Old housing community vs New one

ClariceRose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm wondering if the old houses had a sense of community or did people keep to themselves? What makes the new continent better? Just wondering how the "olden days were" and why we are so excited for this continent. I hope not just because of new and shiny.

I'm a new premium member and the places that I use to rent never really had a sense of community. The landlords would have some events but hardly anyone showed up.

I've only been in sl 5 1/2 yrs and have always longed for community. But most say that happened in the early yrs of sl and I missed out. I really hope this attitude of bonding, friendliness and community lasts. 

😍

• Like 8

I never lived in an old Linden Home but from what the folks that I know well have told me it wasn't very community oriented. I think at the VERY beginning there may have been some comraderie going on, but certainly not in later years or now. Mostly empty and not used places that aren't visited often or mostly used for changing rooms and the like. That has been mentioned on these forums several times.  

Hopefully the new continent will thrive and be more "homey". 

• Like 4

I had one for a couple of years... I only used it as a hideaway. It wasn't very attractive and there was never anyone around in my little neighborhood, or then kept entirely to themselves... same as i did, I suppose. No, I never felt any sense of community there.

• Like 3

I've always had a quad home when I went premium.  But I could hardly wait to get one of these new houses when I saw they were coming out.  More prims and the landscaping is just so nice.  And no friggin ban lines!

• Like 5

Just now, karynmaria said:

I've always had a quad home when I went premium.  But I could hardly wait to get one of these new houses when I saw they were coming out.  More prims and the landscaping is just so nice.  And no friggin ban lines!

What is a quad home?

• Like 1

I often see people in the infohubs, usually a few groups of people are hanging out and sitting at the various tables.  There are no real pathways to walk around, I mean, there are, but they are very small, and I rarely see anyone walking outside of their homes.  

There seem to be a few party spots too, where the green dots are stacked up on one another :)

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I had one for a couple of years... I only used it as a hideaway. It wasn't very attractive and there was never anyone around in my little neighborhood, or then kept entirely to themselves... same as i did, I suppose. No, I never felt any sense of community there.

Despite being not attractive which can sometimes be fixed, would you have felt more homey in it with more prim allowance? 

• Like 1

Just now, WillowTenage said:

I often see people in the infohubs, usually a few groups of people are hanging out and sitting at the various tables.  There are no real pathways to walk around, I mean, there are, but they are very small, and I rarely see anyone walking outside of their homes.  

So, the old communities didn't have a well thought out navigation plan? 

• Like 1

Just now, ClariceRose said:

So, the old communities didn't have a well thought out navigation plan? 

No, mostly just a few paths that eventually end, they wind through the narrow area of houses, and it would be crazy to even try to get a vehicle through them.  Along the coast there are a few sidewalks, which are pretty nice - nothing compared to what we have though. 

There still are a lot of people living in these areas, I hope that Linden decides to keep one of the continents open for us.

1827792135_Snapshot_470(2).thumb.png.9f2cda095ca85b63dfb68fbcbb65a9b8.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WillowTenage said:

I used to walk around the Linden home continents.  There was a lot of park land, especially in the sections in-between the different themed areas.   There were little gathering spots here and there.  I didn't usually see anyone else though when I was out exploring.

Just now, ClariceRose said:

Despite being not attractive which can sometimes be fixed, would you have felt more homey in it with more prim allowance? 

There were a couple of styles there that I liked and always felt I was able to decorate well and have it be homey. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ClariceRose said:

No, I don't think so. I never used up the prims I had. It just wasn't... interesting, I guess?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 thoughts,

Take one look on the map of the new continent and it is filled with green dots. Life! People everywhere. There seems to be lots of commmunity spots pools etc etc. and The old neighborhoods are so outdated.

• Like 2

I've had a Linden home since the 2nd day I rezzed in SL.  Being a new one, I was not comfortable changing in a sandbox, and I wanted to be left alone, so I could learn the basics of the viewer, how to change clothes, etc.  I spent the first two weeks holed up in my Linden home, putting my avatar together.  In the almost nine years, I have had a Linden home I have never felt a sense of community or for that matter seen many peeps about other than the stray naked avatar looking for a sexual encounter.  Once I leased a private region, I used my Linden home for those occasions when there were restarts, and I need a place to tp too.  Then I opened my region to the public five days week and needed a place where I could have some semblance of privacy.  My old Linden home served me well, but I am thrilled with the Linden homes on Bellisseria.  Who wouldn't be?   I think they nailed it.  It's lovely to see peeps out and about, interacting with one another.  I can only hope that it continues.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Cougar Sangria said:

I've had a Linden home since the 2nd day I rezzed in SL.  Being a new one, I was not comfortable changing in a sandbox, and I wanted to be left alone, so I could learn the basics of the viewer, how to change clothes, etc.  I spent the first two weeks holed up in my Linden home, putting my avatar together.  In the almost nine years, I have had a Linden home I have never felt a sense of community or for that matter seen many peeps about other than the stray naked avatar looking for a sexual encounter.  Once I leased a private region, I used my Linden home for those occasions when there were restarts, and I need a place to tp too.  Then I opened my region to the public five days week and needed a place where I could have some semblance of privacy.  My old Linden home served me well, but I am thrilled with the Linden homes on Bellisseria.  Who wouldn't be?   I think they nailed it.  It's lovely to see peeps out and about, interacting with one another.  I can only hope that it continues.

You made me laugh hard @ stray naked avatar looking for a sexual encounter lol. I can just imagine that avatar walking without an AO and IMing anyone that is on their radar.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, ClariceRose said:

You made me laugh hard @ stray naked avatar looking for a sexual encounter lol. I can just imagine that avatar walking without an AO and IMing anyone that is on their radar.

And you nailed it lol :P

• Haha 2

To give you a better idea, I took a picture :D

The houses are packed really close to one another, you'll see a few spots for people to sit at, but I rarely see people out of their homes, besides at the infohubs.  You'll see the paths I am talking about as well.

Snapshot_471.thumb.png.a2051895b6f272121b7c44ec45591258.png

Here it is from the ground level, I am sitting at one of the communal spots, all by my lonesome :( Still, I love my Tahoe home.. Compared to these new homes, and the landscaping, it hardly compares though.

Snapshot_474.thumb.png.404824f1aef535999ee5657f2f2c468e.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

The houses are packed really close to one another, you'll see a few spots for people to sit at, but I rarely see people out of their homes, besides at the infohubs.  You'll see the paths I am talking about as well.

Here it is from the ground level, I am sitting at one of the communal spots, all by my lonesome :( Still, I love my Tahoe home.. Compared to these new homes, and the landscaping, it hardly compares though.

That home behind you was my favorite Tahoe version.  I had built a set of interior walls for it, to divide it up into several rooms.  

It is true that the landscaping on Bellisseria is leaps and bounds better than the landscaping on the old LH continents. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

I've always loved the Tahoe series. I hope that LL is considering cabins similar to these or something like Trompe Loeils creations.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Cougar Sangria said:

I've always loved the Tahoe series. I hope that LL is considering cabins similar to these or something like Trompe Loeils creations.

Yes, I would like some type of forest-y type cabins or homes, up in the mountain areas, but maybe not A-frames this time.

• Like 6

There was never any incentive to leave your home with the old Linden Homes. You were confined to rezzing things inside your home or you might drop a chair or two if you could afford the prims on a balcony but there wasn't anything worth looking at outside. There was no garden aspect to your home the way we have now in Bellisseria. I only used my old Linden Home as a workshop. I made jewelry there, put together HUDs, or worked on sorting inventory. 

It is soooooooooooo different in the new area. Everything is beautiful. There are streets and waterways galore. Neighbors are actually out and about either walking, skating, driving, flying, or boating. And the best part about the new area .. nothing is cookie cutter. Everything was cookie cutter in the old neighborhood. And though we all have the same four homes in our mailbox/lifesaver we have them and can change them at will so even the neighborhood scenery can change at any moment because someone can rez a different house.

Also, people are excited!!! And this excitement is contagious. Consequently, people are sharing their excitement and getting to know one another. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 12

Thanks for all the input so far, I love to ask the "why" of things and learn about people's wants, needs etc. 

I owned an A frame Tahoe home for a couple weeks when I became premium. Then I abandoned it, in hopes of getting on the new continent. It took a week of refreshing to hopefully get an abandoned house on the new continent. However, I got an abandoned houseboat. I'm hoping to temporarily swap it with someone who has a traditional home. (See my thread "House Swap").

But if I have to stay in the houseboat for now, I'll adapt and make the best of it. Sometimes things happen for a reason and I may get some great new friends. 🤸‍♂️

• Like 3

Clarice, You say that you abandoned your Tahoe in hopes of getting on new continent?  I have old style myself.  Must I abandon my old Linden home in order to get on a waiting list or something?  Sorry, but I just don't understand how this works out.  What is the thing one must continue "refreshing" in order to get a new-style home?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.