a random angry alt rant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, MileyRosemarie said:

but i think ill add in a movie  & game spot to make it so people will hopefully stay a tad longer and just have some patience. 

Replace the bold words with "adult furniture", and you will get the attention you seem to need so much.

• Like 1

Just now, MileyRosemarie said:

id rather my sim burn and crash before doing that i despise, sex sims but thanks for the advice 

As an analogy, its like you want to sell caviar and champagne in a football stadium, and now you wonder, why the booth next to you, selling beer and burgers, has so many more customers waiting in a line. 
Its absolutely fine, if you never ever want to touch beer or caviar, so stay with what you love. Just accept the fact, the majority of people seem to want something else.

But that doesnt mean you cant be succesful. Svarga lasted for so many years (its still there?) and Tempura is still crowded 24/7.
Good luck and be patient.

• Like 1

I have noticed this behavior on mainland regions as well. I have witnessed many avatars teleport in and spend less than 5 seconds in the region. I assume many of those are land survey bots of some type that drop in and grab region information and teleport off to the next region on their survey list. Try not to take it personally. Not every avatar has an actual person driving it. 

The most common land survey bot will teleport in fairly close to the center of the region, slowly turn in 45 degree increments and then teleport out after rotating 720 degrees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Bots tend to be fairly easy to spot, for one they are almost always flying.

People on text-viewers also seem to be always floating a metre off the ground bobbing gently up and down. They would be perfect candidates for the behaviour the OP complained of, because they aren't going to be able to see the full sim, and of there's nobody there to text with they'll be on their way as soon as the radar shows an empty sim.

• Like 4

I'm someone who looks for sims to explore, rather than sims full of people. Even if I visit a sim and it turns out to be not my thing, I'm not going to know that in five seconds, because it hasn't loaded. Unless you have an aggressive greeter or land me in the middle of a crowded club, I'd have to wait for it to load. That means your visitors are most likely bots or people who were searching for people rather than places. Which means the issue isn't lack of patience. It's that your target audience is not finding the sim in the first place. Your target audience would wait to load.

Trails are a good starting point. Make sure horses can use them, then advertise them as riding trails. Some places maintain lists of these. You could even get some horses people can rez on the sim if they don't have their own. Look at other sims with trails to get an idea.

Events can help. I don't mean you have to start a club. Hunts bring people in who like to explore. Art events are great exploration events, as the artists set up and then people wander. You can do things like setting up seasonal trails or tours.

Whatever you do, it needs advertising in the right way in the right places. A lack of visitors means you haven't hit the right mix yet. If you're not getting the people you want, think more about where those people might be and how you can reach them.

(As an aside, the sex sim thing makes me chuckle, as the vast majority of those I've visited on hunts have been totally empty... they're making the opposite mistake, because they're running an event that attracts explorers when the sim is not set up for that).

• Like 1

Periodically I will go through my Landmarks folder and delete the ones that are no longer valid. This means tping to each one to check it, which only takes a few seconds, because I'm not one to rely on Search to check. Sim might still be there but that parcel may not be what it once was and the only way to be absolutely sure is eyes on.

I'm certain I am not the only one that does this so this explanation does account for some of it.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I don't know what your sim is like as you have not provided anyone with any way to access it, but I am wondering how cost-efficient it is for peoples viewers to render.

If people are telling you that it is too laggy, it may be best to do a few things.

1) Limit the amount of textures (especially high-resolution textures) that your sim uses. The more separate textures are used in a build, the more time it will take for the whole thing to load, and the more impatient that incoming people will become. This can be difficult because not all content creators provide textures, so using full-perm stuff and sizing down the textures they give you might help.

2) Use low-poly mesh. If you right click and edit any mesh object, it should be shown as a wireframe structure. This indicates the amount of vertices present in the mesh. If the wireframe on a mesh is very dense, you should probably find a more low-poly alternative.

3) Limit the number of small, detailed decorations. Unless it is a sim for photography, lots of tiny detailed decorative items are going to negatively impact performance and make people less likely to stay at your sim.

4) If your sim is adjacent to other sims with lots of lag-inducing objects, try building your structures in the sky where all the stuff from other sims is out of render distance.

I know I am showing up late to this thread, but real estate bots and people following stale landmarks are the most likely explanation for avatars that just pop in/pop out, from my experience. The stale landmarks (or obsolete "home" location) issue happens on private sims as well as mainland.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wildefire Walcott said:

people following stale landmarks

Maybe more than half the "see item in world" links on Marketplace are stale. I've ended up in people's houses, in midair, underwater, and on abandoned land.

Marketplace needs a background task that periodically checks for changes in land ownership on all Marketplace TP links. If land ownership changes, the store owner should get a message telling them that they need to reconfirm the link, and if they don't do so in a week or so, the link goes away.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.