Joining SL again after a long time away...

Walkingsoul Zenfold

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi. A funny thing happened on the way to reactivating my SL account. I've had two in the past, the second one created after the first one couldn't be located. 

But THIS time around, my FIRST account was reactivated, so everything I have in my inventory now seems old and WAAAAAY outdated. 

I am working with an old LAQ avatar skin and shape - ALICE glow skin. 

I have NO idea how to update this, and I am very unfamiliar with the latest skins and shapes. Does anyone have suggestions for re-doing my avatar? Is there any way to take the look of my face and get close to the same results with a new face?

The first one is my Walkingsoul circa 2009-2011. THIS is the account that was reactivated. 

511941547_Snapshot_WalkingsoulsplaceKraddic(82022401).png.dabc2bb39f91606d7e1d9e24a10495dd.png

This one is a pic of the most recent account/avatar I had, which is what I really would have preferred. At least I had upgraded the shape and skin to something more recent.  

1271026379_Snapshot_006(2).png.1d89aee79d3f16c90b3d6b8d49050623.png

So I''m not sure how to go forward. Especially now that the LAQ "Alice" is considered an older skin. 

Thanks,

Walkingsoul

I wish I could help but there are people here way more knowledgeable than me.

Start by looking at Mesh Body Addicts and demo what you can, take your time with body and head, and you should find an answer.

Many people want to keep their look, and sometimes it can be a challenge!!

My forum avi picture is my first paid for avi, which I don't use but still adore.

:)

Welcome back to sl Walkingsoul! Like you, I returned after a long hiatus to find everything had changed. For the better, I soon learned, but at the beginning it was pretty overwhelming. Practically everything new being made is for mesh heads and bodies. I started the updating process by reading as much as I could about mesh. The Mesh Body Addicts web site and StrawberrySingh.com are good resources. I don’t think the former has been updated in a while, but the basic info is solid. I also looked at various blogs to get an idea of what was available. 

There are still system skins to be found as well... Pink Fuel for one. 

Good luck! I love avatar customization, so it was a fun process for me.

• Like 1

I may sound a bit repetitive to some, but Lumae skins come with system skins and appliers for most mesh bodies as well as an Omega applier. They are lovely skins, fairly cheap right now, as she's rebranding and working on a new line of skins. All Lumae skins are 100L.

Unless the skin is labeled as being for a specific head, it will come with a usable system skin for you. They can be useful purchases if/and when you decide to go mesh, as you'll already have appliers for those mesh bodies and heads.

I've pretty much forgone wearing any other skins than hers since around 2011. It's not the first time she's re-branded, but she's gotten better and better at her craft every year.

• Like 1

Ok, so I see the basic appliers are either Omega or Slink. I also see classic Avi as well. Here's my question. which of the appliers have the most clothing options? Opinions are very much appreciated. 

Also, thank you Roxy - I will check out Lumae's skins. 

If I'm understanding correctly, I will most likely need a new body/shape, a new head, and maybe new hands and feet along with a skin (and hopefully the skins include the hands and feet?)

40 minutes ago, Walkingsoul Zenfold said:

Ok, so I see the basic appliers are either Omega or Slink. I also see classic Avi as well. Here's my question. which of the appliers have the most clothing options? Opinions are very much appreciated. 

Also, thank you Roxy - I will check out Lumae's skins. 

If I'm understanding correctly, I will most likely need a new body/shape, a new head, and maybe new hands and feet along with a skin (and hopefully the skins include the hands and feet?)

Well, yes and no. A full mesh body, SLink, Maitreya, Bellaza etc, come with hands and feet. You don't need to buy add-on hands and feet. A SLink (or whatever) body applier applies to the whole body, hands and feet included. An Omega applier (as long as you have a appropriate Omega relay) will apply to the whole body.

Generally, your shape translates fairly closely to mesh bodies. Where you'll need a shape is for the head as mesh rigging will alter the face. What I did was to find a face that I liked and bought the head that shape was made for and just put in my system shapes body values.

I'd recommend taking baby steps at first. Find a mesh body you like (demo demo demo) and get used to using huds and appliers with that first. Then, once you've gotten your feet wet, demo heads.

Personally, I've found Maitreya easy to use and easy to find clothing and shoes for. But it may not be your cuppa.

If you want to keep your existing face you could just forget the new head. After spending hours farting around with demos that make my face look like everyone elses, I decided it's not worth the effort for a few facial expressions. I'm still using the freebie modifiable shape I got 4 years ago with Maitreya and use emoter huds if I need an expression for photos. May not be as sophisticated, but it does save the embarrasment of wandering around with no head followed by a disembodied brain, waiting for it to rezz for 5 mins when visiting busy sims. ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, suzyst said:

If you want to keep your existing face you could just forget the new head. After spending hours farting around with demos that make my face look like everyone elses, I decided it's not worth the effort for a few facial expressions. I'm still using the freebie modifiable shape I got 4 years ago with Maitreya and use emoter huds if I need an expression for photos. May not be as sophisticated, but it does save the embarrasment of wandering around with no head followed by a disembodied brain, waiting for it to rezz for 5 mins when visiting busy sims. ;)

Thing with mesh heads; you may find some with some same make and type of mesh head but we will all style differently so no one will look like everyone else by default. Sorry; just had to say that.

You could check your email of the account that is now active and do a search in there for the name of your other account, to see if you have any ties between the two accounts.. I know my alt ties to my account as a password recovery and vice versa..

Just thought I would give it a mention,if you hadn't tried it yet.

• Like 1

Lots of good advice already. I just want to mirror and extend some of what has been said. First, don't  rush. Come back, get comfortable and don't let anyone say you have to have mesh this or mesh that. Then grab demos.. lots of demos.. and then some more demos. Play around with what is out there. Get one of the What's She Wearing HUDs and spy the heck out of others that have a look you like and see where their stuff is from.. then get more demos. When you are getting demos look at prices and make a note. If you come across something you like but can't demo fully... skip it and move on because I can promise there is something equally as cute/nice which will allow you to demo.

Welcome back!!  Good luck, have fun and feel free to give a shout in world if you have questions or need help with anything.

On 5/19/2019 at 6:30 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

You could check your email of the account that is now active and do a search in there for the name of your other account, to see if you have any ties between the two accounts.. I know my alt ties to my account as a password recovery and vice versa..

Just thought I would give it a mention,if you hadn't tried it yet.

Thanks, I will try that. I didn't have much luck trying to explain the situation to support. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.