I went to the loo, and missed it.

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

No, sweetie, I don't work for LL or know anyone who works for LL. 

And I rather enjoy a good debate, sunshine. As long as people have something to say, so do I. Have a magnificent day, darling! 

Major snark😜

(make that "snarky")

Edited by GinaFreumann

1 hour ago, moirakathleen said:

Another thing they could have done  - limit these first releases to just brand new accounts, and have existing accounts wait until there were enough regions created for all remaining existing premium accounts.   The group that I think was most short-changed from the existing process were the brand new accounts who go premium right away so that they can have a Linden Home while they're learning about how everything works in SL.  

ETA:  And I fully realize newcomers going premium can still get an older Linden Home, but so can existing premium members.

Part of what is so frustrating for people that signed up recently just so they could get the new houses is that that is exactly what LL is currently promoting for the Premium membership. 

Those of us that have been around for a while, know that the advertising cannot possibly be fully met at this point.  However new Premium members, especially if they don't hang out in the forums, are going to see that ad and think "look at that awesome house/houseboat I can get RIGHT NOW".   I do think LL failed on that particular point. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Part of what is so frustrating for people that signed up recently just so they could get the new houses is that that is exactly what LL is currently promoting for the Premium membership. 

Those of us that have been around for a while, know that the advertising cannot possibly be fully met at this point.  However new Premium members, especially if they don't hang out in the forums, are going to see that ad and think "look at that awesome house/houseboat I can get RIGHT NOW".   I do think LL failed on that particular point. 

I agree a disclaimer about availability might have been wise. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

I agree a disclaimer about availability might have been wise. 

Before today, I (would have) said a disclaimer about availability wasn't necessary, because it's implied. After having missed out this round as well, due to an unfortunate, but very brief computer restart, I think such disclaimer is indeed probably in order. Something along the lines of "Your chances of getting a new Linden home are close to zero, and will be so for the foreseeable year or so." Or am I sounding too bitter now?! See, the first time around, I didn't mind all that much: after all, I had waited too long myself. But this time, I was vigilent (and pretty much so for the entire month), yet still missed the boat.

Yes, there's refreshing; but, practically, it feels a mite unreasonable expecting ppl to be refreshing 24/7, for an entire month, and then likely still miss out because, well, for no greater reason than maybe not be present for that, what, 15 minutes window?! I will still be refreshing, periodically. Or, better, see if I can still whip up something in Perl with 'use WWW::Mechanize;' or the like, and get me a home that way.

• Like 1

There has never been an official email news about the new Linden Houses. Usually you will receive an e-mail about important news. Many people do not know anything about the new thing. Hard to imagine what would happen then. That yesterday was like a bad joke. I never would have thought something like that. Maybe few days availability, but only a few minutes? 😲

• Like 1

The big problem for @Patch Lindennow is that his reputation is shot.  He may not realise it, and I personally am very sad about it as he is a good bloke, but he will never be trusted again.  This is the second major misreading of the scale of the demand.  Instead of one copy of the SSP region, they should immediately clone the whole thing somewhere else, that would fix the demand for both houseboats and new homes.  If they change the contract now, to allow LL to move you to 'an equivalent property' at their discretion, they can even go back and fix it later.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 4

17 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

The big problem for @Patch Lindennow is that his reputation is shot.  He may not realise it, and I personally am very sad about it as he is a good bloke, but he will never be trusted again.  

I don't agree with you that Patch's reputation is shot.

The demand was very high and the houseboats were taken in 30 minutes. I myself could have had one of the new houseboats with my alt. Of course I didn't.

That's life. There will be new houseboats/houses. So keep calm please ;)

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

The big problem for @Patch Lindennow is that his reputation is shot.  He may not realise it, and I personally am very sad about it as he is a good bloke, but he will never be trusted again.  This is the second major misreading of the scale of the demand.  Instead of one copy of the SSP region, they should immediately clone the whole thing somewhere else, that would fix the demand for both houseboats and new homes.  If they change the contract now, to allow LL to move you to 'an equivalent property' at their discretion, they can even go back and fix it later.

I think Patch'es reputation remains fine. :) The man worked as hard as he could. You simply can't produce that many homes, that fast. I also think the situation was simply compounded by the fact that the old homes were kinda crappy (no offence, but a stairs consisting of just an elevated 'plank' with a texture slapped onto it, that is soooo 2005). So, I will subject him and his team to no greater charge than that of underestimating how badly new LL homes were really needed after all these years.

I kinda like your idea of copying entire landscaped regions, though. Or at least I don't see that as something horribad, as (within the region) you would still be enjoying the innovative and unique design for this new style of land. And it would pretty much solve the grave home shortage overnight.

• Like 4

I have been on SL for 15 years this August and is So Sad to see when people are commenting and bashing on a Long term Linden Lab Employee, He is doing his best to provide information/ and a  service to everyone,  but to question his reputation of a person of  whom has been with Second Life for over 11 years is going beyond. Stupid.   

I myself would love a  New Linden home,  I  have been a  Premium Member since 2004,   But to say we would never trust his reputation ever again due to informing on the forums is sad to see. The homes will come out in regions in abundance in time,  So please  Stop having a bash session on someone is just doing their job and awesome job at that rate in my book.  

Parijanee  Dragonfly

Edited by Parijanee Dragonfly
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Parijanee Dragonfly said:

I have been on SL for 15 years this August and is So Sad to see when people are commenting and bashing on a Long term Linden Lab Employee, He is doing his best to provide information/ and a  service to everyone,  but to question his reputation of a person of  whom has been with Second Life for over 11 years is going beyond. Stupid.   

I myself would love a  New Linden home,  I  have been a  Premium Member since 2004,   But to say we would never trust his reputation ever again due to informing on the forums is sad to see. The homes will come out in regions in abundance in time,  So please  Stop having a bash session on someone is just doing their job and awesome job at that rate in my book.  

Parijanee  Dragonfly

Edited by Parijanee Dragonfly

3 hours ago, AngieRath said:

I don't agree with you that Patch's reputation is shot.

The demand was very high and the houseboats were taken in 30 minutes. I myself could have had one of the new houseboats with my alt. Of course I didn't.

That's life. There will be new houseboats/houses. So keep calm please ;)

Calm as a very calm thing.  And I got my Houseboat yesterday too.

Linden Labs marketing sucks, it may not be@Patch Linden's fault, but he is the one we see.  A very simple bit of market research would have identified the pent-up demand for modern homes, and would have given an approximate size to that demand.

Anyone waiting on the border to the new Houseboat area yesterday, before the release, would have realized that there was at least enough demand for twice as many.  Twice as many is easy if you don't mind two regions having the same map.  All LL had to do was look.  They didn't, or if they did, they stuck two fingers up at their best customers.

I don't know who said it first, and nor does Google, but the secret of business has often been described as 'Get Customers, Keep them'.  So they pass test 1, but are in danger of failing test 2.  This is a crying shame, and I'm just glad I'm not a stockholder.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, anna2358 said:

Calm as a very calm thing.  And I got my Houseboat yesterday too.

Linden Labs marketing sucks, it may not be@Patch Linden's fault, but he is the one we see.  A very simple bit of market research would have identified the pent-up demand for modern homes, and would have given an approximate size to that demand.

Anyone waiting on the border to the new Houseboat area yesterday, before the release, would have realized that there was at least enough demand for twice as many.  Twice as many is easy if you don't mind two regions having the same map.  All LL had to do was look.  They didn't, or if they did, they stuck two fingers up at their best customers.

I don't know who said it first, and nor does Google, but the secret of business has often been described as 'Get Customers, Keep them'.  So they pass test 1, but are in danger of failing test 2.  This is a crying shame, and I'm just glad I'm not a stockholder.

Yes, Patch Linden is the one we see, but that's, frankly, a rather p*ss-poor excuse to... No, let me rephrase that in a nicer way. :) Just because he's the one present here, doesn't mean he should have to take the brunt for all home-frustrations here. Another way of looking at this is simply: "Hey, at least he's the Linden being here!" In all seriousness, though, I am uncomfortable with ppl bashing Patch over this -- it's not personal, so let's not make it so, k?

As for having underestimated demand, yes, they have (even though, at first, it was denied a bit). Thing just is, as evinced with the Linden homes, is that 'demand' has a funny way of getting circular: the old homes were kinda crappy (by today's standards), and thus not in high demand; and because they weren't in high demand, LL likely never figured they could use some TLC. Circle complete. Until, at some point (apparently) someone got a brainwave, and realized that demand might rise (yea, sore even, as we now know), as soon as they were to bring these homes up to the level of modern SL life. And while it sucks I didn't get one yet, as I've said before somewhere: high demand denotes high quality. And that, at the end of the day, can only ever be a good thing.

• Like 3

I am in complete shock and disgusted on how people are talking nonsense about the Lindens. Most all having been practically begging one way or another for a major change on SL, however it may be, and we finally got it. They did not have to do this for all of us. I am sure there are new changes soon to come that was on people's wish list. One thing at a time. Most of us wanted a community, we have many now, with more to come 'soon' xD We should be thanking them, not scolding them. Everyone will get their new home. And yes I have one just from yesterday, and I almost didn't get one. I got one thankfully when there was only 20 left xD whew!  But I stayed up all night just excited and enjoyed that almost everyone came together and celebrated this new beginning. Thank you LL for all that you do. This is amazing. 

• Like 11

35 minutes ago, AtriaLightmare said:

I was wondering something like this too, is it really difficult to take a copy of the finished area and make it a template and apply it other places? Good old CopyPasta is a life saver.

Copy pasta gets you something like the old Linden homes. These new regions are individually designed and are works of art. I know which I prefer!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, anna2358 said:

I think they knew the demand was far larger than the availability and probably closer to ten times what they had available.  I’m sure they wish they could have magically made enough that everyone would be happy but that’s not possible! 

Can you imagine what would have happened if the need for Rez zones wasn’t discovered until 20,000 homes had been built?  LL is listening to what we want and doing their best to accommodate every reasonable suggestion into their work as it progresses.  We are SO LUCKY to be included in this!  LL could have done whatever they want but they chose to include everyone in the process and try to give us what WE want!

Come and join in the celebration of the creation of this unique continent instead of exhibiting a toddlers temper tantrum and pouting, hurling insults, accusations and demands.  The next batch of cookies is already in the oven!  Let’s go sailing and driving and flying to our heart’s content until the next batch is ready!

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

So we know now what to tell folks I guess when new places come out LOL.  

I NEVER received any notice about Patch updating his thread, even though I have "instant" notifications turned on.  I may get it tomorrow ^^ so likely that isn't the best advice for the future. ...

Today I found an Email in my postbox - it was datet " 15.05.2019 um 18:55 Uhr " means 9:55 am your SL time - it informed me about the update patch made - the exact same minute he made it. So if I had watched my mailbox instead of the forum it would have been not to my disadvantage!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Today I found an Email in my postbox - it was datet " 15.05.2019 um 18:55 Uhr " means 9:55 am your SL time - it informed me about the update patch made - the exact same minute he made it. So if I had watched my mailbox instead of the forum it would have been not to my disadvantage!

Good to know. I understand that is how it is supposed to work. As I said, I did receive the "in 24 hours" notice -- just not timely. I have still not seen a mailing with yesterday's important post. No spam filter, checked the on-line webmail option for things "stuck there". All OK at that end.  So glad it worked for some and thanks for reporting. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, anna2358 said:

Linden Lab (it's not plural and you didn't include an apostrophe, so...) may or may not be very good at marketing. But the fact is your argument would mean that no one gets a newer LL Home until January. 2020. Get a clue. 1) doing it that way would create major disgruntlement across the grid. 2) Doing it this way, trying to fill the demand as *fast as they possibly can,* allows you to have your houseboat now. It also creates major buzz for Linden Lab (not plural).

@Patch Linden is not only an amazingly stand-up guy, but he has gone out of his way to create that "LL Homes Update" thread, he has even given everyone 20-hours notice, he is giving us information and communicating with us a thousand-fold more than Linden Employees *ever did* before. These are things he absolutely did not have to do and if he never did, no one would even blink because it would be status-quo.

Perhaps his reputation or the reputation of the entirety of Linden Lab (not plural) is lost to you. But only to you. Which makes it your own loss, because this is the first time since the very old "pioneer LL-hands-off-everything" days, and the Blake Sea creation, and original LL Homes that things even started looking exciting with regard to anything coming from them.

But it's the in-thing to bash on Linden Lab (not plural) and it always has been since the beginning. So, do have at it.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Good to know. I understand that is how it is supposed to work. As I said, I did receive the "in 24 hours" notice -- just not timely....

I have no "24 hours notice" - I didn't know somthing like this existed and Patchs Posting is the only one I follow! - Maybe THAT made the difference! ;)

• Like 1

I wish people who are bitterly bashing on Lindens would stop and think about how many hours of overtime they and the moles have put in to get out this new round of houseboats, just to try to get more people into homes as soon as possible. Years ago, I was friends with a mole, and I can tell you from my own observation that they work HARD.

For instance, I see Abnor on at all hours, so that I wonder if he ever sleeps! The Lindens and moles are clearly working their butts off to make things happen as quickly as possible while maintaining the integrity of the Bellisseria vision (so no, no cookie cutter nonsense!), yet we still have folks whining and insulting them to the point it's a miracle we are getting anything delivered at all.

It would be easy enough for them to say "sorry, we are working on the SL birthday bash for now; we will get back to new houses in a couple of months", but no, they are working even harder instead. Have the complainers stopped to realize that Lindens and moles have RLs too, they do require food and sleep, and maybe even like to play with their kids, say "hi" to their spouses, and I dunno, maybe even TRY to have a bit of fun In SL themselves now and then?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.