years ago (the solution I came up with was to make the invisible switches 99% transparent) and I thought it was expected behaviour.

6.2.2 is a release candidate viewer - it used to be 6.2.1 and was the "default" viewer briefly, but the default was rolled back to  6.2.0. All updates for release candidate viewers are mandatory and automatic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

6.2.2 is a release candidate viewer - it used to be 6.2.1 and was the "default" viewer briefly, but the default was rolled back to  6.2.0. All updates for release candidate viewers are mandatory and automatic.

Curiouser and curiouser. I certainly haven't installed an RC viewer. That is, I did run the EEP viewer briefly but I removed it two or three weeks ago.

Oh well, it doesn't cause me any problems, apart from the minor nuisance of having to wait for a firced installation to finish every other day but I'm still curious: why has this old bug become so critical all of a sudden?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Releases are named after liquors?

They are, and that's the serious problem with these frequent updates. At this speed, they'll run out of booze long before the party is over.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

They are, and that's the serious problem with these frequent updates. At this speed, they'll run out of booze long before the party is over.

Maybe all their research into booze has a negative effect on QC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 5:56 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

BUG-226970 - lsl scripting touch_start() function no longer works on prims with full alpha textures

The hotfix was to fix this new bug, which appeared to break enough content for it to be considered worth a hotfix.

Ok, I think I got it now. There's this brand new bug who not only keeps people from clicking on 100% transparent objects but also keeps the good old bug from keeping people from clicking on 100% transparent objects. In other words, this cheeky newbie bug is stealing the job from a well established oldtimer bug. That's not acceptable of course so yes, they had to do something about it fast.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some very strange things were happening to my scripted objects yesterday. Anything with a timer in it got troublesome. I decided it was my bad in the end

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I got a viewer update message when I logged into SL.  It was the EEP viewer, which I installed.  The new environment stuff was a bit confusing and I found my old custom settings were gone.  Anyway I decided it would be easier to make new ones than to try and recover the old ones from my PC.  This was quite easy and the results were good as far as natural lighting is concerned.  What isn't so good is that artificial light sources are messed up, so I look like I'm wearing several ultra brilliant facelights when I'm not wearing any lights at all.  It's as though my textures are all over-exposed.  Playing with the settings of individual lights in my home doesn't seem to make much difference unless I make them so dim the're almost non-existent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...